DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

The local Odeon is £6 before 6pm on weekdays, there are the odd few films that they charge more for. If you're around Brum then there's a lovely small cinema called the Mockingbird that only charges a fiver or 8 quid with a pint, I'm seeing the new Gaspar Noe movie there next week which should be interesting.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Bicurious Dad said:

Our local Vue put their ticket price to £5 across the board a couple of years back, we've not been back to Cineworld since.

Cineworld is my closest by a long stretch and that's £19.90 for 1 x adult and 1 x child to go see House With A Clock in its Walls tonight. It's because of this I go to the cinema about twice a year. 

Been on a real indie comedy binge lately and the latest watches are

Rainbow Time

Not much of a plot, but it is about an older sibling and his younger brother, who is slow, and he loves making little weird films with him. Stars the utterly, utterly wonderful Melanie Lynskey, who is my absolute favourite at the moment and to be honest, all the turns are great.

Sun Dogs

Young lad who has a condition, although it's never mentioned what, is obsessed with 9/11, the marines and joining them becomes a neighbourhood watch, keeping vigilant in small town america. Stars SuperGirl Melissa Benoist, who is very good, Ed O'Neill, Allison Janney and an excellent performance from Michael Angarano as Ned, the main character.

The ending had me bawling like a baby, it's such a precious moment.

Both on Netflix if they sound like they float your boat.

• Paid Members

The House with a Clock in its Walls isn't bad, really. Actually, it's almost miraculous considering it was made by Eli Roth, who is always fucking terrible and a massive twat to boot.

• Paid Members

Eyeball - 70's Giallo directed by notorious video nasty director Umberto Lenzi. A group of Italians are being bumped off one by one on their group holiday in Spain by a stabby, mysterious Eyeball plucker.

For some reason I've really wanted to see Eyeball since I found out it existed 6 or 7 years ago. Finally thanks to 88 Films fantastic new Blu-ray I've managed to tick off my bucket list.

It's pretty notoriously bad and doesn't have many fans. However I actually think it's pretty good. The kills are pretty tame which is why it might have got a poor rep with gore hounds. But it's a pretty fun and well staged little murder mystery. 

Don't get me wrong it's probably best described as mediocre but it's a fun little film that I think gets a bad rap. This is in no way a top tier Giallo but by no means is it bottom of the rung stuff either.

I really liked how the characters are constantly all staggered in the frame and isolated from each other. It adds to the 'is it them' aspect of the film. Lenzi is sort of known for being a bit of a hack but I thought this was pretty competant and dare I say well made.

The Blu-ray is top notch. A 4k restoration that no doubt is the best the film has ever looked. Really great looking it is too. There's a couple of trailers which look absolutely shocking and the main feature looks immaculate. There's also a feature length documentary on Lenzi on the disc which I've yet to watch.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The House with a Clock in its Walls isn't bad, really. Actually, it's almost miraculous considering it was made by Eli Roth, who is always fucking terrible and a massive twat to boot.

Interesting. What makes you say he's a twat? Everything I've always read or heard from him made him seem alright. His movies are mainly rubbish I agree but he always came off as a good guy.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, DEF said:

Interesting. What makes you say he's a twat? Everything I've always read or heard from him made him seem alright. His movies are mainly rubbish I agree but he always came off as a good guy.

Same. I always feel bad his movies usually aren't much cop*, because he's a really interesting interview and hugely knowledgable and passionate about film.

*having said that, I loved Knock Knock, really liked The Green Inferno, and he's produced some great stuff, like The Last Exorcism, The Sacrament, Clown and Aftershock, so he's definitely a force for good in modern horror.

Is he, though? Since he lurched onto the scene with the Cronenberg/Carpenter-aping Cabin Fever in 2002, he's directed a grand total of 4 horror films, 2 of them being Hostel and Hostel 2, which I can happily live without ever watching again. He recently had the bright idea of remaking Death Wish and revealed he had not a single original thing to add to the increasingly tedious slough of NRA-approved vigilante revenge flicks (Revenge itself being a notable exception). For me, good horror should have wit, subtelty and create a sense of dread by undercutting the audience's expectations. Roths films have the wit and subtelty of Marmite and there's an ugliness to his characters I find offputting. It's like he thinks by making them bovine then so much the better when they get sliced and diced - they're just grist to his mill. 

He talks a good game, but never quite seems to grasp what makes the films he pays homage to successful. I suspect he admires Cannibal Holocaust so much because "Dude, it's like, so fucked up". and probably didn't notice how lovely the soundtrack is. What exactly was he trying to say in the Green Inferno, anyway? That do-gooding students deserve to be murdered? For all its flaws, at least Cannibal Holocaust showed its protagonists being slaughtered for committing atrocities against the jungle dwellers. But LOL,millennial snowflakes are just as bad, right Eli? He's never been more than the sum of his parts. 

• Paid Members

Purely by coincidence I managed to watched two films with more or less the same plot last night.

Offerings - Low budget 80s slasher movie. It's essentially a crap and utterly shameless knock-off of Halloween. Right down to the dubious hamfisted score. The only difference is the Meyers knock off leaves bits of his victims for his final girl to find on her front porch.

The kills are at best very mildly entertaining but very very low budget, with rubbish effects and little tension. 

The acting is uniformly terrible. The dialogue not much better. Probably best avoided by everyone but the most hardcore slasher movie fans.

This is another 88 Films Blu-ray. Unfortunately it's pretty bad. The film looks only a slight step up from and an old vipco film transfer on DVD. It's got a bit more detail but the colours are awful and it's uniformly pretty soft despite an awful lot of film grain. It's a film set mostly in the day fortunately which look ok. It would be unwatchable if it was constantly dark.

This film really needed a proper restoration or at the very least proper colour correction and it's a shame they didn't give it one like they have so many others.

Body Puzzle - Early 90s Giallo directed by Lamberto Bava. In stark contrast to Offerings this is a pretty fancy bigger budget movie. Reminiscent of the big budget made for TV early 90s erotic thrillers. Just without being in the slightest bit erotic.

So it's a much more pleasant thing to look at on face value but sadly amongst the fun and even sinister kills there's an awful lot of dull as dishwater convoluted police procedural. Unfortunately due to that it makes it a tough sit too. 

Funnily the same plot device is used as Offerings and the killer lops off his victims body parts and leaves them for his final girl to find.

The Blu-ray is again from 88 Films and this one is very nice. The picture quality is top notch and even if the film is dull at times at least you have something pretty to look at.

All The Money In The World

Cracking performances from Big Chris Plummer, Romain Duris and Michelle Williams, and a steady hand behind the camera.  Would have liked to have seen the Spacey portrayal, apparently it wasn't as warm as Plummers and at least for the time being the question will be there.  It took a few liberties with what actually happened but a solid film nonetheless.

Been on a bit of a horror kick today, watched 4 different films

Ants! - cheesy B movie from 1977 about a hotel being plagued by killer ants infected by toxins

The Willies - Fun little anthology film from the 80s along the lines of Creepshow and the Twilight Zone 

Rawhead Rex - Irish set film about a god like creature released by a bonkers priest

Mutant - Pretty poor film, very darkly lit and badly acted