DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator
10 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Saw BlacKkKlansman today, a really good film, easily one of the best things Spike Lee has ever done. It's getting criticised by some for historical inaccuracy (Boots Riley has been most vocal) but as a piece of entertainment it really does shine. Adam Driver is almost a guarantee of a great film every single time.

Further testament to the greatness of Adam Driver, this sketch from last week’s Saturday Night Live is hilarious and it’s completely down to him. He’s brilliant:

• Paid Members

Apparently he's doing a new 'zombie comedy' with Jim Jarmusch of all people. I mean, enough of zombies already but this had already won me round even before I've seen it.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Also starring Bill Murray and Tom Waits! A Zombie Waits is surely the peak of the genre.

Sounds like a title for a very high-brow horror book.

• Moderators
On 10/3/2018 at 8:35 AM, HarmonicGenerator said:
On 10/2/2018 at 10:32 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Further testament to the greatness of Adam Driver, this sketch from last week’s Saturday Night Live is hilarious and it’s completely down to him. He’s brilliant:

That was great. Who is the woman who played Samantha in that sketch, what's her name? I saw her in something else recently but can't remember what for the life of me and it's bugging me now.

Operation Finale

Not very well written, not very well acted, but I enjoyed it. Mossad agents track down nazi war criminal Adolf Eichmann to Argentina to bring him to Israel to face justice. Decent cast including Melanie Laurent, Lior Raz from Fauda, the utterly, utterly gorgeous Oscar Isaac, Haley Lu Richardson (who is always a joy to watch) and the always reliable Ben Kingsley. Worth a watch if the subject matter is of interest, but it's no great shakes.

Four Weddings & A Funeral

Continuing my great-rom-coms-that-I-haven't-actually-seen I watched this the other day. It's,,,OK. It's clearly dated very badly, but I thought um, Hugh, er, um, Gr-gr-grant was um, quite, um, err, great, err actually.  Everyone is really ugly in this film. Hugh's a bit lovely now, but yeah, everyone is 90's rough. You can see why it did so well. This is 100% how americans view us isn't it? I bet any american who has never been to Britain pictures it being exactly like this . Was happy when

Simon Callow's character died as he was absolutely getting on my tits. We get it. You're a thespian. You can over act. Well done.

• Paid Members

I watched Summer of 84. Not a jot of originality in it, as you'd expect, but I still like these 80s homage horror things. The ending was certainly different but I don't think I liked it. Worth seeing if you like Stranger Things and stuff like that.

Speaking of the 80s...

Happened upon a showing of Walter Hill's 48 Hrs the other night and I'd forgotton how good it was, mainly thanks to a fantastic performance by Eddie Murphy - he really gets to show his range in this, shifting from motor-mouthed con (he's first seen in his cell, singing a hilarious rendition of the Police's Roxanne) to ass kicking pseudo cop without missing a step. The scene where he single handedly shakes down a hostile redneck bar is note perfect. Nick Nolte just sits back and watches a fellow master at work. What a run Murphy had in the 80s with this, Beverly Hills Cop, Trading Places and Coming to America - not even Bill Murray can match that. 

It is very much a film made in 1982, though, with Nolte tossing numerous racial slurs around in a way that seems a bit forced, even by the standards of the time. This is sort of acknowledged when he apologies, saying something like "Hey, I didn't mean all that 'watermelon' stuff, it was just to keep you in your place." It's still quite jarring, nonetheless, and the film could have easily substituted other insults without losing any of its grit. Oooh, must grow a pair, I'm ever such a snowflake!

Edited by Brewster McCloud
"speaking of the 80s"

• Paid Members

I watched Doctor Strange last night.

I never saw it when it came out, and have sort of fallen out of bothering with the Marvel movies - haven't seen any since Avengers 2, aside from catching a bit of Civil War and being able to remember literally none of it.

I thought it was, in places, visually stunning, and evocative of Steve Ditko's work in the comic, and I liked how, early on, it never quite felt like it was being shot/directed like a Marvel movie. Much of the time spent with Strange while struggling to come to terms with his injury felt like it was shot as a tense drama or thriller. Cumberbatch was better than expected - I was dubious about him in the role, and he spends much of the early part of the movie mumbling inaudibly, but he fits the part by the end. 

The car crash is needlessly OTT, and the first thing that takes you out of the film feeling remotely grounded in reality (an odd criticism for a magic superhero movie, perhaps, but up until that point we're following a character with no knowledge of magic, so the film should feel grounded before that revelation), and an origin story narrative arc is always a bit of a chore, not helped by how quickly they moved from "Strange is a man of science with no time for spiritual ideas" to "oh, right, magic exists, that's fine". 

As with all Marvel movies, it's at its strongest when able to tweak the genre and explore it from other angles, and at its weakest when they put that aside in favour of a melodramatic villain's speech and a CGI-heavy fight scene. The film feels like it sort of sputters to a close, rather than any grand climax.

I enjoyed it, but wasn't exactly hankering for more by the end. Can't see myself being in a rush to revisit it.

9 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

He should be doing more films like Locke, not this superhero piffle. If you want to see him doing a split personality, then watch the Krays. It's alright. 

It’s called Legend

But yea he’s good in that.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Oops. My excuse is that I was listening to Spandau Ballet at the time of posting.

I know this much is true.