DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Pat's down with the kids, yo.

I do enjoy So I Married an Axe Murderer. I put a clip of the dad ripping shit out his 'fat heeeeaded' son the other week, still makes me chuckle like a fat kid who got the last biscuit.

I'm on series two of Eastbound and Down which features some great lines such as "Locked down tight like a little girls tuna." I watched American Hustle on Friday and it's a pretty good film but it's not as good as it's trying so desperately hard to be. Everyone seems to want to over egg their characters. It's great in parts and Cooper pulls off his slightly unhinged cop character mostly to great affect but it just looks a bit silly sometimes when they all have either funny accents or ridiculous hair and are prone to over acting. Typical Oscar bait really where as if it wasn't made primarily as such it could have had a Goodfellas nostalgia/fun vibe.

• Paid Members
The Mike Myers thing is well odd, erm his career has been built on rehashes, I think the 'mole' joke is in at least two or three films

Definitely, he has the mole in Austin Powers, The Guy with the weird eye in Wayne's World 2 and there's a Gwyneth Paltrow comedy about air hostesses which he has a small funny role in where he has a lazy eye with all the same jokes.

• Paid Members
Watched a film last night called "Johnny Suede" from 1991 that had Brad Pitt in it. Nick Cave is in it too. It was miles better than it had any right to be. Recommended.

"Johnny Suede" Wiki

I haven't seen that since it came out when I was 10, I'd forgotten all about it. I might rewatch it as I recall virtually nothing about it except the quiffs.

What do people think of Brad Pitt as an actor? He's never really done it for me except in Burn after reading which I liked him in

• Paid Members

I think he's a tremendous actor although he doesn't pick many projects I'm all that interested in. I think his performance in Se7en is one of the great Hollywood acting performances. I still maintain he's the best thing in that film ahead of Morgan Freeman. Really enjoyed him in Snatch and Inglourious Basterds as well.

• Paid Members

I think he is, if that counts for anything.

Watched Gravity last night. Really enjoyed it although it's clearly not worthy of the ridiculous fuss being made of it. I don't get it - it's just a good solid Hollywood sci-fi thriller, nothing more and nothing less. It's hardly Silent Running or anything.

• Paid Members
Are there any decent British films I should be checking out made from 1980 to 1990? Cheers!

Watch these, bAz:-

The Long Good Friday (PRIORITY)

North Sea Hijack

An American Werewolf In London

Time Bandits

The Missionary

Educating Rita

Local Hero

The Bounty

The Company Of Wolves (PRIORITY)

Brazil

Defence Of The Realm (PRIORITY)

Gothic

Link

Mona Lisa

Hellraiser

Withnail & I (PRIORITY)

A Fish Called Wanda (PRIORITY)

The Lair Of The White Worm

Paperhouse (PRIORITY)

Stormy Monday

The Wolves Of Willoughby Chase

Took the missus to see American Hustle. Had high hopes. Thought it was a bag of shite. Well acted aye, but no enough to it. Not enough drama/comedy/action. It was just a crime caper with little to grab you.

Off to see 12 Years a Slave next, it looks good.

Edited by LEGIT