DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators

Finally got around to watching the new Jumanji. It was exactly what I expected and a lot of fun.. Kevin Hart and The Rick have great chemistry. Hart is like his Rob Schneider (he's also not funny on his own and an awful stand up).

Jack Black is someone who has really changed my opinion of him over time. There's still a lot of films he's made that just aren't for me, but he always fully commits and when he's in a role I'm interested in he always delivers. I watched that Polka King film on Netflix not long ago and he was really good in that also. Very interesting true story that it was based on..

• Paid Members

Watched El Bar on Netflix last night and found I rather enjoyed it. I went into the film knowing nothing about it apart from the line or 2 in the description on Netflix and it all turned out rather different to that  snapshot of a first impression of what sort of film this would be. I was expecting a tense crime thriller and instead El Bar turned out to rather remind me more of the scenario in REC which is no bad thing as I adore that movie, only without the horror or hand-held camera elements and with some genuinely very funny moments (I swear this comparison does make some semblance of sense). I found it petered out slightly towards the end with the specifics of the situation perhaps being a little too vague for its own good but the premise led to some really quite interesting characterisations, with you managing to feel sympathetic to some extent to most of the characters at various points through despite pretty much everyone also having prevalent moments of utter shitecuntery. 

Personal highlights were Jaime Ordóñez's Israel, a deranged, grizzled but not always unsympathetic homeless man with a penchant for quoting streams of bible verse and being introduced to the very lovely Blanca Suárez. I originally decided on El Bar as I've been trying to teach myself Spanish for a while and felt it was time to check out Netflix's Spanish cinema offerings for some much-needed listening practice but it was a very enjoyable watch in its own right. I would recommend.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

Watched El Bar on Netflix last night and found I rather enjoyed it.

Yes I've seen it too, I also quite liked it. Like you I felt it petered out towards the end.

That's often the problem with films like this - they have a great gimmick, start really promisingly but can't sustain it. Still pretty enjoyable though. The director, Alex de la Iglesia, has made a fair few interesting films in his career, especially back in the 90s. I'm watching Day of the Beast tonight actually.

• Paid Members

Saw BlacKkKlansman today, a really good film, easily one of the best things Spike Lee has ever done. It's getting criticised by some for historical inaccuracy (Boots Riley has been most vocal) but as a piece of entertainment it really does shine. Adam Driver is almost a guarantee of a great film every single time.