DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I'm not sure whether I actually want to watch Kill List or not, I've heard such differing opinions, and films with endings that are contentious often really annoy me (like Eden Lake). I tend to trust Gladders on such things.

I thought it was absolutely shit. I saw the ending coming from the start (not the fact that it turned into The Wicker Man, but who he fights) and if a film can't fool me then it's obviously not very good.

You did very well to spot that from the start! I had no idea where they were going with the story right up until the last act and I was pretty surprised (not least disappointed) where it did go in the end. Despite all that I think there was much to admire about the film.

• Moderators
I'm not sure whether I actually want to watch Kill List or not, I've heard such differing opinions, and films with endings that are contentious often really annoy me (like Eden Lake). I tend to trust Gladders on such things.

I know what you mean. Films that generally have people divided on whether they are any good or not are interesting to me.

But when it's just the ending that's contentious.... I hate a film that I was enjoying most of the way through until something stupid happens that ruins it and retroactively taints the whole thing much more than a film that is utterly worthless from start to finish.

• Moderators
I thought it was absolutely shit. I saw the ending coming from the start (not the fact that it turned into The Wicker Man, but who he fights)

Did you spot that from the start? I'm not calling you a liar, but I remember very clearly some fuckwit on here being the first person to see Kill List, who compared the ending/twist to being just like the really-well-discussed-on-here ending of another film, which was about as bad a spoiler as is possible. UKFF rage was thrown in his direction, and for me, that knowledge clouded the film going into it, so possibly you read that too and are misremembering being spoiled with figuring it out yourself? Perhaps not though, and I'm not having a pop, just that I always feel like Kill List gets a bum deal on here, and I thought it was pretty great, but always wonder how I'd have felt about it had said fuckwit not ruined it on here.

I liked where it went, and the first 2/3 with all the hitman stuff has a really grubby "three showers when this is done, please" feeling that I'd not really felt since Se7en.

• Paid Members

I'm with Bifkin on Kill List, I liked the main characters & really liked the realistic approach to criminal life. It was the ending that annoyed me as it felt tacked on & badly thought out. Will definitely check out Sightseers though as I thought Kill List had potential.

Watched 'The Raid' last night. Absolutely batshit mental with the best action scenes I've seen in years. The plot is secondary but if you like balls out action/fighting films this should be top of your list.

• Paid Members
I thought it was absolutely shit. I saw the ending coming from the start (not the fact that it turned into The Wicker Man, but who he fights)

Did you spot that from the start? I'm not calling you a liar, but I remember very clearly some fuckwit on here being the first person to see Kill List, who compared the ending/twist to being just like the really-well-discussed-on-here ending of another film, which was about as bad a spoiler as is possible. UKFF rage was thrown in his direction, and for me, that knowledge clouded the film going into it, so possibly you read that too and are misremembering being spoiled with figuring it out yourself?

Pretty sure that wasn't me. I had no idea what it was about before I went into it and I only saw it after it came out on DVD.

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

It was actually probably nothing more than an educated guess on my part, but I was convinced from the start that he was going to end up killing her or being killed by her at the end.

As for the rest of it, I just thought it failed as kitchen sink drama and vigilante thriller as well. The side-plot about....

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

the paedo as well made no sense at all and did not fit whatsoever.

I thought it was one of the worst films I saw last year.

Yeah, the hand to hand fighting in The Raid is simply amazing. Exceptional use of special effects to add to it all too. It's a proper "brain off" film and rightly so. I even watched a version with pretty crappy voice-over work and it made no difference to my enjoyment. That and Dredd are probably the best straight-up action films I've seen in a few years.

• Moderators

I'm not accusing you of spoiling it, just of possibly reading that first on here. There was a mild shitstorm at the time. Can't remember who it was. Some twat or other.

The director's previous film, Down Terrace, is brilliant though. The Godfather filtered through Curb your Enthusiasm.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members
I'm not accusing you of spoiling it, just of possibly reading that first on here. There was a mild shitstorm at the time. Can't remember who it was. Some twat or other.

That's fair enough, but it definitely wasn't me. I don't remember any discussion about it on here before me, Mr. Seven and Dead Mike discussed it, to be honest.

The director's previous film, Down Terrace, is brilliant though. The Godfather filtered through Curb your Enthusiasm.

I think that's what's happened to me. I read that, and it basically fucked the film for me, and even though I've now forgotten the spoiler, the fact that I know there's something contentious about the ending...

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

Kill List is a terrible film. It has so many things going for it and could have been amazing but I've not hated a film that much in years (Since Brick). People were treating it like a masterpiece on twitter when it was shown on Film4 and calling it this generations Don't Look Now. The first third is fantastic. The ending drags it down to dog shit.

I think it was discussed in best and worst of 2012 (even though it came out the year before) and in the previous version of this thread.

As far as The Godfather re-edit goes. It's not the way to watch them. Part 2 is perfect as it is but it's a curious alternative and changes the pace and characters

• Paid Members
Fucking hell, Stolen looks bloody awful doesn't it? Good idea for a film though. I think Neeson will be good in that role.

Steve Big Jobs will naturally bum this film.

So I watched this at the cinema tonight, for anyone who doesn't know it's the new Nicolas Cage film and he plays a guy who's trying to rescue his kidnapped daughter.

There we go- instant Taken comparisons. The trailer made it look exactly like Taken but that was a bad move, from the moment it begins with an extended bank heist scene you realise it's nothing like Taken and instead of being a straight to video looking Taken bootleg like everyone assumes it is, it's actually a pretty cool thriller in it's own right.

They would've been better off focusing the marketing on the fact that it's reuniting Nicolas Cage with the director Simon West who made Con Air which is one of Nic's best action movies. There, doesn't it sound better already?

The supporting cast is good too with Danny Huston as the second main character and MC Gainey and Malin Akerman turning up too. Josh Lucas probably wasn't the best choice for his role and he seemed to be playing Miokey Rourke at points but he was fine and you don't want anyone upstaging Cage in one of his movies anyway.

I read after seeing it that Jason Statham and Clive Owen had both been approached for the lead role before cage but they certainly would've played it totally straight without the air of weirdness and class Nic Cage always brings with him.

It wasn't the least predictable film and ticks all the boxes of a thriller about a guy chasing his goal while people are after him but it's better than I expected and I probably expected to like it more than anyone else would.

Also the score was great, really added to it in a noticeable way and made it feel a bit like a cool 70s thriller in points.

• Paid Members
It wasn't the least predictable film and ticks all the boxes of a thriller about a guy chasing his goal while people are after him but it's better than I expected and I probably expected to like it more than anyone else would.

I'll give it a miss then.