DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

The Wife is one of the best films of the year. Glenn Close's performance is indeed as incredible as you may have heard, but Jonathan Pryce keeps pace throughout. You'll probably read "subtle" and "conflicted" a lot when discussing what Close does so well here. For most of the film her face is 88.7% stoic, but there is that lingering 11.3% of sadness behind her eyes, early doors, which nods to something being slightly off.
If you wanted to argue that the ending is slightly contrived, then I won't hold it against you, but I felt the film had earned a little slack by then.

Lucky is a film about getting old, living on the cliff edge of your own mortality and trying to find peace with it. Charming and funny when it tries, and touching when it tries it's hand at that too. Of course, the subject matter is made that little more sharp by the fact this is Harry Dean Stanton's last film where he's the lead (and his penultimate movie). I'm excited to see what the director version of John Carroll Lynch does after this.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Yeah, Lucky is wonderful, I watched it earlier in the year. A really fitting film for Stanton to go out on. Lynch has always been a fine character actor, really interested to see how he progresses as a director.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Yeah, Lucky is wonderful, I watched it earlier in the year. A really fitting film for Stanton to go out on. Lynch has always been a fine character actor, really interested to see how he progresses as a director.

When he popped up in The Founder, I legit thought it was Heyman for a second. But agree, he is one of those journeymen who always puts in a decent turn no matter the film

Rewatched SOLO for the first time since the cinema. I still really like it. I love that the references are subtle (not the fan wankfest that was Rogue One) and that there's no mention of Jedi's etc. It has pacing issues and the cinematography is still awful, but i honestly think its a film that many will enjoy watching at home. Easily the best Star Wars movie since moving to Disney (I liked Force Awakens less each time I saw it)

My hype for MANDY is high

One thing that does bug me though is his name in Inglorious Basterds. There's nothing remotely Beary about hi

That was originally supposed to be Adam Sandler, which would have been 100 times better. Especially as when Sandler does serious, the underlying rage is always there.

• Paid Members

Neither can I. I'd have given that role to Liev Schreiber, based on his unexpectedly great performance as Sabretooth and the only good thing in Wolverine: Origins.

• Paid Members

So I'm kicking off my usual October horror-fest (I'm going to try and watch between 70 to 80) today and I started with The Frighteners, which I'd never seen before, and man I wish Peter Jackson would go back to making stuff like this. So inventive and imaginative, really enjoyed it. Two hours absolutely flies by.

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

So I'm kicking off my usual October horror-fest (I'm going to try and watch between 70 to 80) today and I started with The Frighteners, which I'd never seen before, and man I wish Peter Jackson would go back to making stuff like this. So inventive and imaginative, really enjoyed it. Two hours absolutely flies by.

I saw that in the cinema and at least a couple of times at home. So much fun, great turn by Fox and the ghosts are a good range of characters.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Liev Schreiber is never unexpectedly great.

I don't mean in himself - just that he wouldn't have been the first guy to come to mind when casting Sabretooth, given what a feral and nasty character that is. So I was pleasantly surprised when he absolutely got it bang on.

I was picking up my girlfriend from one of the shops she volunteers at, and I drop off her friend, who is the manager, on the way.  I can't remember why but the subject of discussion was Gary Busey.  My girlfriend said she didn't know who Gary Busey was so I said I show her who he was when we got home.  Her friend wasn't aware that his son was an actor and looked exactly like him.

When we got home, I showed her a picture of Gary Busey and she said "He looks just like the guy in The Frighteners"