DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I'm one of those sheepish few who really enjoyed Hudson Hawk, and I thought Bernhard was one of the best things about it. Funny, but grotesque and villainous at the same time.

• Paid Members

Crime Story - I love Jackie Chan. He and his stunt team are lunatics. As usual this is no different. It's definitely on the more action than Kung Fu side of his output. Lots of guns, car chases and fisty cuffs. Unfortunately it really drags in the middle where basically theres a butt load of talking and not nearly enough action. When there is action though it's pretty badass. There's a superb fight on some make shift scaffolding over a theatre towards the end. I felt so sorry for a poor stunt guy who falls from it onto some of the theatre seats. Looked brutal.

I watched the US Blu-ray which sadly is a bit of a rubbish looking standard definition upscale. Hopefully sooner or later it gets the proper HD treatment.

Next week Police Story 1&2 get a 4k restoration blu from Eureka. Can't wait for it.

• Paid Members

I watched First Strike at the weekend, speaking of Jackie Chan, and quite enjoyed it. Not as good as the first three Police Story films but you can barely ever go wrong with him.

• Paid Members

For me, Chan's best movie ever is Project A, followed by Police Story and Wheels On Meals. Project A is loads of fun, great action, and any Sammo Hung involvement means the film is automatically 100% better (so that's 200%[/steinermaths]).

• Paid Members

Of course I like Project A but I've always preferred Project A part 2. That's got some insane stuff in.

Funny you mention First Strike D-Mal I've literally just put it on before reading that. The ladder fight and the nuts stuff on window ledges are amazing.

• Paid Members

American Animals - This was actually very good. Reminded me of a Martin McDonagh film in that it doesn't know if it wants to be a dark comedy or a thriller, but struggles to merge both together when needed. All around a good watch and doesn't have that contrived 'cool factor' that McDonagh insists on incessantly clattering you across the face with. Soundtrack is brilliant too.

Upgrade - Now this was fucking fantastic, and a great blend of Science Fiction, action and horror. I really found myself immersed balls deep in this one.  Logan Marshall Green gets a real life upgrade from Shite Tom Hardy to Competent Tom Hardy too.

• Paid Members

Looking forward to both these when the kids go back to school. Some good stuff knocking around the next couple of months, you usually get some decent films in September and October before the Christmas shite starts.

The Hitman's Bodyguard.

Decent enough Odd Couple type film, thought there was genuine chemistry between Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L Jackson, with the latter seeming to be really enjoying himself.  I did love the scenes in Coventry though, even if it did look a bit like Kensington.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

The Hitman's Bodyguard.

Decent enough Odd Couple type film, thought there was genuine chemistry between Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L Jackson, with the latter seeming to be really enjoying himself.  I did love the scenes in Coventry though, even if it did look a bit like Kensington.

I saw this movie being advertised around Amsterdam last year and I immediately assumed that the title 'The Hitman's Bodyguard' was one of those quirky foreign translations of the English language (for example, 'Die Hard 3: With A Vengance' being translated/advertised as 'Die Hard: Mega Hard' in Denmark). 

I then landed in Blighty a few days later and was gob smacked to see that it was the actual, legit, full-on title. I promised myself I would never watch it.

Anyway, back on-topic; I've been watching old films that I really should've seen when I was younger but, for whatever reason, I haven't. Caught up with a few on Monday night; 

'Back To The Future' was okay...maybe even good. Doesn't hold up that well to a brand new viewer though. The sequel was messy and more over the place but I enjoyed it more, even if the story was unsatisfying and rushed.

Finished off the triple header with 'Blues Brothers' and I was really disappointed that I hadn't watched this movie sooner. I absolutely loved it and it would've had a huge impact on me if I had latched onto it during my teens. I'll probably watch it again this weekend. I'm sure as shit staying away from the second one though.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members

Eh, I wasn't feeling it. The missus loves BTTF and the third happens to be her favourite but I just couldn't manage anymore. I'll give it a watch at some point to scratch it off the list but there are other films in my 'never seen' list that have more urgency. Also, it's not like I didn't enjoy them; they were fun romps but they were certainly agitating at times and they weren't very tight. Oh, and the undertones of incest really threw me off. 

A lot of these films that people love as kids and into adulthood are often clouded by shit tons of nostalgia so it's interesting to get a modern, new take on them. I loved Ace Ventura and The Sandlot Kids as a lad (still love them to this day) but I guarantee that an adult in their 30's watching with fresh eyes would scoff.

Edited by Accident Prone