DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Okja

Best Netflix film I've seen.  However, I've only seen two and one of them was Death Note. Tilda Swinton is as good as ever and it tugged on the heartstrings.  Gets a Kool Keith Recommends.

God yeah, bloody loved it. There were a couple of points where I felt it was a little too heavy-handed and moralising, but mostly it was superb - real tear-jerker, and genuinely hilarious in places. I like that they made the animal rights activists quite pathetic and laughable in their own way, which helped reduce the aforementioned sense of heavy-handed moralising, and added a lot of levity. Okja herself as a piece of animation was astonishingly good, too.

I would have liked it to have made better use of Jake Gylenhall's character, as I found him hilarious and quite interesting - they seemed to touch on all sorts of stuff with him and not quite explore it. Though I'm not really sure how much more he could have been utilised, so maybe it's better that I'm left wanting more and not having the performance outstay its welcome.

On 18 September 2017 at 12:59 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

If it's Aronofksy, it's always the latter.

Thought it was dreadful. Rips out bits from Rosemary's Baby and Repulsion, squashes them all together and comes up with his usual boring trifle of pretty visuals and a shiftless plot. Saw the ending coming a mile off too. Jennifer Lawrence and Michelle Pfeiffer were superb though but Lawrence is never in anything good.

It was either a horrible film fetishising violence against women, or a work of unparalleled artistic genius.  I'm genuinely undecided which.  Visually arresting, GREAT sound, incredible editing.  Big performances, total commitment from the entire cast.  But I couldn't shake the feeling that it was a crappy parable about Christianity or some shit.  I suspect there were just way too many themes competing, making the "point" of the film incomprehensible.

Loved Pi, The Wrestler, Black Swan, hated Requiem and The Fountain, and on the fence with this one.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Loki said:

It was either a horrible film fetishising violence against women, or a work of unparalleled artistic genius.

Aronofsky thinks it's the latter but it's actually the former.

Watched the new Schwarzenegger film Killing Gunther last night. I'd say it's average at best but Arnie is great, he's obviously having the time of his life and he brings a lot of fun to every scene he's in. My only gripe is...

Despite being all over the trailer and the biggest image on the poster, Arnie is only in it for the last 10 minutes or so. I'd have liked to have seen him crop up much earlier. When he does turn up though, he's the best thing in the film by miles. The country song over the end credits had me in stitches. 

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

Watched the new Schwarzenegger film Killing Gunther last night. I'd say it's average at best but Arnie is great, he's obviously having the time of his life and he brings a lot of fun to every scene he's in. My only gripe is...

Reveal hidden contents

Despite being all over the trailer and the biggest image on the poster, Arnie is only in it for the last 10 minutes or so. I'd have liked to have seen him crop up much earlier. When he does turn up though, he's the best thing in the film by miles. The country song over the end credits had me in stitches. 

I watched this too and agree. Worth sticking with for Arnie though, he's as good as ever.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Wouldn't mind a sequel to The Hitman's Bodyguard. Really enjoyed it, got better as it went on.

Knew I could count on you, D-Mal.

Lots on here and elsewhere pretty much thought me an idiot for holding it high regard. I loved it and have watched it thrice.

I keep saying it, and it’s just a hypothetical, nonsensical point, but could you imagine how absolutely amazing it could have been had Shane Black overseen it?

Don't judge me. After seeing the October 3rd meme thing again today and for the past few years and having never seen it, im going to watch Mean Girls tonight.

I've read quite a few articles and heard some decent pods on it, and hear it's better than most of the genre fare of it's ilk.

Anyone confirm it's decent before I watch it so I'm not wasting 2 hours of my life. 

Its that or the Syrian doc that Baz mentioned in the other thread, but I don't know if that's wise in my current mental state. 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Don't judge me. After seeing the October 3rd meme thing again today and for the past few years and having never seen it, im going to watch Mean Girls tonight.

I've read quite a few articles and heard some decent pods on it, and hear it's better than most of the genre fare of it's ilk.

Anyone confirm it's decent before I watch it so I'm not wasting 2 hours of my life. 

Its that or the Syrian doc that Baz mentioned in the other thread, but I don't know if that's wise in my current mental state. 

Not watched it in ages, but its written by Tin Fey and I remember thinking it was a decent flick in that high school genre. But I also like Clueless and Bring It On so...

• Paid Members

@Scott Malbranque- It's clearly influenced by Black, isn't it? The car / speedboat chase was brilliant.

@SuperBacon - Mean Girls is great. I prefer Clueless and Easy A though. But they're all superb.

And 10 Things I Hate About You.