DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I've just watched Ant Man and The Wasp. It was enjoyable.

The post credits scene is exactly what you think it is. Leave when the credits start. It's for the best.

• Paid Members

So I had some friends round, we got pizza and beers in, and we watched (and I finally got to see) Streets Of Fire. A fun, typically-80s, Walter Hill action film. Still prefer The Warriors, though.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

Just watched the Wonder Woman film.  Shit a brick, it was bad.  Reminded me of a poor episode of ‘Elllo, ‘Ello.

It’s by far the best of the DC Universe. I didn’t hate Justice League, found it average. BvS was awful. With this I thought it was good, but the rave reviews of it are so off the mark it’s unreal.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Carbomb said:

So I had some friends round, we got pizza and beers in, and we watched (and I finally got to see) Streets Of Fire. A fun, typically-80s, Walter Hill action film. Still prefer The Warriors, though.

Yeah, The Warriors is better but Streets of Fire is great fun. Walter Hill's a good lad for the most part as long as you don't count The Assignment and the fact that he prefers the director's cut of The Warriors.

51-005sn8xL._SX342_.jpg

I totally missed this back in 2015. Really entertaining throwback to the 80's with some nice nostalgia. Great practical gore effects used throughout too. Lawrence LeBoeuf is really endearing as Apple and her friendship with Munro Chambers is nice. Michael Ironside does a great little turn as the over the top villain too.

• Paid Members

Dragon Blade - I've had this on blu ray for a couple of years untouched. I finally cracked the seal today. For some reason I'd got it into my head that this was more dramatic Jackie Chan than action Jackie Chan so I've been putting it off.

Happily I was wrong and it has a ton of action in it. That's the good news. The bad is having to get your head round John Cusack pretending to be Roman and standing a chance in a sword fight with Jackie freaking Chan.

I liked it quite a bit actually but it's a tad incoherent and way to long. If you're at all allergic to dollops of ham it's probably not the movie for you. The amount of cheesy longing gazes the characters shoot back and forth to each other is severely OTT.

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Up - Thought it was lovely and very emotional in places, that scene where it plays out the old boys life with his wife conveyed so much without dialogue, masterfully told.

The film should've stopped after that opening scene. Goes to shit after that magnificent ten minutes. 

• Awards Moderator
6 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

This isn't the unpopular opinions thread.

The kid with the balloons, fine. Grumpy old man has to move, ok. House takes off... this is great! House lands somewhere with birds, dogs, zeppelin, stupid villain... eh. 

Should've kept the house in the sky for more of the film. As soon as it lands it's so fucking derivative. 

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

Have to agree with both @Onyx2 and @Devon Malcolm here and see both sides, like the true Libran that I am.

First half is fantastic and the second half turns into Hotel for Dogs with trees. It's not shite, not by any stretch, but it needed to give itself a kick up the hole for the last 40 minutes.

@Keith Houchen Is the new Flatliners shite? I'm on a bit of a supernatural kick at the moment, and we've been watching Stir of Echoes, Fallen, Frequency and the likes, with the old Flatliners lined up for tomorrow night. Was going to give the new one a rally, but seemingly by all accounts, it's a load of gik. My reasoning for still wanting to watch it is that I think Hudson Hawk is an underrated, underappreciated masterpiece.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members
On 8/6/2018 at 9:58 AM, Devon Malcolm said:

Yeah, The Warriors is better but Streets of Fire is great fun. Walter Hill's a good lad for the most part as long as you don't count The Assignment and the fact that he prefers the director's cut of The Warriors.

Sorry, missed this. Yeah, I've got the director's cut on DVD. It's got Edited Dune Syndrome - overly lengthy, explanatory section using drawings at the beginning. I still enjoyed it, but I went a while back to see the original 35mm at the cinema, and it was so much better. Love that soundtrack too. Saw it in a double bill with The Wanderers, which was decent, but nowhere near as good - although it was fun to see the guy who played Grossberger in Stir Crazy.

Edited by Carbomb