My Best Film: Alfred Hitchcock

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

No, as long as I can make out what's going on, I don't mind. I'd prefer better quality, obviously, but it's not a deal breaker with me. It's a by-product of teen years spent watching films packed on VHS taped off Sky Movies, I think. You'll be waiting forever for The Friends Of Eddie Coyle to come on TV - it was never released at the cinemas over here!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After the orgasming over Daniel Day Lewis winning his 3rd Oscar, I'm glad someone finally pointed out that he's not therefore the most decorated actor of all time - Katherine Hepburn won 4 Best Actress Awards.

I like Fonda, but I'm more of a Mitchum man myself.

Finally pointing out? Every reference I've seen or heard about Day Lewis is that he was the first male to win Best Actor three times. I've never heard him being hailed as the most decorated (in terms of Academy Awards).

• Paid Members

You not big on torrents, Gladstone? I've managed to get a load of good stuff from various sites, and in particularly good quality. One massive bonus has been when I get an HD rip and connect it up to the TV via HDMI. Amazing viewing.

• Paid Members

No, I don't do torrents, can't be arsed trying to figure it all out. I can find about 99% of the films I want to watch without them, usually.

• Paid Members
Have you seen Lifeboat Gladders? It's went under a bit of a critical reappraisal in recent years and I thought it was pretty great when I watched it, even if it is still a bit forgotten.

Lifeboat is a fantastic film and a brave move for a Director at the time to set a film in such a limiting space. Its remake Lifepod is a guilty pleasure of mine and is one of the less shitty TV remakes of a Hitchcock film (Christopher Reeves in Rear Window I'm looking at you!)

Robert Mitchum probably did a greater range of films than Fonda. He was equally great as a good guy and a bad guy Have you seen The Friends Of Eddie Coyle, Loki? Saw that recently and he was awesome. Great film, too, I do like a 1970s crime thriller. It also has Peter Boyle in it by way of an added incentive.

Robert Mitchum is amazing in everything. He can go from being a likeable lead in The Sundowners (Actually any of his roles with Kerr) , show a flair for comedy in The Grass Is Greener and be menacing as fuck in The Night Of The Hunter and of course Cape Fear. I've still not seen Eddie Coyle, need to get that watched

You know how some actors are of their time? I'm not sure what sort of roles Fonda would pick up now, or James Cagney as another example. Bogarde would struggle to fit into the style of action or drama that's made today, as well.

If Mitchum were in his 40s now he'd be just as big a star. He exudes masculinity, seriousness and danger.

• Paid Members

No love for "Strangers On A Train", it's a truly wonderful film and definately my favourite Hitchcock.

It's also my wife's favourite film of all time.

Go watch it if you haven't seen it.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Strangers On A Train is excellent. Such a shame Robert Walker never really fulfilled his promise as an actor - his is one of the very best Hitchcock performances I've seen.

• Paid Members

Vertigo is a magnificent movie. So much so that I have a massive Vertigo block poster adorning the wall of my sitting room, whether the lady likes it or not.

I can't stress enough how gay I am for Jimmy Stewart in that movie. And Kim Novak is the only person I have ever nearly postumously banged one out to. Only guilt and shame stopped me.

Seriously though, I have never seen anything to this day that captivated me like Vertigo did when I first watched it and I consider it to be the most near perfect movie of all time.

I'm not a big fan of Psycho. Shame on me, I know. Good movie, but I think he has made far more suspenseful movies (Rope and Frenzy being two).

I also think Family Plot is criminally underrated, and a fantastic swansong for the man.

Archived