DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Loki said:

But yeah, I'll probably skip it if it's no good.  Ridley Scott just should have retired a decade ago and left his legacy intact.

The Martian showed he still has some life in him. If he stuck to lighter stuff like that, he could still have an Indian summer to his career.

1 hour ago, Nick Soapdish said:

Ridley Scottis the Bobby DeNiro of directors 

What do you mean?

@Chest Rockwell I actually really enjoyed that, and even enjoyed Bad Grandpa. I love Zac Efron as well so it was win/win. Look out for my Robert De Niro podcast coming soon (been saying this for 5 years now)

Edited by SuperBacon
Pressed save too quick

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Nick Soapdish said:

Ridley Scottis the Bobby DeNiro of directors 

I actually think Robert DeNiro still turns out good performances, even when he's in fucking terrible films. I saw that romcom where he played an old man intern for Anne Hathaway* and although it was total shit he still didn't phone it in and actually elevated it a bit.

* I was on a flight with limited choices and an intention of falling asleep halfway through.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

What do you mean?

@Chest Rockwell I actually really enjoyed that, and even enjoyed Bad Grandpa. I love Zac Efron as well so it was win/win. Look out for my Robert De Niro podcast coming soon (been saying this for 5 years now)

What I mean is that most of the output in the last 20 years has been lacklustre compared to their early career 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Surely that applies to most actors/artists/directors etc as they have less to say/prove etc

Most actors aren't Bobby Though. Sure, your right but here was someone consistently good in good films, eventually end up VOD and The Rocky and Bullwinkle film

• Paid Members

I made the questionable decision of watching the new Flatliners remake instead of Blade Runner last night, it definitely wasn't good but it kept my attention the whole way through and despite the fact that it's complete nonsense I enjoyed it more than I expected. At some point it does kind of turn into final destination with assorted other horror tropes thrown in. Ellen Page and Diego Luna try pretty hard to elevate it above being a b-movie but their efforts are in vain. I did enjoy seeing Ellen in something, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for her and it's been a while.