DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:27 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Just watched Maniac Cop 2 and 3. The second one is the best of the series, there's a fire stunt in there which is legitimately one of the most lunatic things I've ever seen. It's great fun.

The third one's a bit of a mess in terms of its plot and makes no sense at times but again it's pretty good fun and has a bizarrely talented cast for a slasher sequel.

I fucking love Maniac Cop. The 2nd is defo the best, but all are good. 3 had potential to be the best, the initial plot is quite good, but it's messy, you can tell watching it that it had a troubled production.

Ahhhhhh I just love Maniac Cop. As you say, the cast is great in all 3 films. Bruce Campbell, Robert Davi, Tom Atkins, Laurene Landon, Robert Z'Dar, Shaft, Jake Lamotta, James Earl Jones' dad. There's a crew.

Best part is the flashback scene in the first one (I think you get chopped down version in all 3 films.) It's the scene with Cordell up in court and getting jumped in prison.

I once had a night in my flat with my mates, we got steamin and watched the 3 Maniac Cops in a row, then watched Stepfather from 1987 (another personal favourite.) It was great.

Edited by LEGIT

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Ah crap, now I have to go see it. I'll go see it with my brother next week as he is visiting. He is the one that introduced me to Hudson Hawk, after all. I'm blaming you if it's shite, Scotty

I went in expecting absolute diatribe and I found myself laughing and thoroughly enjoying the movie. I think the gutter expectations worked in my favour on this. 

It's a bit all over the place but it's the right kind of disjointed mess, if that makes sense. I defy anyone to hold in a smile during

the restaurant scene

I'll give you a free shot at hitting me a dead arm, if you hate it Chest, but I really think you might like it. Particularly if you're partial to the Hudson Hawks of the world.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, LEGIT said:

Best part is the flashback scene in the first one (I think you get chopped down version in all 3 films.) It's the scene with Cordell up in court and getting jumped in prison.

Yeah, that bit's cut to shreds (in the first film). Cordel is knifed A LOT more times than appeared on the VHS version. Probably goes a bit over the score. BBFC prob got that right there. Fight before the knifing is longer too when he's tossing them about. I'm almost sure Cordell gets his throat slit too in the uncut version too before the blood goes down the sinkhole.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Yeah, that bit's cut to shreds. Cordel is knifed A LOT more times than appeared on the VHS version. Probably goes a bit over the score. BBFC prob got that right there. Fight before the knifing is longer too when he's tossing them about. I'm almost sure Cordell gets his throat slit too in the uncut version too before the blood goes down the sinkhole.

Yeah but it's been uncut for near twenty years now. Back in the 80s the BBFC were proper snip happy. They butchered practically everything.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, DEF said:

Yeah but it's been uncut for near twenty years now. Back in the 80s the BBFC were proper snip happy. They butchered practically everything.

Yeah, the "Maniac Cop" Blu Ray is uncut isn't it? I don't think Cordell's throat was slashed, I think his whole face was slashed. I remember that bit.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Yeah, the "Maniac Cop" Blu Ray is uncut isn't it? I don't think Cordell's throat was slashed, I think his whole face was slashed. I remember that bit.

Yeah the Blu-ray is the Uncut theatrical version and the previous DVD was the uncut extended Japanese version.

• Awards Moderator
9 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Yeah we saw that last night too. I enjoyed it, but the final act felt along with certain other parts felt a bit rushed, which for a film that went 2hrs15 might sound like an oxymoron.

There weren’t many dry eyes in the cinema by the end when

Reveal hidden contents

Jackson commits suicide, even though it was foreshadowed within the first 5 minutes, and Charlie the dog (Cooper’s real life pet) pulled the ‘Seymour waiting for Fry’ spot

I didn’t think the songs were terrible, but didn’t think they were great either, even though they were performed well.

Needed more Sam Elliott though, all films need more Sam Elliott

I’m glad I thought ‘fuck it’ and read your spoiler tag there. I don’t think I could cope with that last bit. 

Any dog doing a Seymour is going to result in tears from me.

We almost went to A Star Is Born yesterday but the Vue in Edinburgh isn’t showing it for some reason, and because the other cinemas cost twice as much, we went to see Crazy Rich Asians instead. Which is great. Super charming and ridiculously good looking. May have made the right choice for my emotional well-being!

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Some of the Gaga pop numbers are surely disposable pants by design.

Yeah but they weren't even good disposable pants, though. Folk acting like she's hollering out some prime Wet Wet Wet.

I gripe about it mainly because the song at the end wasn't as good as it should have been.

1 hour ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Yeah, that bit's cut to shreds (in the first film). Cordel is knifed A LOT more times than appeared on the VHS version. Probably goes a bit over the score. BBFC prob got that right there. Fight before the knifing is longer too when he's tossing them about. I'm almost sure Cordell gets his throat slit too in the uncut version too before the blood goes down the sinkhole.

Yeah the uncut version sees Cordell get stabbed in the back, then you get a scene from Cordells point of view of with them slashing his face. They give him a Chelsea smile, rather than cutting his throat. It's all cut on the VHS version but has been releases uncut since then. 

7 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I’m glad I thought ‘fuck it’ and read your spoiler tag there. I don’t think I could cope with that last bit. 

Reveal hidden contents

Any dog doing a Seymour is going to result in tears from me.

We almost went to A Star Is Born yesterday but the Vue in Edinburgh isn’t showing it for some reason, and because the other cinemas cost twice as much, we went to see Crazy Rich Asians instead. Which is great. Super charming and ridiculously good looking. May have made the right choice for my emotional well-being!

It wasn’t showing at our Vue for some reason either, so we ended up going to Odeon which I haven’t been to since Transformers 2. It’s in the middle of a refurb but they’ve change all the chairs to lazy boys, and it’s possibly the comfiest trip to the cinema I’ve ever had and tickets were just under £6 which I didn’t think was too bad

8 hours ago, DEF said:

If I'm remembering correctly,  the then head of the BBFC had a real dislike of knives and sharp implements I believe.

While I'm at it, I'll recommend both Video Nasties The Difinitive Guide sets. Well worth picking up.

8 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

I'm almost sure Cordell gets his throat slit too in the uncut version too before the blood goes down the sinkhole.

8 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

I don't think Cordell's throat was slashed, 

giphy.gif