DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

'Back To The Future' was okay...maybe even good. Doesn't hold up that well to a brand new viewer though. The sequel was messy and more over the place but I enjoyed it more, even if the story was unsatisfying and rushed.

Finished off the triple header with 'Blues Brothers' and I was really disappointed that I hadn't watched this movie sooner. I absolutely loved it and it would've had a huge impact on me if I had latched onto it during my teens. I'll probably watch it again this weekend. I'm sure as shit staying away from the second one though.

Two of my favourite films of all time. I did watch Blues Brothers in my early teens and it had a huge impact on me. Really informed my musical taste and sense of humour.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

What else is on your list,  @Accident Prone   ?

The Alien Franchise (mainly 1 and 2, but I'm game for the whole lot)

Indiana Jones 1,2 and 3 (I've only seen bits and pieces here and there. Saw number 4 though and hated the majority of it)

Pulp Fiction

The Great Lewbowski

Reservoir Dogs

The Godfather

Scarface

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Tombstone

Shane

Those are the main ones off the top of my head.

10 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Two of my favourite films of all time. I did watch Blues Brothers in my early teens and it had a huge impact on me. Really informed my musical taste and sense of humour.

Yeah, I really wish I'd seen it sooner. I don't think I'd be any different in terms of what I listen to now and what I find funny currently, but I think I would've taken a totally different path to get there.

1 hour ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I adore Back to the Future. It's a lovely movie.

'Earth Angel' was the very first song I sang to my daughter after she was born. Just kept humming it over and over to her.

That's really lovely Branquey. It's my favourite film of all time, I genuinely think it might be perfect. I've become a bit obssessed over the last few years, and it's my go to whenever I'm a bit depressed. Just ordered all the comics and my 4th poster. Might be becoming a bit of a problem :)

I introduced them to my 8 year old about a year ago, and it's something that we really enjoy together. Took her to the Prince Charles to see all 3 back to back recently and it was lovely experience with her. She wants to be an author and she wrote me a story the other day about Marty and Doc travelling back to World War II which was really good, bless her. I think all 3 are excellent, and the third gets unfairly maligned.

I've seen it, I reckon well over 200 times and the tension I still feel every single time when Doc is struggling to connect the wires together right at the very last second, is unreal. I'm still convinced he's not going to make it. What a film.

• Awards Moderator
27 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I've seen it, I reckon well over 200 times and the tension I still feel every single time when Doc is struggling to connect the wires together right at the very last second, is unreal. I'm still convinced he's not going to make it. What a film.

Lovely! I idly thought of a really brilliant plot for a fourth last year... but I've forgotten it. It was something that entwined all the films together, because my favourite scenes are when they revisit a familiar scene from another angle. Can't recall how it worked now 😕

I guess it's just... erased from time.

https://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/marty_hand_5658.jpg

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Lovely! I idly thought of a really brilliant plot for a fourth last year... but I've forgotten it. It was something that entwined all the films together, because my favourite scenes are when they revisit a familiar scene from another angle. Can't recall how it worked now 😕

That's what I enjoyed the most about the second movie. That whole section where he's at the prom (again) is brilliantly done. 

I knew the films were popular, but never knew they were to such a heartwarming degree. But I'll probably feel the same way about Ghostbusters in a few years.

• Paid Members

I've experienced Aliens, Interstellar, Taxi Driver, E.T, and Back to the Future with the live orchestra accompaniment (Jurassic Park next month). All were amazing, and I didn't think anything could best hearing 'Bishops  Countdown' or 'No Time for Caution' live, but the score for the whole final act of BTTF overwhelmed me in the best possible way. An incredible experience. The chimes...can't explain it. 

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

chimes...can't explain it

I just imagined that in my head... You could've grated cheese on my goosebumps. 

I'm seeing A New Hope with an orchestra soon (my first of these sort of things) and I might explode. BTTF would be fantastic too. 

• Paid Members

The cinema with the symphony gigs are great, @Onyx2, seriously.

Only negative I found out of all them - besides the over inflated price - was during the first half of Aliens when the orchestra lost time at points and missed a few cues but then they came out after the interval and blew my plums clean out of mouth, when it mattered. 

I'm not a big Star Wars fan but my mate saw A New Hope in the 3 Arena in Dublin and he said it was outstanding. 

I know Nolan and Zimmer are comparable to the clap and/or knot fissures on these forums but I'd love to see Inception performed live.