DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

This may be of some interest to @Scott Malbranque who I know is also a big Ben Foster fan.

Just saw Leave No Trace, and it was outstanding. Similar themes to Winter's Bone, also by Debra Granik, but more subtle. Foster is brilliant. He probably won't get much recognition for this but he finally got a lead role his talent deserves and he didn't disappoint. He really is one of the best actors around.

Delighted to read that, D-Mal. I've been looking forward to this one since it was announced. Foster has one of those faces which make him look believable as a haggard, lifeworn middle aged man, or that of a young upstart, with a remarkable range to match.

• Paid Members

@Chest Rockwell I'd say it's worth going out of your way to see.

@Scott Malbranque As much as I've loved him in all the intense character performances he's produced down the years, it's a delight to see him playing a far more subtle and internally troubled character. Would love to see him do more stuff like this.

• Paid Members

Saw 'The First Purge' last night. It's okay for what it is and I quite like the 2nd and 3rd flicks, so I'm always onboard with this franchise as it usually delivers thrills and fun for the time it's on screen.

This installment though, is an exceptionally Anti-white movie - as opposed to its predecessors, which seemingly painted anyone of colour, a criminal - so if anyone who happens to be a sensitive caucasian on these forums is thinking of seeing this, I'd steer clear.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members
On 7/5/2018 at 11:39 AM, Scott Malbranque said:

Saw 'The First Purge' last night. It's okay for what it is and I quite like the 2nd and 3rd flicks, so I'm always onboard with this franchise as it usually delivers thrills and fun for the time it's on screen.

This installment though, is an exceptionally Anti-white movie - as opposed to its predecessors, which seemingly painted anyone of colour, a criminal - so if anyone who happens to be a sensitive caucasian on these forums is thinking of seeing this, I'd steer clear.

I have to say that description makes me want to see it. Not because I am anti-white, but because it seems to be unusual. I know what The Purge is about, but my only real experiance with the series was at Halloween Horror Nights last year. Do I need to see the other films first, as I know this is a prequel, or can I see this and play catch up after?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, The Maestro said:

I never knew this existed! Definitely gotta check this out as I love the original. 

I’ve got a Now movies pass for a couple of months, and it’s on there.

• Paid Members
On 7/6/2018 at 12:29 PM, Scott Malbranque said:

You can see this and play catch up after. There's a few references to the franchise but generally - about 95% of the time - it's its own story.

Thanks Scott. Saw it yesterday, thought it was pretty fun. Not very scary (I assumed that they had a bit of a horror element to them), but thought it was an interesting concept for a series and will enjoy watching the rest of the series now.

27427_1_large.jpg

So, The Man From Hong Kong.turned out to be everything what i'd hoped for; A crazy, entertaining, stunt filled extravaganza of a movie.

Yu Wang is tremendous in the fight scenes esp and has the perfect look and demeanour. You also get to see George Lazenby in non Bond glory and Hugh Keays-Byrne in some non Mad Max glory too.

Filled to the brim with crazy stunts, wild car chases, and fight scenes where you swear someone is genuinely going to get hurt lol. A superbly entertaining ozploitation flick.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, zep81 said:

27427_1_large.jpg

So, The Man From Hong Kong.turned out to be everything what i'd hoped for; A crazy, entertaining, stunt filled extravaganza of a movie.

Yu Wang is tremendous in the fight scenes esp and has the perfect look and demeanour. You also get to see George Lazenby in non Bond glory and Hugh Keays-Byrne in some non Mad Max glory too.

Filled to the brim with crazy stunts, wild car chases, and fight scenes where you swear someone is genuinely going to get hurt lol. A superbly entertaining ozploitation flick.

Blimey, wasn't expecting somebody to mention that on here! Yeah, it's a really fun film, Lazenby seems to be really enjoying throwing himself about in it as well.

Brian Trenchard-Smith was a really fun director for a while before he started churning out cable junk later in his career. This is possibly his best.

• Paid Members

I watched the Alexander McQueen doc at the weekend and it's pretty good. I have a passing interest in his work because a lot of people I like have been inspired by him, have worn his clothes on tour, or McQueen directly pinched from someone I adore (see his VOSS show and Joel-Peter Witkin).

It doesn't show McQueen in the best of lights during a chunk of it. Pointing to him being difficult at times. My big issue with it is they seem to cover his childhood abuse very quickly, or it doesn't get explored enough, because it's clearly a big part in the Bacon-esque aesthetics of his work. Although some may argue, in a bit of a shallow way, that the extensive look at his output is seeing how the abuse manifested and in it's self is explored. Blah blah. Because the horror of life is very much apparent throughout.

Anyway, it's a good watch.

2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Blimey, wasn't expecting somebody to mention that on here! Yeah, it's a really fun film, Lazenby seems to be really enjoying throwing himself about in it as well.

Brian Trenchard-Smith was a really fun director for a while before he started churning out cable junk later in his career. This is possibly his best.

I bought Dead End Drive In, too. Which I'm looking forward to watching.

Saw the Purge today and the Purge series is probably a guilty pleasure of mine, in the sense that you know what your getting, the classic introducing the characters and then seeing how it all unfolds at the end with all the fun stuff in the last 40 minutes or so. I'm not sure its quite as good as the other films but a fun watch and still draws me in every time even though you know from the off start how the films are going to pan out.