DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Yeah, it seems to have mainly been included in the Broadway productions. It's definitely a "luxury" casting, as the actor's only on for about ten minutes maximum, so I'd imagine it'd only appear in productions in large theatres with a high-profile cast.

Hmm, this was at the Playhouse with Christian Slater, so not exactly scrimping. 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Hmm, this was at the Playhouse with Christian Slater, so not exactly scrimping. 

I'm sure. Not saying it'll definitely be included in a big production, just that if it ever is, it'll most likely only be in a production, as it would be beyond the budget of a small one.

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

You're sounding less sure that it's ever happened, now.

Don't see how, I only mentioned a caveat for why it might or might not be included in modern productions. I know it has been done in the US, I've even seen a clip of it from about ten years ago on YouTube.

Terminal

I remember seeing the trailer a while back and it intrigued me, Margot Robbie, Simon Pegg, Dexter Fletcher and Mike Myers!?

It felt like a British made Sin City with a bit of Lock Stick in the mix.

Margot Robbie plays a blinder once again.

Its on Amazon Prime, it never got a proper release.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

20th Century Women

Really great, I love a good coming of age film, and this is delightful. Billy Crudup, Greta Gerwig (swoon), Elle Fanning, and of course, the always amazing Annette Bening, who upon reflection, might be my favourite of all time. Cracking soundtrack as well.

• Paid Members

Agreed with Tony James, that's Driver's only misstep although he's only in it about 5 minutes.

20th Century Women was a wonderful film that I was sure I was going to hate.

I saw Alpha yesterday and it was dead good. Hadn't heard of it until midweek and it's a real shame it's getting no publicity because it's a really good film.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I saw Alpha yesterday and it was dead good. Hadn't heard of it until midweek and it's a real shame it's getting no publicity because it's a really good film.

Was looking forward to it. But only a couple of 2d screenings a day or IMAX 3D. 

Saw Oceans 8. When the best thing about the film is when James Cordon pops up, and I’m no lover of him, it speaks volumes. Sandra Bullock seemed to have the same CGI work done to her top lip that Henry Cavill had in Justice League. The Oceans films have always been entertains if nothing else. This was just boring.

rewatched American Made after. Tom Cruise is almost at his career peak with IM  Rogue Nation, Edge of Tomorrow, this and MI Fallout

• Paid Members

Baby Driver (2017) and The French Connection (1971). I hadn't seen either of these before but I have to say, I really enjoyed both. I'm a bit of a sucker for a heist film, and the musical score in Baby Driver really sold me on it early. The French Connection just happened to be one of those films I never ended up coming accross on Television at a time when it hadn't yet started, but I seen it was in Now TV's movie collection so I stuck it on last night when I had the house to myself. Hackman's relentless pursuit of the bad guys, leading him to be completely blinkered about everything was very well done, as were the train scenes where he is trying to tail 'Frog 1' without being seen, followed by the car chase of the train that Frog 2 is on. A lot of tense moments throughout, very good stuff. A nice Saturday night in, kicking back with a couple of cans. 

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members

I hated Baby Driver but The French Connection is an all-time favourite. He may not know anything about Bond, but Peter Bradshaw did a great article about it a few years back:-

https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2011/jul/14/french-connection

Worth mentioning that French Connection 2 is a really good sequel as well, and worth tracking down.

• Paid Members

Thanks for that D-Mal. I must give the 2nd one a watch as well then when I get the chance. As luck would have it, Now TV have it in their Movie collection as well so it'll be getting watched one of these days. 

• Paid Members

Needless to say it's not as good as the original but it's also far from being some hastily scrapped-together cash-in on a successful original. It helps that it has a top class director (John Frankenheimer) behind it.