DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I genuinely liked Baby Driver. I can see how it would turn some people off but I've seen it a few times now and it hasn't failed to put a smile on my face yet. The only thing that has wound me up since I first saw it is how overdone the "doing everything to the beat of the music" gets by the end. I know it's a bit of an Edgar Wright trademark but it was getting overly obvious towards the end during the gunfight that it was starting to become distracting. That's my only minor gripe though. I think the cast is great, there's some genuinely funny moments, the car chase sequences are brilliant and the soundtrack (particularly the Hocus Pocus scene) is top notch.

Yeah I loved Baby Driver and having only ever seeing Ansel Elgort in Divergent and not really liking him, I didnt hold up much hope but I thought he was so good in it. The movie itself as said above will leave you with a smile on your face and a movie you definitely feel like watching more than once. And the Soundtrack is phenomenal. 

• Paid Members

I hated it but I suspected it would be shit when I first saw it. Edgar Wright doesn't know how to write female characters either. It started quite promisingly but I think I only laughed once. Kevin Spacey seemed completely out of place too and Elgort was just as plank-like as Dane De Haan. The next generation of male action film leads looks terrible if it's in their hands and Dylan O'Brien.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

I enjoyed it.  You don’t see many heist films with exciting car chases any more.  Mind you, never seen a Fast and Furious film so that might scratch my itch.

Maybe start at 4. 5 (when the Rock joins) is where it gets great though and stops being just cars racing. You can avoid the first 2, 3 is ok.

I enjoyed Baby Driver for what it was, dumb but stylish fun. Devon's right about female characters but I let Edgar off as he blatently based Debora on my girl Shelly from Twin Peaks, she looked and acted just like her. At least he has taste in who he rips off.

Just watched Repo Man for the first time and it's now one of my fav films of the 80's, just how fucking cool is it? Emilio Estevez manages to not be such an annoying prick and Harry Dean Stanton is as godly as ever.

What other Alex Cox films should I check out?

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Nick Soapdish said:

Maybe start at 4. 5 (when the Rock joins) is where it gets great though and stops being just cars racing. You can avoid the first 2, 3 is ok.

Nah.

The series clearly starts being great at 5 - 5, 6, 7 is one of the greatest action trilogies of all time. But I think as a series it hangs together well enough that you will appreciate the later ones more if you watch them all and understand the whole notion of family being built up as it goes on. Plus 2 Fast 2 Furious is seriously under-appreciated and bags of fun. Thunderplex would probably hate them all though, his film taste's always been as questionable as yours.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Nah.

The series clearly starts being great at 5 - 5, 6, 7 is one of the greatest action trilogies of all time. But I think as a series it hangs together well enough that you will appreciate the later ones more if you watch them all and understand the whole notion of family being built up as it goes on. Plus 2 Fast 2 Furious is seriously under-appreciated and bags of fun. Thunderplex would probably hate them all though, his film taste's always been as questionable as yours.

I agree 5 is where it gets great, but 4 was like a re-boot.

And I am sorry, but if loving Bring It On is questionable, I don't want to be right

2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Just watched Repo Man for the first time and it's now one of my fav films of the 80's, just how fucking cool is it? Emilio Estevez manages to not be such an annoying prick and Harry Dean Stanton is as godly as ever.

And the soundtrack is brilliant too!  Can't really think of any other Cox films to recommend.  Sid and Nancy is watchable but nothing else comes to mind.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Nah.

I use you as a barometer for the movies to avoid like the plague Gladders.  The more you rate, I’m sure I’ll hate.  I’ll probrably stick to watching Cannonball Run for the thousandth time.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

I use you as a barometer for the movies to avoid like the plague Gladders.  The more you rate, I’m sure I’ll hate.  I’ll probrably stick to watching Cannonball Run for the thousandth time.

Smokey and the Bandit >>>>> Cannonball Run

• Paid Members

Almost, but not quite.

A couple of very dull notes about Smokey and the Bandit.  It ran as a double bill with a John Cleese short called Romance with a Double Bass, involving him running round the woods with Connie Booth stark bollock naked.  Saw them at the Tatton in Gatley, Mother was most embarrassed.

When we got home, laid out on the carpet was a Race and Chase set, given a a present for something I can’t remember, so I played Smokie and the Bandit all evening.  Quite a happy day really.

• Paid Members

Saw American Made today, which was really good. Domhnall Gleeson is in fucking everything these days though. He's in at least 3 films that are out at the cinema right now - this, mother! and Goodbye Christopher Robin.

• Paid Members

American Assassin was hilarious, I had no idea what to expect going in except Michael Keaton was in it and I've always loved him. It was a proper action movie for blokes, it had no heart or character development of any kind and was 95% about guys shooting Arabs. Having said that, as a violent film with a simple premise full of clichés it delivered. It's incredibly violent and is rated 18 for violence which reminds me of the good old days. Obviously Keaton was great too, as a complete psycho, top covert assassin trainer.