Racist / Homophobic / Offensive Things Your Family Has Said

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
I remember someone on here mentioning "Barry the Downo", and laughing my head off, but for the life of me can't remember who it was. garynysmon?

One of our local radio stations has a DJ called Ian 'Downsy' Downs. I didn't know this and thus didn't mentally insert the comma when I heard a trailer for "the breakfast show with Downsy, Alice and Richard"

The only one thing I can think of was we were watching Coronation Street and the gay barman ( Anthony?) sat down down on a couch and grabbed his boyfriends hand and my dad jumped out of his chair said 'nope' and went and made a cup of tea.

I can't stop playing this over in my head. Your dad says 'nope' with a slightly different intonation every time, but it's still always funny.

We're veering off-topic (sorry) but I remember a similar filter on a board I used to post on. You couldn't talk about the Gobbeldy Gooker, I remember, because it refused 'gook', and there were loads of other problems with banned words; if the last two letters of one word and the first couple of the next word made a banned word, you couldn't post, same for the banned word appearing in the middle of a word somewhere. You had to trawl through your entire post to try and figure out where it was.

Must have been a bit shit if you were from Scunthorpe.

AOL famously refused to let you sign up and give that as your hometown.

My dear old Nan, who's no longer with us, was always coming out with racist comments.

She was once round my folks place when I was a kid, and we had a Nigel Benn boxing match on, to which she commented to my mum, "He's quite good looking for a darkie". Every time I saw Nigel Benn after that, I heard my Nan's comment ringing in my head.

She once had a black teenager deliver some leaflet through her door, and before he left her garden, she saw him looking at a couple of birds (of the feathered variety) before walking off. She later told us, "He's probably never seen birds where he's from", ignoring the fact that (a) he was probably from the UK and (b) I'm pretty certain that birds can be found all over the world.

• Paid Members
She later told us, "He's probably never seen birds where he's from", ignoring the fact that (a) he was probably from the UK and (b) I'm pretty certain that birds can be found all over the world.

Another slice of gold. This thread's fucking great.

• Paid Members

Bit before my time, my great grandmother got a dog to keep her company after her husband passed away. She was forced to rename it Nipper after being heard on the doorstep calling for it by its original more offensive name.

Watching Deal or No Deal (not my fucking choice, if I was on that, I'd just go through the boxes in numerical order just to take all the fun out for the people who watch it). There's a mixed race girl on there, and my mum has already used the words "coloured" and "Negro". It's like the 1970s here.

Not tremendously offensive, more just funny, but when I was a kid the local scandal of the week was that the old bloke that ran the fish and chip shop had been having an affair with a young girl in his employ. My nan proclaimed that she wasn't going there ever again. My mum asked why, assuming that as a proud churchgoer, Nan felt morally outraged at the news. Nan's response: 'Well, you don't know where he's had his hands, the dirty sod'.

• Paid Members
Found out today my oldest sister's been suspended from work for anti-muslim rants on the Internet. THEY WOULDN'T LET US BUILD OUR CHURCHES IN THEIR COUNTRY SO WHY SHOULD THEY BE ALLOWED TO BUILD THEIR MOSQUES HERE? And the like.

What does she do?