DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I think it's OK for him to voice his opinion no matter how much he got paid. It's not the actor's job to promote the film. He doesn't "owe" the studio anything, unless you think actors are slaves. 

I think it's a silly conversation because Tom Hardy can act much better than most other actors. Of course it's personal taste, but to say he's "nothing special" is foolish.

Edited by Brewster McCloud

11 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Look, he's a good actor. This is a very silly conversation. 

I actually think he's great, and I don't know the ins and outs of his contract if it included media commitments or not but he could have done what William H Macy did for the Jurassic Park film he was in and say he did it because it paid for his daughters college fees.  Nothing wrong with saying you did a film for the money, as Michael Caine's beach house will attest to.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

I think it's OK for him to voice his opinion no matter how much he got paid. It's not the actor's job to promote the film. He doesn't "owe" the studio anything, unless you think actors are slaves. 

It depends. Quite a few production companies have clauses in their contracts that state an actor isn't allowed to say or do anything that will put the production in an adverse light for the duration of the specified period, on pain of termination of contract and cancellation of monies; what is determined to be detrimental can be open to interpretation, though.

1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

It depends. Quite a few production companies have clauses in their contracts that state an actor isn't allowed to say or do anything that will put the production in an adverse light for the duration of the specified period, on pain of termination of contract and cancellation of monies; what is determined to be detrimental can be open to interpretation, though.

OK, fine, and thanks for the explanation - I didn't know that. But surely all the likes of us should be concerned with is, is does the actor entertain us? To be perfectly honest, I'm not going to lose any sleep over whether or not Tom Hardy is speaking out of turn according to his contract. Do I think he's capable of doing things most actors can't?  Yes, and I'd like to see him do it more. I apologise if saying so caused offense. 

• Paid Members

Watched a couple of really good horror films today. The 1993 Body Snatchers, which I really enjoyed even I didn't remember enjoying it that much first time round (it's not quite as good as the 1978 one still) and a 90s horror film called The Resurrected, which I highly recommend to anyone who's a fan of Lovecraft stories or adaptations.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Brewster McCloud said:

OK, fine, and thanks for the explanation - I didn't know that. But surely all the likes of us should be concerned with is, is does the actor entertain us? To be perfectly honest, I'm not going to lose any sleep over whether or not Tom Hardy is speaking out of turn according to his contract. Do I think he's capable of doing things most actors can't?  Yes, and I'd like to see him do it more. I apologise if saying so caused offense. 

Oh, no worries - I'm not massively fussed either way. I enjoyed the Nolan Batman series, and I liked his turn as Shinzon in Star Trek: Nemesis (though that's probably more down to me being a Trekker than the film being objectively good), but I can take or leave Hardy. Just thought I'd offer clarification.

s-l300.jpg

So yeah, this is fantastic. The movie is bookended by two awesome set pieces. The final showdown in the mall is a masterpiece and a sheer work of art. Chan is wonderful throughout the movie in combining his impeccable comedic timing with a serious tone at the flick of a switch. That final showdown features some incredible work by all involved and its no wonder the movie was christened 'Glass Story' on set.

Plus you get to see Chan doing the Moonwalk whilst trying to wipe dog shit off his shoe.

Love it. Love it. Love it.

• Paid Members

Watched another Spanish movie, The Fury of a Patient Man the other night. This was really good. It's a thriller with a central theme of vengeance but the second half almost has the feel of a road trip film at some points. It's a bit of a slow burn but once things really kick into gear, it's brilliant with a couple of scenes in particular that are unrelenting in both their raw outbursts of brutality and their tension. A special mention goes to a chap named Manolo Solo who hits his portrayal of a small-scale crime boss out the park. I'm crap at describing films and making them sound good without giving too much away, but aye definitely give it a watch on Netflix.