Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

The-Foreigner-2017-movie-poster.jpg

Political thriller blended with some revenge. Chan and Brosnan are very good in this and it helps that Martin Campbell is the director, esp when it comes to the visceral action scenes. I liked it.

Yeah, we had a chat about that a few months ago, great film.  Bronhom as Gerry Adams was well skill, and Jackie Chan could have just made a paycheque film but didn't.  Really enjoyed it.

Finally saw Solo earlier, and I'm still laughing about

the little robot wildly smashing the control desk with a tea tray the second his restraining bolt was removed

FUCK THE POLICE

Haha, that whole section was the funniest thing in it.

I watched Road to Perdition yesterday and I'm starting to grow to love Tom Hanks as a serious actor almost as much as a comedy one. Honestly so good in this. Really good film.

Saw Road To Perdition back when it was released in the cinemas. Agreed, very good film indeed. Can't believe it's already sixteen years since then, it felt a lot more recent than that.

Pierce Brosnan taking "Heely" type parts is tremendous. He hasn't done that since the great "Fourth Protocol" with Michael Caine in the 80s.

5 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

He's the heel in Mrs Doubtfire.

Mrs. Sellner was lead heel, with those two fat Chinese lads as her Patterson & Briscoe. 

Ol' Grey Owl was just dating a recently divorced woman and getting on with her three children, he's not out to get Daniel. 

31 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

He does call him a loser though, that day at the pool. Tbf he was a deadbeat.

It's a fair assessment at the time, and the last time we saw his children visiting him they didn't really want to be there. That's not something you can say for them being around Stu.

I think Sally Field is the top heel in Mrs Doubtfire. Homeboy just wanted to have fun with his kids and look after them, she was using his shitty husband skills to judge his fathering which were top notch in my book.

Anyone bothered watching 2001 in the cinema?

It's obviously great, like, but the Star gate sequence is about billion times more engrossing and effective on the big screen.

I think most pleasingly is the film still looks fantastic on the big screen. The fear is it may be easier to see through all the incredible and clever effects, but aside from the monkey suits, it is genuinely a bit of a miracle that it still looks so good by 2018.

1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

Anyone bothered watching 2001 in the cinema?

Yeah, we went to see it last week.  I loved that they showed the presentation in its entirety: pre credit music, aspect ratio change for the pre credit sequence, intermission, the whole nine yards.  It looked stunning and was the only time I'd ever seen it in its pomp.  The VHS I had as a kid didn't quite do it justice, especially on a 14 inch telly.

Edited by johnnyboy

my favourite jackie chan film "jackie chans first strike" is on tonight on itv4, 8.15pm, check it out!