DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Yeah I didn't mind it. As far as monster films go it ticked most boxes, has a charismatic lead who has chemistry with his love interest,  and a good few deaths for it's rating. If I was 12 I'd probably love it. I'm definitely calling my next dog Blue as well.

That's my problem with the Jurassic World films. Monsters. Jurassic Park was about dinosaurs. not monsters. That was the draw and it was fucking excellent. They could have made a much better film, with a similar story, if it didn't include this hybrid bullshit.

Fuck Triceraraptor-Rex.

• Moderators

I have no problem with the genetic hybrid idea. But these are just very poorly written and badly made films. They typify the worst aspects of modern Hollywood blockbusters, and their shitttyness is thrown into sharp contrast because the original film is so good.

Kinda like how Due Date felt like one of the worst films of all-time when I watched it because it is essentially a remake of Trains, Planes and Automobiles. But really just an averagely garbage film taken without context.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

I've yet to see it, but it's a little annoying it turned out the way it did - going by trusted reviews. I wasn't a fan of the last one, but I saw Boyona's name attached to this and thought he'd maybe be able to make it better, seeing as he's proven himself to be a good director, but I would presume the studio did their best to sink any ideas he may have that could be interesting/good.

It's a shame because I thought Pratt and BDH were good value in the first, despite what they were given to work with.

Edited by ColinBollocks

Pratt and Howard are a good pair, but they're the wrong actors in the wrong roles in the wrong genre of film. Marvel turned Pratt into a Hollywood hunk, but the guy is still a loveable, slightly bewildered but twinkling goofball. Badass, frowning raptor wrangler he is not. There were moments in Fallen Kingdom where he looked like he was going to cack himself but held it together and that's the kind of hero Pratt is good at.

This might be sacrilege, but if they ever remake Big Trouble in Little China, Pratt and Howard would be fucking perfect.

• Paid Members

Sicario 2 was a really, really good sequel. Until the last 20 minutes, which are a complete disaster. Before that though it was filled with some superb stuff and expanded the characters and concepts well.

Seems to have got off to a flier at the box office though and they're working on a third. I'd like to see Taylor Sheridan direct the next one as well as write it as I've heard the director on this rewrote the ending, which is probably why it's so shite. Sheridan should be directing his own stuff anyway, especially after what he did with Wind River.

• Paid Members
On 6/26/2018 at 12:56 PM, Chest Rockwell said:

Yeah, you can't fault the actors. They carried the first one to watchability even though it was ultimately quite poor.

Have to disagree there. I thought this movie showed Chris Pratt to be completely one note. It was Starloard without the mask. And there is some stuff he does in the first half of the film (no spoilers) which I thought was awful. I like him as a person (other then his pro Trump rhetoric), but he appears to have little range.  

17 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Sicario 2 was a really, really good sequel. Until the last 20 minutes, which are a complete disaster. Before that though it was filled with some superb stuff and expanded the characters and concepts well.

Seems to have got off to a flier at the box office though and they're working on a third. I'd like to see Taylor Sheridan direct the next one as well as write it as I've heard the director on this rewrote the ending, which is probably why it's so shite. Sheridan should be directing his own stuff anyway, especially after what he did with Wind River.

I know Emily Blunt had to pull out of this one due to scheduling clashes. Do you know/think they would bring her back for a 3rd?

• Paid Members

The actors weren't the problem. When the director was called to start shooting, the script wasn't finished. Then parts of it were rewritten as he was filming. Then I think I read that he was taken out of the editing process. It was never going to work.

Pottersville.

Felt like a BBC Christmas special, or a Comic Relief type film.  A brilliant cast for what was essentially a film you'd usually get on those Christmas movie channels.

• Paid Members

This may be of some interest to @Scott Malbranque who I know is also a big Ben Foster fan.

Just saw Leave No Trace, and it was outstanding. Similar themes to Winter's Bone, also by Debra Granik, but more subtle. Foster is brilliant. He probably won't get much recognition for this but he finally got a lead role his talent deserves and he didn't disappoint. He really is one of the best actors around.