DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I watched Ana Lily Amirpour's two films (A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night and The Bad Batch) over the last couple of days.

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night is a good low budget vampire drama, that just about manages to stay on the right side of being pretentious and boring. It is a mix of different genres and ideas, and takes influences from many films and directors, but it lacks focus, and the story and characters just did not really impress me. Maybe I expected more from it given the overwhelming praise it has been given, but there was just nothing great to be found in the film. Excuse the pun, but there was nothing to sink your teeth into; it just felt like an empty film with no reason to care about any of the characters or what they were doing.

The Bad Batch is a pretty good romantic-comedy-horror-thriller film with a good cast (including Jason Momoa, Keanu Reeves, Jim Carrey and Giovanni Ribisi), but again the director fails to delve into and develop the world she has created. She has a good ear for music and eye for visuals, so the film does sound and look pretty good, but it is too long at nearly 2-hours, the characters are underdeveloped (and so again there is very little reason to care about any of them) and there is very little story.

14 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

LOL I'll pretend you said 18

Ha! Never gets old. 

Watched the remake of the mummy when I was working nights the other day. As much as I love Tom cruise I just couldn't like this film, nothing seemed to really happen and I ended up being bored by it. The bird from Peaky Blinders showing up was a surprise as I didn't know she was in it, that's my main take away. 

• Paid Members

I watched Wind River at the weekend and it's a treat. Going in I had pretty high expectations, seeing as it is written/directed by the fella that scribbled out Sicario and Hell or High Water - plus Nick Cave & Warren Ellis did the soundtrack. It's always nice when something lives up to your expectations.

The backdrop of Wyoming is just absolutely beautiful. As is the brief glimpse of Elizabeth Olsen's arse.

I thought the way we found out the important info a little weak, but the action that follows makes up for it.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Finally watched Deadpool last night. Loved the Easter Eggs, in-jokes etc but some of them went over the other half's head, so she didn't quite enjoy it as much as I did. Very enjoyable to me, though. They did a good job of translating Deadpool from the comic to the screen. Josh Brolin looks pretty bloody good as Cable for the sequel.

• Paid Members

Have you seen I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore? I reckon that's their best one so far, absolutely superb. It's like a buddy film except with Melanie Lynskey as a bipolar nurse and Elijah Wood as a pretend ninja.