DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

1 hour ago, Scott Malbranque said:

@Keith Houchen Is the new Flatliners shite? I'm on a bit of a supernatural kick at the moment, and we've been watching Stir of Echoes, Fallen, Frequency and the likes, with the old Flatliners lined up for tomorrow night. Was going to give the new one a rally, but seemingly by all accounts, it's a load of gik. My reasoning for still wanting to watch it is that I think Hudson Hawk is an underrated, underappreciated masterpiece.

If you are going to watch the original Flatliners I would not bother watching the remake as well. The original isn't all that good really, so they had a chance to make some improvements and changes and make a good film. Outside of a few minor changes they pretty much made the same film again though. I did not find it to be an awful film or anything, but they really did nothing new or interesting to make it at all worthwhile. Just stick to watching the original.

• Paid Members

I stand by my prediction that The Meg will be a huge flop ($150 million is a LOT for what is essentially a B-movie) but it's also every bit as much fun as I expected and hoped it to be. Jason Statham deserves genuine love rather than the ironic love he gets from most quarters.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I stand by my prediction that The Meg will be a huge flop ($150 million is a LOT for what is essentially a B-movie) but it's also every bit as much fun as I expected and hoped it to be. Jason Statham deserves genuine love rather than the ironic love he gets from most quarters.

Anyone that doesn't rate Statham is a fool. He's a national treasure. His comedy timing is top notch and his action stuff is up there with the best.

I think The Meg will surprise us and do well in China or something. Really looking forward to it. It's the perfect storm for me.

Carrie Pilby

Offbeat, quirky comedy in which the titular Carrie is intellectually advanced past her years, and struggles with societal 'norms'. You know the type. Wool tights, bit knitted hat...

Nice performance from Bel Powley, and an impressive support cast of Nathan Lane, Gabriel Byrne and the always excellent Vanessa Bayer pops this above 'crap young Bridget Jones rip off'. Breezy way to spend 90 minutes to be honest.

8 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Sorry, missed this. Yeah, I've got the director's cut on DVD. It's got Edited Dune Syndrome - overly lengthy, explanatory section using drawings at the beginning. I still enjoyed it, but I went a while back to see the original 35mm at the cinema, and it was so much better. Love that soundtrack too. Saw it in a double bill with The Wanderers, which was decent, but nowhere near as good - although it was fun to see the guy who played Grossberger in Stir Crazy.

I've had the directors cut of The Warriors on DVD for years and have only recently got the theatrical version too on DVD. Much prefer that cut and it's a bit of a shame it's the directors cut DVD that's generally sold and more prevalent tbh.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, zep81 said:

I've had the directors cut of The Warriors on DVD for years and have only recently got the theatrical version too on DVD. Much prefer that cut and it's a bit of a shame it's the directors cut DVD that's generally sold and more prevalent tbh.

The Director's Cut is a travesty. It makes me so mad that the Theatrical cut has been completely out of print since the DC was released. I'm desperate for a Blu-ray of the theatrical cut. I've only managed to sit through the DC once in it's entirety despite attempting it several more times.

Tower Heist

Fun romp to be honest, likeable cast, and I thought Matthew Broderick in particular was really great.

The Bachelorette

Despite having Kirsten Dunst, Isla Fisher and LIZZY FUCKING CAPLAN, this was utter dogshit. Almost made up by the fact that Dunst says 'cunt' whilst getting nailed in a toilet...almost...

Tower Heist is terrible, truly terrible.  One of those films where you feel you've wasted 2 hours of your life watching it.

Speaking of bad films, How It Ends is not good, not good at all and  really frustratingly shit ending.  Netflix films are getting higher budget and look a lot slicker but they need to start giving exciting young directors free reign to make cool films, rather than churn out a disaster movie because their metrics say it'll be popular.

8 minutes ago, Loki said:

Tower Heist is terrible, truly terrible.  One of those films where you feel you've wasted 2 hours of your life watching it.

Speaking of bad films, How It Ends is not good, not good at all and  really frustratingly shit ending.  Netflix films are getting higher budget and look a lot slicker but they need to start giving exciting young directors free reign to make cool films, rather than churn out a disaster movie because their metrics say it'll be popular.

I have watched much, much worse films than Tower Heist. I thought it was good enough.

How It Ends is absolutely shit though, I will admit.

I find the higher concept output from Netflix to be mostly disappointing. Some are pretty interesting and have a decent go at being a different kind of film but most are a waste of time. The lower budget story driven stuff is where they are doing their most entertaining stuff for me. Calibre was a cracker as was I Don't Feel at Home in this World Anymore, which to be fair could have been Indy and quirky as fuck for the sake of it and annoyed the hell out of me  but didn't at all.

44 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Tramps is also a superb Netflix film, well worth seeing.

Tramps is indeed great, Grace Van Patten is super in it.

Little Boxes, Happy Anniversary, 6 Balloons, Fundamentals of Caring, Candy Jar, Catching Feelings, Netflix actually does 'indie/romantic comedy' well,it's just the other things that are very hit and miss.

• Paid Members

Spectral, Okja, Gerald's Game, Small Crimes, The Babysitter, Annihilation, Whatever Happened to Monday and Divines are all really good as well.

If you liked Tramps you should see Adam Leon's debut, Gimme the Loot. It's thematically similar but even better.