DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Given the director is far superior to modern day Scott and all the positive feedback the film is getting that's a strange one from Baz there. Also if it ruins the memories of the first one just go back amd watch that afterwards.

• Paid Members

I just don't understand this mindset people have with sequels. I mean, fine, if you don't like it then you don't like it. I'm not singling bAz out at all on this point because this is something you see and hear all the time. Just this morning I was having a discussion with someone when I said I wanted a sequel or prequel to It Follows and they were talking about how an exploration of the mythology or a follow-on would "ruin" the original. How does that work? Do people suddenly think, "Oh, Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare's shit. A Nightmare On Elm Street is bollocks now!"

The same could be said for remakes. The bitching and moaning about the recent Robocop and Total Recall remakes was unbearable - but how many people went back and enjoyed the originals or even watched them for the first time as a result of those being made and released? Did they ruin the originals too? No. If anything they strengthened them.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I just don't understand this mindset people have with sequels. I mean, fine, if you don't like it then you don't like it. I'm not singling bAz out at all on this point because this is something you see and hear all the time. Just this morning I was having a discussion with someone when I said I wanted a sequel or prequel to It Follows and they were talking about how an exploration of the mythology or a follow-on would "ruin" the original. How does that work? Do people suddenly think, "Oh, Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare's shit. A Nightmare On Elm Street is bollocks now!"

The same could be said for remakes. The bitching and moaning about the recent Robocop and Total Recall remakes was unbearable - but how many people went back and enjoyed the originals or even watched them for the first time as a result of those being made and released? Did they ruin the originals too? No. If anything they strengthened them.

The world has gone upside down because I 100% agree with Devon here. Drives me nuts this does.

Confession - I actually thought new Ghostbusters was pretty good. But all the morons saying it was ruining the originals still had the originals to watch. People are just idiots.

I recently watched Blade Runner for the first time. I was a bit underwhelmed due to all the hype. Visually stunning but story I thought was a little underwhelming. That said I am really excited to see 2049 and will go see it on the largest screen open at my Cineworld (as half of it is being refurbed at the moment, and in 3D. I am going to pay the extra

• Paid Members

It’s way more subdued than what’s deemed “Zimmerrific” but there’s plenty of nods to Vangelis’ score throughout. It’s nothing outstanding or jaw dropping - I found, anyway - and there’s nothing that will linger long like some of his work on Inception and Interstellar, but it did exactly what it needed to do and it did it very well.

Would really like to hear Jóhann Jóhannsson’s rejected score as I absolutely adored his work on Sicario.

• Awards Moderator

I watched Gerald's Game on Netflix yesterday. It sounds cute doesn't it? It really isn't. 

A kinky sex game goes wrong and a woman is trapped in an isolated place with just her slowly-loosening grasp on reality. 

It's a Stephen King adaptation. It's a bit creepy, it has a good central performances, and possibly the most sickening scene I've ever seen on camera. If I could work out spoilers on this board I'd discuss it. 

Like many films I wish it would end a handful of scenes earlier than it did, but it's well done. 

Anyone else seen it? 

• Paid Members

Going to watch it sometime this month as part of my October horrorfest, looking forward to it. Netflix have a couple of other horrors being released this month too - 1922, which sounds really interesting, and The Babysitter, which sounds dreadful and is directed by McG, so it definitely will be worse.

• Paid Members
On 10/5/2017 at 8:54 PM, Merzbow said:

According to the woman sitting in front of me 2049 was a load of shit, there were only a few people at my showing but they were constantly up and down missing the biggest plot points just to have a shit or buy a drink.

I've already told myself that I have to watch it again, this time in IMAX.

I understand her view point. it is not a typical blockbuster

It is visually, one of the best films I have ever seen. It looks phenomenal. But It just feels like it goes on and on. Could have easily shaved 20 minutes off that (and about $30 million) and it would have been no worse for it. It is going to be a massive bomb unfortunatly. Tracking at a $35-40 million opening in the US and at a cost of a reputed $200 million, I dont think we will see another.

I enjoyed it, but I didnt love it from a story point of view. That said, go and see it on the biggest screen you can. My IMAX was being refurbished and I am grateful to have still seen it on a big screen.

I wouldn't bother with 3D at the cinema though. Film is pretty dark, but it will excel on my home set up 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

To get hyper local for a minute, is that the Bas Vegas Imax? How long is it out of action for? 

It is and no idea. Cineworld have been refurbing all screens for about the last 6 weeks or so but they said should be finished by November (just in time for Star Wars :-D) but I think they were showing Kingsman in Imax when it first opened so hopefully the IMAX wont be down too long. Though I am hoping if it is being redone they might install Laser in there like they did in Leicester Square