DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Never seen it and never will.

Truely awful. Not even Olivia Wilde could keep my eyes on the screen. It was just an interesting idea poorly realised and is Favreau's biggest mis-step. More then Iron Man 2 which I don't hold him completely responsible for

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

I rewatched it last week. Forgot just how bad it was. 

Olivia Wilde was very pleasant to look at though. 

I don't think I've seen her in anything good yet. As soon as I see her name in a cast I assume that film will be shit.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Surely The Fog should be the next one to get the John Carpenter rebootquel treatment after the success of Halloween? There's also no added complication of a bunch of sequels to ignore either. It's a great horror film but it's nuts that it's not quite one of his very best.

I'd love a good remake of the Fog and with the success of Halloween I'd be shocked if we don't get a few more horror remakes popping up. The remake of it they have already made is only good for one thing, and that's showing how easily you can made a terrible horror film. It just fails on every single level. 

I wouldn't mind someone trying to remake Prince of Darkness as well. The original is crazy and was probably Carpenters biggest flop, but it's constant nods to Quatermass and The Pit and general crazyness are great fun.

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Truely awful. Not even Olivia Wilde could keep my eyes on the screen. It was just an interesting idea poorly realised and is Favreau's biggest mis-step. More then Iron Man 2 which I don't hold him completely responsible for

Favreau's biggest mis-step for me is Chef, I've said before on here that it's one of my all time worst films, it's dreadful. 

• Paid Members

@chokeout- Interestingly, Prince of Darkness was apparently one of Carpenter's biggest financial hits when calculated on a percentage basis of budget. Critically though it was panned but has received a lot of deserved reappraisal in recent years. It's an absolute masterpiece, I watched it again last night.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator
23 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Favreau's biggest mis-step for me is Chef, I've said before on here that it's one of my all time worst films, it's dreadful. 

Wow. I was really heartened by Chef, not because of the subject matter but because it was a gentle, warm tale of a guy trying to do right by his son and his sanity. Really enjoyed it. I can understand not liking it but worst film of all time? 

Does it help that I hate Favreau in everything else?