DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Watched Ready Player One last night.

The romance subplot is beyond forced. The female lead is the sort of "bad-ass rebel chick" that no one should have written after The Lego Movie played up every cliche imaginable for that role.

And somehow it's still 10 times more palatable and less cringe-worthy than it was in the book.

11 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The Taking of Deborah Logan is REALLY good, especially for a found footage horror film. Nothing new but executed extremely well with a really brilliant and subtle ending shot. Good fun.

Nobody asked but my top five found footage horror film ranking would be:-

1. [REC]
  2. Trollhunter
  3. [REC]2
  4. The Taking of Deborah Logan
  5. Man Bites Dog

Honourable mentions for Cloverfield, Lake Mungo and Chernobyl Diaries.

Worst five:-

1. Exists
  2. The Dyatlov Pass Incident
  3. Paranormal Activity
  4. The Bay
  5. The Last Broadcast

Dishonourable mentions to Creep, Cannibal Holocaust and Diary of the Dead.

pretty much nailed it on the head.  the only thing I would add is The devil inside, grave encounters and VHS Series in the honourable mentions

12 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The Taking of Deborah Logan is REALLY good, especially for a found footage horror film. Nothing new but executed extremely well with a really brilliant and subtle ending shot. Good fun.

Nobody asked but my top five found footage horror film ranking would be:-

1. [REC]
  2. Trollhunter
  3. [REC]2
  4. The Taking of Deborah Logan
  5. Man Bites Dog

Honourable mentions for Cloverfield, Lake Mungo and Chernobyl Diaries.

Worst five:-

1. Exists
  2. The Dyatlov Pass Incident
  3. Paranormal Activity
  4. The Bay
  5. The Last Broadcast

Dishonourable mentions to Creep, Cannibal Holocaust and Diary of the Dead.

How come you disliked Exists so much? I would have it in my top 5.  Recently watched Found Footage 3D and that was really good. I enjoyed all the V/H/S films to and of course The Blair Witch Project.

Edited by Twatters

• Paid Members

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody last night.

I absolutely loved it but I can't say everyone would feel that way, I love music stories, I've read a good 10 different musician biographies in the last couple of years and I'll watch any music documentary. I'm also a huge Queen fanboy and Freddie is one of my heroes.

Having said that it's very cheesy, almost like a stage musical or soap opera in lots of ways and lots of the big moments are extremely on the nose. It is very sugar coated and done without a great deal of subtlety. It's all really fun though and does a good enough job of getting across the history of the band and a decent peek into why Freddie was so amazing and what was going on in his head.

Mike Myers is in it too which is a treat because I love him and he's never in anything.

Bryan Singer had the sole directing credit for it which surprised me. 

Minor spoiler for something that's different in the movie and real life 

I'm 99% sure they bought him getting AIDS forward 2 years, this is because it's more cinematic for him to have it going into Live Aid, that's the sort if film it is

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody last night.

Bryan Singer had the sole directing credit for it which surprised me. 

I am sure because of how much of the filming they had completed at the time it had to be given to him and not as a co-director with Dexter Fletcher. I remember reading about it when he took over which is a shame for him really

I hated Bohemian Rhapsody. I mean I don't like Queen, but Freddie's story is an excellent one ripe for a brilliant film. Bar the main performance which is outstanding, the rest utterly glosses over his excess and seems to frame it that being gay is the reason for all his angst.

The rest of the band are portrayed as sensible dullards which if anyone knows Brian May's reputation as a party animal, is bollocks.

Mixed bag the last few days where I've just been choosing random films on Netflix whilst I suffer in my bed

21 & Over

I really like Miles Teller, but this was shit. Not funny at all, and not one of the genres best.

The Package

Incredibly shit. Incredibly, incredibly shit. Friends go camping, lad chops his cock off and the race is on to get it reattached. Honestly wondered what I was doing with my life at the half way point of this, but I don't like not finishing something once I've star

Bridget Jones Baby

I remember quite liking the first one when I saw it, not sure if I ever saw the second, and I think Zellwegger is very watchable. This was...OK. Too long by about half an hour, but brightened up by Patrick Dempsey and the all too infrequent scenes with Jim Broadbent. Oh, and Sally Phillips.

Some Kind Of Wonderful

A John Hughes film that I hadn't seen. Very good. Lea Thompson is utterly gorgeous in this (although not a patch on her daughter), and I liked the skinhead character more than I thought I would. Eric Stoltz I always enjoy, and I love the way he talks, so calming. He should do some ASMR videos.

Stir Crazy

Just superb. You can tell that Wilder and Pryor had fun making films together, and the way Wilder responds to Caesar Geronimo with "A PRICK??? Boy did I hear that wrong" killed me.

Last Vegas

Continuing my mission to watch every Robert De Niro film whilst I research my never to be started podcast about him, this was alright. I feel like I've seen more of this Bobby D than I have the vintage years if that makes sense, but to be honest I could watch him do anything and I'd like it. Was surprised at how old Kevin Kline was.

Today I'm either going to watch all The Mummy films or all of The Expendables ones as I've never seen any of them. Fun times.

MV5BMTQ3MjI2MDY2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDgw

"After one too many encounters with The Spiders (a rival gang), The Ravens’ leader’s girlfriend tells him to quit the gang or it’s Splitsville. He does so, but the leader of The Spiders is hellbent on revenge and arranges the murder of the girlfriend. That ticks off the boyfriend, who wreaks havoc with the two gangs, who have joined forces in order to pull off a security truck heist.

The story of making Deadbeat at Dawn.is almost as awesome as the story told during the movie.Deadbeat at Dawn. Director Jim Van Bebber won a scholarship to go to film school. He went for a year, then took his second year student loan and put it toward making a movie. Over the next four years, and on a budget of around $10,000, Van Bebber busted his butt to make a movie that he wanted to make. He wrote, directed, edited, starred in, designed the effects for, and did his own stunts in a gritty, nihilistic movie set in an Ohio that most folks in the 1980’s would rather pretend didn’t exist. After all was said and done, and years of hard work were put to film, we got.Deadbeat at Dawn."

I'd never heard of this movie before noticing the good 'ol Arrow label would be bringing it out on Blu Ray. But it sounded interesting so I picked it up on its release this week. For something that costs so little, I very much enjoyed it. It's gritty, violent, cheesy and a product of its time. But you can tell the dedication Van Bebber put into this. Not just by reading the above but by what you see on screen too. It's an obvious labour of love and for what it says out to achieve, it works for the most part. Intense, bloody, well choreographed fight scenes, gruesome nightmare scenes and the ultimate revenge showdown, it's all well filled with a passion.

I'd recommend checking this one out.

• Paid Members

Today I watched Venom. The 1981 one, of course. It's 100 times better than the Tom Hardy one, which I haven't seen, and not just because it's got Klaus Kinski AND Oliver Reed in it. Great fun, perfect for all Ollie fans.

I also watched a werewolf film called Bad Moon that was pretty good. It has possibly the best dog actor in it, aside from Eddie from Frasier, that I've ever seen.