Daffney/TNA situation could change wrestling

Smith

April Hunter pointed out having to sign a medical waiver was a big reason why she never signed to wrestle with them.

:laugh:

Nothing to do with the fact that she's a bit shit. She's had a few matches for them over the years, nothing of note.

She settled.

- Shannon "Daffney" Spruill has settled her lawsuit against TNA over medical bills for injuries sustained during her time with the company. The lawsuit was settled on Friday morning in a mediation session that took place just before a scheduled hearing. According to sources close to the case, the hearing was for the judge to rule on whether Daffney was an employee or, as TNA claimed, an independent contractor. TNA approached Daffney about a settlement after the hearing was originally scheduled.

The suit had been in relation to the injuries she suffered at Bound for Glory 2009, which racked up over $26,000 in medical fees. Daffney claimed that TNA only paif $600 of the bill and that Terry Taylor told her that the company would pay the remainder, but TNA declined to do so.

Daffney posted the following to Twitter after the settlement:

I'd like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank all the love and support over the past two years. I appreciate so much that you recognize the HUGE injustice that is being done to Professional Wrestlers throughout the industry. I hope my case has opened up a few blind eyes and maybe now we, the wrestlers who put our bodies on the line every time we step in the ring, are one step closer to being provided with medical coverage and all the benefits that go along with being a true employee and not an independent contractor.

Read more at http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/news/276...HiPWBoOYvYpR.99

• Moderators
- Shannon "Daffney" Spruill - maybe now we, the wrestlers who put our bodies on the line every time we step in the ring, are one step closer to being provided with medical coverage and all the benefits that go along with being a true employee and not an independent contractor.

No you aren't

• Moderators

That's exactly it. She was exposed as just posturing. Nothing to do with independent contractor/employee. She just wanted her medical bills pad. If she was open about that I'd respect her far more than just bullshitting about a larger issue.

Hopefully Vince McMahon doesn't hear about this. He'll go mental.

I'm sure Vince will have been aware of this. He's probably had a quick chuckle at the result.

Massive step backwards for those who want to see wrestlers as proper employees with all the appropriate rights that would and should entail. Thanks to Ms Spruill for that. :thumbsup:

In fairness to her, she has spent the last 2 years in and out of court and, because she can't work due to her injuries, probably not making much money.

In her situation, would anyone not have taken a lump sum of cash? Especially when she could have taken it all the way, lost, and have ended up with nothing.

I'd also dispute that she's set the cause back. At least TNA probably know now that not paying medical bills isn't worth the hassle and they, should, in that respect, start treating their wrestlers better. I don't know how much they gave her, but I'm thinking it was a pretty big amount.

Do they really want to risk a situation like this again?

Massive step backwards for those who want to see wrestlers as proper employees with all the appropriate rights that would and should entail.

It's not a step backwards, it's just staying in the same place. And she's probably scared TNA into paying medical bills for any of their wrestlers who get injured on the job, even the shit ones, which is a positive.

• Moderators
In fairness to her, she has spent the last 2 years in and out of court and, because she can't work due to her injuries, probably not making much money.

Do they really want to risk a situation like this again?

She probably would have made more working in Starbucks than TNA anyway, to be honest. I don't know why anyone with a vagina would work there. I'm just annoyed because it's become clear what it was about for her all along. If she was really out to expose TNA and was dead set on winning and getting it sorted, she would have gone all the way to the top. Instead she bullshitted. So no, not "in fairness to her" at all.

And as regards whether they really want to risk a situation like this again, it's TNA. I doubt they give a fuck. They aren't known for sound and fair and intelligent business decisions. While people are stupid enough to work for a National company bankrolled by a TV company and an Energy company for about

In her situation, would anyone not have taken a lump sum of cash? Especially when she could have taken it all the way, lost, and have ended up with nothing.

Sure, but this case had a chance of making a real difference as your opening post highlighted. It didn't.

Massive step backwards for those who want to see wrestlers as proper employees with all the appropriate rights that would and should entail.

It's not a step backwards, it's just staying in the same place. And she's probably scared TNA into paying medical bills for any of their wrestlers who get injured on the job, even the shit ones, which is a positive.

Fair enough on the first bit, I can admit to that: exaggeration on my part. You are right in that things are no worse. I'm not sure they will be any better going forwards either.

On the second bit, I don't know. You would think so but TNA seem almost WCW like in the sense of being a big organisation where no lessons are ever learned and the same mistakes will be repeated again and again. Maybe they have gotten a bit of shock from this and it will lead to them paying for people with injuries in the short term. If TNA is still chugging along five years from now I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens all over again.

A wasted opportunity more than anything else.

Archived