DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Big Dave is doing well, and I think he is a good actor actually, however, he has made some terrible career choices other then his blockbuster roles. I mean The Rock never did a straight to DVD effort, and That is the majority or Dave's output

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

But that was him just starting out and he wasn't the household name that The Rock was even before he went full-time in films.

He is still making them now though. He has one coming out, I think next year now with Pierce Brosnan about a football stadium being blown up (I only know this as it was my beloved Upton Park they filmed it at)

Nah action films and film distribution are a completely different kettle of fish these days. The Rock had very little competition for the traditional actiion role and even then he made his name in Hollywood doing shitty Disney films. Even The Arnold has struggled in this climate. The Rock wishes he had a franchise as big as Guardians under his belt as earĺy in to his career as Daves. Did he even make a good actioner up until the Fast franchise?

• Paid Members

You can't say they're terrible career choices when you haven't even seen them yet. He's an action star. He has a limited niche. If he wants to keep working then he's not always going to get blockbusters. 

2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

If you couldn't even get through the original, why on earth would you contemplate seeing the sequel? You're a nutter when it comes to films.

I tried to watch the original Mad Max films. Couldn't get into them either. I watched and really liked Fury Road though.

Some sequels explain the back story during the film itself (see TRON: Legacy) or is a completely separate story rather than a follow on, so watching the original isn't really necessary. Just because I didn't like the original, doesn't mean I won't like the sequel. But if watching the original is fundamental to understanding the sequel, then it won't be worth bothering with. You're not going to enjoy something you don't understand after all.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

You can't say they're terrible career choices when you haven't even seen them yet. He's an action star. He has a limited niche. If he wants to keep working then he's not always going to get blockbusters. 

I am not saying the films THEMSELVES are terrible. But if you look at people like Nic Cage now he has gone from Hollywood A-List to Straight to Video king (also see Travolta and De Niro). What I am saying though is if you keep putting your self in low budget action films rather then focusing on doing fewer but bigger projects, you will eventually stop seeing those big film role offers. While he is contracted for Drax for a few more films, I dont know what other big roles he has. But I hope BR gets him some more exposure and other opportunities as he is better then the roles he is getting.

• Paid Members

Cage takes those films because of financial issues, the comparison is irrelevant. Bautista isn't always going to get Spectre and cape film roles. The odd DTV film isn't going to hurt his exposure. 

• Paid Members

Let's not forget that amongst all the blockbusters, Rocky was also making nonsense like Faster and Snitch.

Edit: Empire State was also direct-to-DVD and that was only 2013.

Edited by Au

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Is Ballers budget garbage, or is it actually a bit show work a good time slot etc? Is he still making it? I watched a few episodes on a flight once and it was rubbish, but watchable.

I have no idea what that sentance even means, but I will try to decipher it.

Ballers is on HBO, they spend a fare bit of money on it, it keeps getting renewed and they will only keep renewing if it is popular so yes it is doing all right. Never seen it, but heard it described as Sport Star Entourage.

oh and it follows GoT's so has a great time slot. Sunday nights is THE night to have a show on HBO, Boardwalk, SitC, Deadwood, Oz, Curb, 6 feet under are just a few of the shows that had that slot/night

Edited by Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Au said:

Let's not forget that amongst all the blockbusters, Rocky was also making nonsense like Faster and Snitch.

Edit: Empire State was also direct-to-DVD and that was only 2013.

Never even heard of Empire State, although looking at time frames it was a Lionsgate release when they were acquiring small film companies to launch a low budget division, so that may have been why.

He has made a fair bit of nonsense, the comparision is all of those films, like Faster and Snitch were designed to be Cinema releases, Big Dave's are always intended to go straight to DVD/VOD that is the difference here

Edited by Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Nick Soapdish said:

Big Dave's are always intended to go straight to DVD/VOD that is the difference here

This is patently untrue and in many cases unprovable.

• Paid Members
Just now, Devon Malcolm said:

This is patently untrue and in many cases unprovable.

How so? The production companies and budgets involved of course!

That's like saying you are shocked that  film made by The Asylum is going straight to Syfy channel!

Edited by Nick Soapdish