DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

I actually thought Doom was good, and not just because of Rosamund. 

Where the Rock's character buys into his own hype and totally loses his shit before turning heel. Fitting, really. But Karl Urban was miscast as the grumpy-but-emotional mook until shooting himself up with roids serum. The 'FPS' bit was jarring even though the film needed it, perhaps a few shots of Karl scowling into the camera to hammer his change of character in.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

I considered walking out of F&F8.  That and San Andreas were awful.  Conversely, I loved Baywatch.

I considered walking out of Baywatch, and then I remembered I was hungover as shit and lying on my friend's sofa avoiding having to drive home.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

It looked like the Batista Bomb was teased in Spectre.  Big Dave doesn't have the raw numbers, but he's done a Bond, a Marvel franchise, and now a Blade Runner.  Rock's been in more than one of the worst films I've ever watched.

Big Dave in a Bond film is still really strange. A huge movie for a wrestler to be in, even if it was probably hired muscle (haven't watched it).

• Paid Members
On 08/10/2017 at 7:04 PM, Scott Malbranque said:

Geralds Game was really good. It was wired, mental and creepy. Essentially all the things Mother wanted to be, but wasn't. 

Thoroughly enjoyed it and further testamemt to the fact that Gugino should be a much bigger star than she is. 

Yes, agree with this, thought it was an excellent film. Really pleased that Mike Flanagan has made such a consistent film because his films to date have shown promise without bringing it all together. Gugino and Bruce Greenwood are superb actors and both at their very best here.

I also liked the ending although most seem to have taken issue with it.

I've been diametrically opposed to the whole idea of a Blade Runner sequel after the abortion that was Prometheus but the reviews are so good that I'm going to have to swallow my pride and go and watch it (non-Replicant Deckard et al).

Hang on, I realise I've missed another Ridley Scott Alien film - Covenant.  Am I right in assuming it's shit?  Bear in mind I have an unusual relationship with the franchise so I'd rather not watch if it's shit.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Not quite as shit as Prometheus but still really shit.

I enjoyed Prometheus more than Covenant. But then I enjoyed Prometheus as a stand alone film full stop, which puts me in the minority to start with. 

17 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Not quite as shit as the sound design for alien isolation, but still really shit.

Shots fired!

So shit I won a BAFTA for it!  :ninja:

But yeah, I'll probably skip it if it's no good.  Ridley Scott just should have retired a decade ago and left his legacy intact.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Loki said:

Shots fired!

So shit I won a BAFTA for it!  :ninja:

But yeah, I'll probably skip it if it's no good.  Ridley Scott just should have retired a decade ago and left his legacy intact.

Ridley Scottis the Bobby DeNiro of directors