DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Indeed. I watched it a couple of weeks ago myself. Just absolutely flies in, with the writing just as great as the acting.

Typing of, Adam Driver is now the stamp of quality, these days. From this to Star Wars to Patterson to Midnight Special. All good films and he's brilliant in them all.

If you're after a weekend Netflix effort, I noticed A Ghost Story is available. Proper heart breaking, but so wonderful you forget Casey Affleck is shady - the Sean Penn effect.

• Paid Members

Adam Driver has the golden touch at the moment. Paterson is wonderful as well, plus BlackKklansman is getting rave reviews. He's hilarious in this, his delivery is amazing.

• Paid Members

I think I'm the only person who didn't enjoy BlacKKKlansman. Everywhere I look people are championing it and calling for and Oscar for Spike Lee and little Denzel but I found the whole film smug and poorly acted. Topher Grace is fucking muck.

Funnily enough though, Adam Driver was pretty much the only good thing in it.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I think I'm the only person who didn't enjoy BlacKKKlansman. Everywhere I look people are championing it and calling for and Oscar for Spike Lee and little Denzel but I found the whole film smug and poorly acted. Topher Grace is fucking muck.

Funnily enough though, Adam Driver was pretty much the only good thing in it.

I'm not really a Spike Lee fan. I mean, obviously Do the Right Thing is great but everything else I've seen by him has always felt short of something. I'm looking forward to this but I'm also expecting to be disappointed.

3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I'm not really a Spike Lee fan. I mean, obviously Do the Right Thing is great but everything else I've seen by him has always felt short of something. I'm looking forward to this but I'm also expecting to be disappointed.

Ironically, he is a bit Tarantino for me.  His films invariably suffer when he casts himself.  Malcolm X lost a star from me because he gave himself a good sized supporting role.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Do the Right Thing was brilliant. I also enjoyed Inside Man and 25th Hour, but I don't understand how he's become an institution and is as revered as he is.

Same here. I think he's far more important as an influence on young black filmmakers than he is an actual filmmaker himself.

Do The Right Thing is a top 5 film of all time for me. I still haven't come across anything as exhilirating as Radio Raheem explaining his rings since. I was about 10 when I saw this and it blew me away.

Clockers will always have a special place in my heart, and I would rank it as his second best film. I think it get's unfairly lumped in with the other 'hip hop' films and it's a great flick, if a little long and flabby. Superb cast.

Jungle Fever, She's Gotta Have It, Crooklyn, He Got Game, Summer Of Sam, Chi-raq are all great films, but agree that his influence is more important than his actual films...

But Do The Right Thing though....oof..."I just killed your fucking radio"

2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Unpopular opinion, but I thought his Oldboy was equal, if not better than the original.

The original is my favourite film, although I get why people don’t like it. But I’m glad I’m not the only person who has time for the remake.

I ignored all reviews of the remake and wanted to judge it on its own merit, and as a standalone film it was fine. I didn’t have any issues with the changes that they made, they introduced elements of the manga into it, but it took a real hammering (pardon the expression) because fanboys didn’t give it a chance. There was a lot of studio interference too, hence why it’s ‘A Spike Lee Film’ and not ‘A Spike Lee Joint’, and it flopped because they did fuck all to promote it, it had been in development for years, then nothing about it for ages then it was suddenly out. Roque Baños’ score is fucking awesome too. Lee’s cut was meant to run 2hrs20, while the studio chopped it down to 1hr45. That’s not to say longer is better, but I’d be intrigued to see Lee’s cut of the film, although sadly that will most likely never see the light of day

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Film 4 had a couple of great films on this afternoon, first was My Neighbour Totoro, which I've never seen before (in fact I've never seen any Ghibli film) and was completely blown away with how beautifully animated it was and how emotional the story left me

This was followed by a childhood classic, The Princess Bride, I have it on DVD but haven't seen it in years, still an amazing film and so so funny in parts, particularly the exchange on the cliff between Inigo and a masked Wesley

• Paid Members

I caught Ryuichi Sakamoto: Coda, tonight. It's a decent watch.

It mainly focuses on his new album, with him making it while he recovers from cancer. Thankfully, I really like his new effort, but I noticed a few in the cinema getting a bit restless with some of the more self-indulgent experiments.

It nips in and out of his past, but all a little too brief for my liking. Yellow Magic Orchestra, for example, gets a wee bit of time but it doesn't really tell you much. Same with his incredible Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence work.

It's a shame because there is a really good film in here, but for a man that spends a lot of time of the little details, the documentary betrays that sometimes.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

This was followed by a childhood classic, The Princess Bride, I have it on DVD but haven't seen it in years, still an amazing film and so so funny in parts, particularly the exchange on the cliff between Inigo and a masked Wesley

I watched this last Christmas for the first time and although I thought it was quite good, I finished it thinking, "Is that it?" I just didn't see what was so absolutely special about it, it seemed like a pretty standard fantasy adventure. I much preferred Willow.