DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Knew it was going to the guy from Age of Adaline. I think they’d just announced Solo when that came out and said to the wife they have to cast him as young Solo. Even though that was his only scene in the film, I completely bought him as a young Harrison Ford. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve nothing against Alden Ehrenreich but Anthony Ingruber would have been great casting. Here he is doing Han’s first scene from where they meet him in Mos Eisley

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

:love:

There are plenty of rumours of on-set issues throughout the making on the film. One being that Al Heidenreich had to have an acting teacher on-set because either he or the studio thought he was doing a terrible job recapturing the character.

• Paid Members

Ehrenreich was the most off putting thing in Solo, for me personally. Which is an awful thing when you consider he was the focal point of the movie. He's nothing like Harrison Ford. Not even remotely close to Ford/Solo's mannerisms in that New Hope one.

I'm not a fan of Star Wars though. I can take or leave them and my favourite of them all is actually Rogue One, so I didn't get wound up like my mate did over your man's acting, but yeah, it was a bit off putting, compounded by the videos that Loki and Muttoner up there posted.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the flick and it passed the time nicely, but I wouldn't be watching it again.

Just watched Ibiza, a new Netfllix original as I am in love with Gillian Jacobs and will watch any piece of shit she's in.

It's OK in that lazily watching something that you don't have to think about way, although some of the dialogue is dreadful ("I'm totes avails"), but there were one or two moments which raised a big laugh from me. Richard Madden isn't strong or charismatic enough to be a romantic lead however, but Vanessa Bayer was utterly wonderful, and will be a breakout star soon.

I also watched The Intervention last week, which I really enjoyed. Written and directed by Clea DuVall, with a strong ensemble cast led by the always great Melanie Lynskey (who was in Little Boxes,another indie film I very much liked), it was really well written and acted (can't really ask for much more from an indie flick with a bare plot), and also has great performances from Nathasha Lyonne, DuVall, Alia Shawkat, Cobie Smulders (jesus...), and Ben Schwartz "Jeeeeeaaaaan Raaaaaaaalphiooooooooo".

Bit of a hard watch for me, as some of the stuff between the marriage-on-the-rocks couple hit home hard, but really enjoyed it over all. Well worth a watch.

Just back from seeing Solo. Much like @johnnyboy mentioned, inconsequential but fun enough if your a Star Wars fans and got a spare couple of hours. Donald Glover was good as Lando

Agree with what’s in his spoiler tags too

* L3 felt forced in everything she did & said

* Maul’s cameo puts the whole timeline out of whack as far as how old Solo is supposed to be. Even if the events of Phantom Menace were to happen the next day, he’d still the better part of 20 years older than Anikan, yet somehow younger than him at the end of Return of the Jedi?  he wasn’t in the carbonite for that long.

* Those fucking dice!

* The way that Han was given the surname Solo was a bit of a wet fart

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Nah, L3 was great. It was about time Star Wars really utilised the emotional side that the robots in these films have been given and I thought it was quite clever how they explored it here. Phoebe Waller-Bridge voiced her superbly as well.

• Awards Moderator

@WyattSheepMask

this is set between Revenge of the Sith and Rogue One. Somehow, you're supposed to have watched the Rebels cartoon which explains Maul's return. The giveaway for proper nerds is him having robot legs.

• Awards Moderator

On Solo timeline stuff

(spoilers for Solo and Star Wars animated series)

I'm not sure I understand the problem. Solo takes place around 12-15 years before A New Hope. If Han's in his late teens when he escapes Lady Proxima, and is around 20-ish during the rest of the film, that'd put him in his early-to-mid-30s when he meets Luke and Leia (who'd be around 18-20ish themselves). That would seem to fit for me. Plus it fits with Harrison Ford's age relative to Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher too.

If that makes Han just a few years older than Anakin, then yeah, that fits too - Anakin's not that old when he gets Vaderised after all.

If it's the Maul thing that's confusing the timeline, I'm not sure I quite get that. We know from Clone Wars and Rebels that he's alive - so his appearance got an "oooh" reaction rather than a "what?!?!" from me - and it does fit with the timeline as far as I can see? But if you've never watched any of the animated stuff then I agree that's going to need some explaining if he turns up in a sequel.

Speaking of which, I never thought I'd say this going in but I'd be very happy to see a sequel to this. I'd like to see more of Crimson Dawn, I want some scenes with Chewie and Maz Kanata, if they can do Lady Proxima with puppets then they could do Jabba as a puppet again which would be glorious (hell, let's have Jabba and Proxima in a scene together for ultimate puppety fun)... lots of options.

I'm with @Devon Malcolm on L3. She's no K-2SO but she was great. Although I think my favourite new character was Enfys Nest. I don't know why but I just think she's awesome.

However, I agree with @WyattSheepMask and co on the dice. Overplayed for sure. But then again, you could easily get the feeling from The Last Jedi when they were given so much significance that they were going to turn up a lot in this one, so I wasn't surprised.

@HarmonicGenerator & @Onyx2

thanks for clearing up on the timeline somewhat with the Clone Wars/Rebels talk. I’ve never watched anything outside of the main films and these anthology ones, and judging by the lack of reaction in the cinema outside of one mega geek two rows in front neither had anyone else, so that character showing up did, as Harmonic put it, yeild more of a “what!?!?” than an “ooh”. I’m still not totally convinced by the timeline, but it at least offers some form of an explanation, rather than leaving me scratching my head like I was last night.

So what’s next in the A Star Wars Story series? Boba Fett origin story?

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Awards Moderator
36 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Is it just me that thinks Boba Fett is best left as an enigma? Having James Mangold direct means it could be pretty decent, Logan was great although I doubt it'll be of the same tone.

I want it to be exactly the same as Logan! Boba on a big road trip with his clone daughter and Patrick Stewart. Stephen Merchant plays Salacious Crumb.

• Paid Members

Solo is alright. It never really gets the blood pumping at any point, but it's largely inoffensive. New Solo just lacks the charisma for the role, which I felt was highlighted anytime Donald Glover showed up and had not an issue with the character.

I didn't mind L3. As Devon points out, it's something fresh for a Star Wars film. Although I can see why some may not have been into it, as the character is a bit Rick from the Young Ones, at times.