DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Not really - I like Butch Cassidy but it's been hugely overrated over the years. I think all right-minded people realise these days that The Sting is the superior film in almost every way.

Fire and Ice

Saw this one late last night. After about 10 minutes of non stop close ups of the princess's arse I had to nip over to xvideos to cure my puff penis. Seriously, a large portion of this film is spent appreciating the shape of the royal posterior from just about every angle possible. The animation looked very smooth, to the point that it became pretty obvious that they'd used rotoscoping techniques (not that there's anything wrong with that, the fluidity of the body movements looked really natural and realistic). Good characters, good backgrounds, decent good vs evil storyline: good film.

fire_ice16_zpsadf38222.jpg

Typical shot of the main character.

Thanks for the heads up on that one sir, I fully enjoyed it. Cynthia Leake, who played the princess in the live action filming should get an award for the performance of her rear. It was easily the star of the film.

Those three were brilliant too, thanks for sharing the links. How do you come across stuff like this? I'm only just beginning to scratch the surface of film, having only started to develop an interest in the past couple of years, but I don't think I'd ever find out about things like this if it wasn't for you gentlemen pointing me in such directions. Really interesting stuff.

I absolutely adore this movie. The imagery is just insane.

Pretty mind blowing isn't it? Do you know of anything else similar to that? I want more. It was by far the best thing I saw yesterday.

• Paid Members
Those three were brilliant too, thanks for sharing the links. How do you come across stuff like this? I'm only just beginning to scratch the surface of film, having only started to develop an interest in the past couple of years, but I don't think I'd ever find out about things like this if it wasn't for you gentlemen pointing me in such directions. Really interesting stuff.

Channel 4 used to show lots of strange animation shorts late at night in the 90s, Jan Svankmajer was probably the most high profile (in fact they might have had another season of his stuff a couple of years ago? Not sure about that though). I did film studies at uni too, and we did a unit on experimental/avant garde animation. Of course, that's come in handy in my job as team leader at a Co-op.

• Paid Members

Channel 4 used to show lots of strange animation shorts late at night in the 90s, Jan Svankmajer was probably the most high profile (in fact they might have had another season of his stuff a couple of years ago? Not sure about that though). I did film studies at uni too, and we did a unit on experimental/avant garde animation. Of course, that's come in handy in my job as team leader at a Co-op.

:laugh: This rings a bell. Many a time the work of Osamu Tezuka sprung to mind when I was shoving trolleys round the Redhill Sainsbury's car park.

Ended up going for Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964). Fantastic offering from Ishirō Honda's iconic Godzilla universe, in which an unusual meteorite strikes Japan, awakening legendary monsters Godzilla and Rodan. Eventually a 3rd classic monster turns up in Mothra, and the 3 famous giants have to put their differences to one side to fight the invading 3 headed beast King Ghidorah.

ghidorah.jpg

Three headed monster come from space to fuck shit up

The movie assumes familiarity with all of the existing monsters apart from Ghidorah, so it was lucky that I'd seen all of the necessary earlier films in the franchise. This one was one of the best

• Paid Members

Yeah, I watched three yesterday when I took the day off - The Black Windmill (1970s spy thriller with Michael Caine - really good), Detroit 9000 (1970s blaxploitation film - not bad) and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (the original and extended version - massively flawed and overrated). I do like a good film-cramming day.

Richie, I assume you've seen Un Chien Andalou? The one that Dali was involved with? That's old and surreal, you should like that. Also, check out some old Russian animation, the stuff around and after the revolution is good. I saw some at an exhibition once and it started from there.

There will be a horror film festival coming up in Leeds or Sheffield (can't remember which) later in the year that will be showing plenty of obscure stuff. You'd love it.