Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

1 hour ago, Dead Mike said:

I have to assume you didn't see San Andreas, Baywatch, GI Joe, Hercules or Snitch?

I've only seen San Andreas and Snitch out of those, I didn't like the former but I did like the latter. Plus I did say "largely".

I decided to watch the film 9/11 that was released last year starring Charlie Sheen and Whoopi Goldberg. I may receive some backlash for this but I didn't actually hate this film. I thought it had some decent performances in it and was an easy watch considering the theme of the film.

Although was reminded after watching this film that Charlie Sheen has his own theories on how the Twin Towers went down...

Watched Anon earlier staring Clive Owen and Amanda Seyfried, and written/directed by Andrew Niccol (Gattaca, Simone, In Time, Lord of War).
I like Owen and Seyfried and the film has some interesting ideas and visuals, but on the whole it is not a particularly good film. It's a really basic and generic sci-fi thriller (without any thrills), that moves really slowly though its 90-minute runtime towards a lackluster ending. You feel that Niccol thought he was making a timely movie containing important messages, when in reality he made a really average sci-fi movie that would have been better as something like a Black Mirror episode.

On 5/8/2018 at 10:03 AM, Bukamania said:

I decided to watch the film 9/11 that was released last year starring Charlie Sheen and Whoopi Goldberg. I may receive some backlash for this but I didn't actually hate this film. I thought it had some decent performances in it and was an easy watch considering the theme of the film.

Although was reminded after watching this film that Charlie Sheen has his own theories on how the Twin Towers went down...

You only need to watch that documentary those French guys did about 9/11 (accidently, it's where the news people get the footage of the first plane going in) if you want to see a film about 9/11. What a heart-pounding thing with all the sounds. It just gets to you. Can't remember it's name. Two French guys. BBC1 used to show it the first couple of years after the disaster.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

3 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Can't remember it's name. Two French guys. BBC1 used to show it the first couple of years after the disaster.

It's called... wait for it... "9/11".

3 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

You only need to watch that documentary those French guys did about 9/11 (accidently, it's where the news people get the footage of the first plane going in) if you want to see a film about 9/11. What a heart-pounding thing with all the sounds. It just gets to you. Can't remember it's name. Two French guys. BBC1 used to show it the first couple of years after the disaster.

I will have to give it a watch mate.

I liked San Andreas, mainly because it had The Rock, Carla Gugino and Alexandra Daddario as the most improbably sexy on screen family ever.  

Faster was fun too, I really liked the Patrick Batemanesque assassin in it, baddies are usually pretty boring in these straight to video action films but he stood out to me. It also has the aforementioned Carla Gugino in it.

I found Baywatch borderline unwatchable though, even the combo of Rocky and Daddario couldn't save that piece of shit.

On 5/12/2018 at 5:37 PM, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I liked San Andreas, mainly because it had The Rock, Carla Gugino and Alexandra Daddario as the most improbably sexy on screen family ever.  

I found Baywatch borderline unwatchable though, even the combo of Rocky and Daddario couldn't save that piece of shit.

San Andreas was just a little bit too OTT.  A friend made me chuckle by saying that the biggest liberty they took with that was pretending The Rock could fit in that helicopter cockpit. +1 for the Kylie cameo though.  However, I appear to be in a minority of one that loved Baywatch.

Book Club

Grey pound cinema gentle rom-com.  A group of post-menopausal women reading the Fifty Shades books is far sexier than the Dornan romps themselves.  Alicia Silverstone is still gorgeous, which makes the whole world seem better.  Your mum or nan will probably love it.  I found it perfectly enjoyable.  (Just in case I got your hopes up, Silverstone is nothing to do with the smut reading, she's just a supporting character)

Deadpool 2

Enormous fun which, metaphorically speaking, brought out the teenage boy in me.  If you liked Deadpool then I can't imagine that you wouldn't love this as it's Deadpool but with more of everything.  Not a spoiler about content, but about existence of credit scenes:

There's a mid-credit scene and montage, but nothing right at the end as it was dropped for being a bit too near the knuckle.  However, there is a funny song at the end of the credits if you want to stick around for that.

Edited by johnnyboy
Knuckles!

That spoiler bit, is it "near the knuckle" or "on the nose"? Pick your cliche! 

1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

That spoiler bit, is it "near the knuckle" or "on the nose"? Pick your cliche! 

I've had a mare there.  Near the knuckle it is.

1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

I've had a mare there.  Near the knuckle it is.

Near the knuckle of your nose, got it.

Apparently, they've had to cut a lot of gags due to time and them being a bit much.

They apparently cut a scene where Deadpool kills baby Hitler, for example.

Anyway, the director is saying they're doing an extended cut on DVD with the ones that didn't make it.

Edited by ColinBollocks

That example was cut due to it being a bit much.  Maybe could do with being tagged as the film only came out yesterday.

3 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

Fair enough.

Cheers.

In reference to that scene - moderate spoiler:

As that was the post credit scene originally it follows that the time device gets fixed.

Edited by johnnyboy