Racist / Homophobic / Offensive Things Your Family Has Said

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
Slighly off topic, but what's the score with Gollywogs these days? are they still deemed innapropriate? or is it fine since they were rebranded as simply "Gollies"?

I ask because anyone who's been on a day trip to Skegness will know they are rife in giftshops. That, and on a visit to the cemetary this past Sunday, someone had left a collection of them at a nearby childs grave.

A friend of mine's dad was given a gollywog by his black workmate, with whom he'd always had a kind of tongue-in-cheek-racist-joke kind of friendship. Upon seeing it, his boss demanded he remove it on the grounds that it would be offensive to the guy who gave it to him. Fair enough given the letter-of-the-law approach they logically have to take to these things, but still funny.

Simania's word filter on Real In Memphis where the word "Rangers" is changed to "dirty orange bastards", making the word "strangers" into "stdirty orange bastards".

Yes! I remember this filter. The same one that turns any mention of "Meltzer" or "Dave Meltzer" into "Mrs Angle", "Ogawa" into "ratboy" and, most bizarrely, "no mo" into "kayfabe!"

You forgot the best one - it'd change any mention of "Dana White" into "fucking Dana White", and, brilliantly, would reapply the filter on quoted posts, leading to the first post in a big chain of quotes sometimes becoming "fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking Dana White".

• Paid Members
My mum has on occasion used "half caste" which makes me wince.

I remember something posted once by Freaky Jason where he referred to himself as half-caste once, and some white woman berrated him for it, insisting he say "mixed race" so that he wouldn't offend himself.

I grew up hearing the term half-caste used as if the official, acceptable term.

My Step-Mother recently stated that there's no such thing as homosexuality, they're just doing it for attention.

I had a workmate who insisted that bi-sexuallity was impossible. You were either one or the other, but not both.

Speaking of dogs - and this is one that's come from the elderly work colleagues - apparently it used to be quite common for black labradors to be called Nigger. Said colleagues didn't quite grasp why this would now be considered unthinkable.

A schoolfriend's grandmother (I think, or possibly an older aunt) had a dog called Nigger when she was younger. She used to complain that once upon a time nobody batted an eyelid if you ran around the park shouting "Nigger" at the top of your lungs, whereas now everyone gets uppity about it.

Back when i was about two or three i remember being in my pram and eating a sherbet dip.

sherbet.jpg

And my nan who was next to my mum saying "you know what that is son? its a nigger's dick" even now thinking back i don't know how to react to that.

Another time she went to the butchers and asked for a couple of nigger's balls and the butcher gave her black pudding.

other comments by her include "the reason those africans are so good at running is cause they get chased by lions all day at home" and "no wonder there are so many black boxers, they dont have to worry about getting a black eye" Both cringeworthy comments.

Another thing i have noticed which i dont know if its racism but my great uncle will not eat anything thats not british, not even pizza or pasta. I've never heard him ever say anything bad about anyone from other cultures but he is deeply suspicious of any food that isnt british.

I have seen a more doubious version of this with a farmer i used to see in work he would say "i walked passed an indian resteraunt and i gotta admit it smelled pretty good, But i wouldnt trust those chinese, they all look scruffy and you don't know what they are putting in it"

• Paid Members
Another thing i have noticed which i dont know if its racism but my great uncle will not eat anything thats not british, not even pizza or pasta. I've never heard him ever say anything bad about anyone from other cultures but he is deeply suspicious of any food that isnt british.

My missus' great aunt is exactly the same. I was talking to her after I'd been out for a meal the night before, and she asked me what I had. I think it was gnocci or something equally middle-of-the-road, but she insisted it was "rubbish". She wasn't angry or uppity about it, though, she was laughing about it. I'm not sure it's as toxic or hatred-based as out-and-out racism, but it's almost certainly rooted in the same sense of unfamiliarity. And obviously, it rubs some people up differently - some people find it funny, some people find it frightening, or whatever else.

