Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Hang on. ITV have given up the licence to show Predator? Next they'll bin off Shaun of the Dead, and then what will ITV4 show? 

Hot Fuzz two more times a week.

Final Score.

Straight to DVD bollocks with Big Dave trying to show emotion with his face too often and Pierce Brosnan phoning it in, which is exactly what the plot deserved.  Great moment when

The Terrorists take over the Sky studio and shoot Tony Cottee live on air, shame it literally wasn't Redknapp but there you go

13 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

E. L. James made it impossible for anyone to make something decent out of her shite books, because she had too much creative control over the film. It's why the sex scenes are so bloody dull and the dialogue is hilariously rubbish (lile her books).

I bet it was a man who wrote it. Like the original "Emmanuelle" book.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

3 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

I bet it was a man who wrote it. Like the original "Emmanuelle" book.

I worked in TV with EL James when in fact, at that time, she was innocent little Erika Leonard. This would have been 2006/2008 ish. It was years latter I found out about her pen name. 

16 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Borgnine carked it 6 years ago unfortunately but yeah, always a joy to see him in anything.

Here he is getting battered by a one-armed Spencer Tracy in Bad Day at Black Rock, one of the greatest films of the 1950s and probably all time.

A friend of mine who's a massive martial arts buff and martial arts movie aficionado told me that that was the first ever Western movie scene to show Eastern martial arts. 

In fairness there have probably only been a handful of westerns to feature martial arts, but it's probably one of the first Hollywood movies full stop to feature them.

Sorry, that's my mistake - by "Western" I meant "Western hemisphere", rather than "cowboy/Western". 

Ahh, fair enough! It did get me thinking about other westerns with martial arts in them. There's some in Red Sun although that's a bit of a cheat because it's got Toshiro Mifune in it. Quality film though, exactly as cool as you'd expect a Mifune / Charles Bronson / Alain Delon western to be.

I didn't know Mifune did a Western. Thanks for that, will see if I can get hold of it.

The only other Western I know to feature martial arts was Kung Fu, but, obviously, a series rather than a film.

The newest Magnificent Seven might have had a bit? I remember very little of that film other than Chris Pratt's character being a total dick, but there might have been a martial arts bit.

I find Peckilnpah's films deeply affecting, but it's very hard to pinpoint exactly why or whether I'm having the intended reaction of the director.  Straw Dogs and Cross Of Iron are hard, unrelenting films.  I haven't seen The Wild Bunch in years, but I remember it being very good.

I watched Paddington yesterday and I absolutely loved it. I've read good stuff about it on here and I thought it'd be okay to watch with the little one. She enjoyed it too which was good. I definitely need to watch the second one. For the kid of course.