DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

The Trust.
Stevie Bellers/Helmet will love this one! It’s got Nic Cage being Nic Cage up to 12.
I really enjoyed it. A few eye rolling moments during the third act aside, it’s probably the among the top, most enjoyable STDVD flicks I’ve seen since Death Race 2.

I was actually wondering if those chaps who directed it had Cage sticking to the  script, or just said “Go...” and let him off his leash, as a lot of dialogue and mannerisms seems to improvised especially as the movie gets darker and a bit more twisted.
Also, I’m not Elijah Woods biggest fan, mainly because of those arse numbing fucking Hobbit movies, but he was actually really enjoyable and matched the insane, borderline ADHD pace of Cage step by step.

But yeah, well worth a watch just to see Cage do everything you expect of him.

I recently saw my first two Fellini films.

Started with La Strada. Not as weird as I initially thought all Fellini films would be, but great stuff. Gelsomina seemed like an early prototype to the maniac pixie dream girl trope that we've seen a lot in modern film. I love the dynamic between the two main characters. Very dark stuff.

I then saw Amarcord. Holy shit, what a movie. I didn't grow up in either Italy or the 1930's, but Fellini makes his childhood your own.  There is no driving plot found here, this is presented in a form of vignettes. It's non-linear style of storytelling may be the reason why he perfectly captures a childhood within the duration of a movie. I have never seen that has hit me so hard in the nostalgia.

I also had my yearly rewatch of 12 Angry Men. Still holds up, still my favorite film. I should probably check out the 1997 remake at some point, but I imagine I would just find my self wishing I was watching the Henry Fonda classic instead.

• Members

Love a bit of Fellini, so glad to hear. Studying him in Film Studies sullied it a bit, but 15 years on I can enjoy the films again. Have you seen any Truffaut? The 400 Blows is an excellent film, if you're going to explore the whole New Wave era.

Love a bit of Fellini, so glad to hear. Studying him in Film Studies sullied it a bit, but 15 years on I can enjoy the films again. Have you seen any Truffaut? The 400 Blows is an excellent film, if you're going to explore the whole New Wave era.

Hah, I was just thinking how I would of probably hated these films if I was forced to analyze and dissect them in Film Studies. What Fellini film should I watch now? I've been told to avoid La Dolce Vita until I'm used to Fellini's style.

The 400 Blows is a film I've been meaning to watch for years now, but I've just never gotten around to it. I will check out Truffant and his work when this Fellini phase is over.

Yup multiple times,Truffaut's Antoine Daniel obessessed. La nuit americane is also good. Got Jules et Jim sat on the Virgin box. Shockingly never seen it despite loving French film :/

• Paid Members

Weird Science – I have watched this movie countless times over the years, and it's still so, so...so good.

Anthony Michael Halls’ comic timing was fucking impeccable!!! I don’t know what happened him, but he was fucking flawless in this. Along with the ever majestic Bill Paxton as Chet!

Ilan Mitchell Smith was terrible though and deserved to have somebody strain their spuds all over his fuckin face.

• Paid Members

Caught up with two films I wanted to watch from last year.

The Gift is a small low budget drama/thriller directed and starring Joel Egerton and Michael Bluth from Arrested Development (yeah I know his name, but JB is the same in almost everything no?). I really liked it, I thought it was a good variation of this type of film.

Whiplash well what can you say. Young John Cussack (AKA Miles Teller) was brilliant but J.K. Simmons was phenomenal. I remember first watching him in Oz and thinking he was something else. But I found his performance mesmerizing. 

Recommend both (Whiplash is on Sky/Now TV, The Gift is on Netflix)

Weird Science – I have watched this movie countless times over the years, and it's still so, so...so good.

Anthony Michael Halls’ comic timing was fucking impeccable!!! I don’t know what happened him, but he was fucking flawless in this. Along with the ever majestic Bill Paxton as Chet!

Ilan Mitchell Smith was terrible though and deserved to have somebody strain their spuds all over his fuckin face.

I preferred the TV series.

Or it might have just been Vanessa Angel

• Paid Members

He was the youngest ever cast member on Saturday Night Live, got given the boot after a year, turned down a load of high profile roles and hit the bottle.It's a shame he seems to lean more towards serious roles because he was a naturally awesome comedian (see also Tom Hanks, who I'm still gutted doesn't do more comedy)

Watched a couple of films last night through Kodi

Trainwreck - been wanting to watch this for a while and really enjoyed it. Kinda got a bit of a thing for Amy Schumer who was great as the lead, Bill Hader was good as the doctor she falls for and Cena was decent as the dumb jock in the early part of the film as was Lebron James as an exaggerated version of himself

The Stuff - another one I've been wanting to watch for the longest time. Its kinda like The Blob in that one character can see the danger but noone believes them until it becomes too late. Really fun if you are a fan of that B movie style

I picked up The Force Awakens on Blu-ray yesterday. It's the first time I have re watched the film since I saw it back in December and I still thoroughly enjoyed it. The documentary about the making of it is extremely good as well. Showing how they puppeteered BB8 is fascinating, just having all the practical effects makes the film seem much more realistic which is what was missing from the prequels.

Yeah I picked it up yesterday too, Darkside packaging of course, and gave it a rewatch this afternoon. Not got round to checking out the bonus stuff yet. Disappointed there's no Directors Commentary with it though, figured could have been a decent listen assuming JJ didn't just go for two and a bit hours of hero worship.

Still can't get over how good this shot is though (excusing the glare from my conservatory)

7FD33D9A-CF9C-40E5-840F-432B6F8F7B12_zps

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

I recently saw my first two Fellini films.

Started with La Strada. Not as weird as I initially thought all Fellini films would be, but great stuff. Gelsomina seemed like an early prototype to the maniac pixie dream girl trope that we've seen a lot in modern film. I love the dynamic between the two main characters. Very dark stuff.

Yeah, I watched this on MUBI.com ages ago. What a film. A must watch. Anthony Quinn is great in it.

Saw a great documentary on Netflix last night. It's called Chuck Norris vs Communism and it's as awesome as it is named. It's about how smuggled American movies helped the people of Romania reject communism. Even beneath the insightful political stuff, it's charming to hear people look back on the movies they loved when they were growing up.

I also popped my Luis Bunel full feature cherry (I've previously seen Un Chein Andalou, which is highly recommended if you fancy getting your brain fucked for 20 minutes). The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie is a good film, but I feel the message that it was trying to convey ultimately went right over my head. Still, the dialogue is great and the dream sequences were fantastic and left you wondering what was real and what was a dream.