It's an odd thing. We've grown up in a world with pasta, pizza, curries and stir-fries, but it's easy to forget that some people haven't. And furthermore, it's hard to imagine how we could ever have that experience - is there that much food left in the world that hasn't made it over here now? Is there enough to change our food culture, to the point where we could end up completely alienated like some old folk seem to have been?

There's plenty of food that hasn't made it over. A week in a typical French, Dutch or German family will probably consist of 4-5 things you've never eaten before. Most of it cack, of course, but each to his own.

Edited by King Coconut

You remember things from when you were 2 or 3? Wow. I dont think I have any memory of anything before about 6! Definitely can't remember being in my pram.

I kinda can. Like not lots but thats just something that stayed with me from when i was a kid. I asked my mum about it a few years back and she said it sounds about right.

My missus' great aunt is exactly the same. I was talking to her after I'd been out for a meal the night before, and she asked me what I had. I think it was gnocci or something equally middle-of-the-road, but she insisted it was "rubbish". She wasn't angry or uppity about it, though, she was laughing about it. I'm not sure it's as toxic or hatred-based as out-and-out racism, but it's almost certainly rooted in the same sense of unfamiliarity. And obviously, it rubs some people up differently - some people find it funny, some people find it frightening, or whatever else.

It's an odd thing. We've grown up in a world with pasta, pizza, curries and stir-fries, but it's easy to forget that some people haven't. And furthermore, it's hard to imagine how we could ever have that experience - is there that much food left in the world that hasn't made it over here now? Is there enough to change our food culture, to the point where we could end up completely alienated like some old folk seem to have been?

It is very odd like, and what you have written rings true here, My uncle won't even try the food even when my sister has donner meat or something from the chippy like that he wont go near it.

Another thing i just remembered is my girlfriend telling me her mother (Who is a straight up Mrs bucket from keeping up appearances) once watched my g/f go to eat a piece of fruit without washing it, ran over disgusted and snatched it out her hands and said "you need to wash this. You dunno what kind of wogs have had there hands on it"

Needless to say when she got pulled up on it another occasion she denied it ever happening, Not because it was racist just because it painted her in a negative light.

• Paid Members
Slighly off topic, but what's the score with Gollywogs these days? are they still deemed innapropriate? or is it fine since they were rebranded as simply "Gollies"?

I ask because anyone who's been on a day trip to Skegness will know they are rife in giftshops. That, and on a visit to the cemetary this past Sunday, someone had left a collection of them at a nearby childs grave.

A friend of mine's dad was given a gollywog by his black workmate, with whom he'd always had a kind of tongue-in-cheek-racist-joke kind of friendship. Upon seeing it, his boss demanded he remove it on the grounds that it would be offensive to the guy who gave it to him. Fair enough given the letter-of-the-law approach they logically have to take to these things, but still funny.

I think they're deemed offensive regardless of shortening the name. I remembered this story from the BBC last year about a woman who had one in her window and the neighbour reported her to the police - LINK

As i suspected. That's why i was so baffled to see what was effectively a family of them (all different sizes) laid on a baby's gravestone and can't comprehend why they're so readily available in gift shops and so on.

Thinking about this topic overnight, and at a sports BBQ a couple of years ago, one of the players wives who was manning the grill tried to explain to me that someone had been asking for me. "Tall, black fella. Not gorilla black, but very very dark".

• Paid Members
German winter food is fucking divine.

What sort of stuff do you have? We keep getting the stereotypical sausages, pretzels, sauerkraut and beer over here, even in the German-themed Winter Wonderland in London at Christmas, where you'd think there'd be a bit more.

Edited by Carbomb

I have seen a more doubious version of this with a farmer i used to see in work he would say "i walked passed an indian resteraunt and i gotta admit it smelled pretty good, But i wouldnt trust those chinese, they all look scruffy and you don't know what they are putting in it"

Somewhat true of Chinese food to be fair. A lot of places will add MSGs which unfortunately give my fianc