DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

10 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I watched this last Christmas for the first time and although I thought it was quite good, I finished it thinking, "Is that it?" I just didn't see what was so absolutely special about it, it seemed like a pretty standard fantasy adventure. I much preferred Willow.

Like all of those childhood classics, it runs the risk of being a letdown if you don’t see it until you’re an adult. I never watched any Star Wars until I was about twenty, when the original trilogy DVD boxset came out, and I was surprised at how shit it is. If I’d watched it when I was six, I’d have loved it.

I might have just been in a bad mood that day, though. I should give it another go.

On 8/17/2018 at 4:54 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Unpopular opinion, but I thought his Oldboy was equal, if not better than the original.

Literally watched this last night. I'd seen it before and enjoyed it more on second viewing. The opening few scenes were a little hammy, but it picks up as it gets going. 

The gasp from my wife when she clicked was worth it alone though. 

• Paid Members

Back To The Future 3 was real good fun. No incestuous undertones is a bonus too. Probably my fave of the trilogy. There's some pretty dodgy logic going on but that happens with all time travel films. Men In Black popped up as a recommendation afterwards so I just let it play. I'm happy to report that It holds up really well. Watched the first Indiana Jones flick as well, which was a great trip down memory lane to a time when heros killed their enemies in cold blood. 

Also, I'm adding the Lethal Weapon movies to my list as I've never actually sat and watched them. Looking forward to that!

On 8/18/2018 at 11:46 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

I hated the first one and boycotted the second one due to the first one's championing of The Sun. Awful film anyway.

I'll never forget the cover of the film Collateral Damage had a top quote from Paul Ross of The Sun that said "Best Action film of the Year"  when I worked in Global Video. Was plenty enough to ensure I never bothered. Sure that film came out at the start of the year too.

I remember an interview with Paul Ross and he said that his readership don't care about the finer points of cinema and nor do his editors, so that's why he uses terms like that.  They just want to know if it's good or bad.  A mate and I used to joke about how Paul Ross would describe films.  Such as Rainman - "The best 'Bloke finds out he has a spastic brother' film EVER".  It's a decent game.

Tonight I watched The Boy.  Someone is hired as a nanny for Bishop Brennan and his wife's boy, but it's a doll and things get creepy.   It was pretty shit but if pushed I'd have to say it was the best Someone is hired as a nanny for Bishop Brennan and his wife's boy, but it's a doll and things get creepy film OF THE YEAR.

16 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Game Over, Man

I really enjoyed the romcom that Adam Devine did for Netflix, but I did not enjoy this.  The cast looked perfectly reasonable on paper, with some fun cameos, but a lot of the jokes don't land or are really stretched.  On top of that there's some really over the top graphic gore for an action comedy with some real stomach churning bits...

He is the worst thing to happen to acting...ever. I assume you're referring to When We First Met. How you ruin anything with Alexandra Daddario in it, I'll never know. Such an ugly, punchable face. He makes me scream.

Rhona Mitra in Game Over, Man though...

27 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

The Equalizer 2

Pedestrian and by the numbers.  Denzel's solid and the action sequences are decent, but you've probably seen it all 100 times before.

I really enjoyed it and found it to be a solid action movie. Denzel does probably make it better than it would have otherwise been though. Also, much like the first film, it seems to be cut in UK cinemas.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

He is the worst thing to happen to acting...ever. I assume you're referring to When We First Met. How you ruin anything with Alexandra Daddario in it, I'll never know. Such an ugly, punchable face. He makes me scream.

He's hilarious in The Final Girls. He's one of those people that just seems drawn to shit projects all the time. He's like a female Anna Faris. Game Over Man is absolutely awful though.

@johnnyboy - I suspected The Spy Who Dumped Me might be terrible. The wait goes on to see Kate McKinnon in something worthwhile.