Summer Holiday Thread

GlennCullen

• Paid Members

Right then, the better half wants to go away this summer to somewhere warm where we can presumably burn horrifically and abuse all inclusive alcohol. Now I haven't really done this before (i.e swan off to a random sunny european country, bot go on holiday at all) so the purpose of the thread is twofold:

1. For everybody to share their upcoming and even previous summer holidays

And slightly more self servingly

2. Recommend places for me to go (don't spare the details!)

Fire away gang.

• Paid Members
If that's all you want from your holiday I'd say just look on icelolly and pick anywhere that's a decent price in the timeframe you wanna go.

It's looking like I will likely be going to Manilla, KL and Singapore this summer (all one trip).

That's what she seems set on, I normally prefer city breaks if I'm honest but it'll nice to do next to bugger all for a week. My fear is picking a place that looks decent enough but ends up a shithole which is why recommendations would be appreciated.

Your holiday sounds bloody delightful by the way Chest.

• Paid Members

I'm going to Florida in April for 2 weeks, somewhere else (not decided) later in the year, probably August/September for a week, and if I can save enough money maybe New York for New Year's Eve.

I'm so excited about Florida though - this will be my 7th time in total. As my friend and I want to do so many things I've made a little calendar. I'm really anal like that. I've looked on the websites for all the theme parks to know the opening and closing times and planned out when we should do each one to make sure we get to do them all. It's really packed this time though and we only have one day where we have nothing at all planned and that our first full day there. We're doing:

Animal Kingdom/Magic Kingdom

Blizzard Beach

Busch Gardens

Typhoon Lagoon

Islands of Adventure

Swimming with Manatees

Tampa Bay Storm vs New Orleans Voodoo

Epcot/Hollywood Studios

Aquatica

SeaWorld

Crazy Golf

And squeeze in some shopping along the way too!

• Moderators
If that's all you want from your holiday I'd say just look on icelolly and pick anywhere that's a decent price in the timeframe you wanna go.

It's looking like I will likely be going to Manilla, KL and Singapore this summer (all one trip).

That's what she seems set on, I normally prefer city breaks if I'm honest but it'll nice to do next to bugger all for a week. My fear is picking a place that looks decent enough but ends up a shithole which is why recommendations would be appreciated.

I feel you on the apprehension. Trouble is there are an awful lot of places that fit the bill when your holiday requirements are that simple... I really do think the best way of narrowing it down is to do what I said initially, and then when you've got 2 or 3 places to choose between throw it open to some feedback.

But then again, I wouldn't even book a trip like that more than two weeks before going so I can appreciate this approach is not for everyone.

Cheers. I am looking forward to it, but it's a bit of ashame that my cousin that was living in KL will most likely have moved by the time I go. We will have other people we know living there though, and in Manilla as well.

• Awards Moderator

We're doing a weekend in Paris at the end of June for the Springsteen gig there, followed by an 8-day multi-centre holiday to Italy in early July. Rome, Florence and Venice. Should be cultural!

Might try and grab a couple of days in the Lake District if we can, too.

I'm off to Barcelona for a few days in June for my friends 30th birthday, its second time to Barcelona, I loved it the first time I went.

Thinking about a trip to the States towards the back end of the year, my friend wants to do a small tour/drive around the West Coast, will have to see how things work out moneywise. I had planned a trip to Brazil this year but looks like that will have to wait till next year as I wanted to go for 3 weeks and work have said no for this year :(

• Paid Members
We're doing a weekend in Paris at the end of June for the Springsteen gig there, followed by an 8-day multi-centre holiday to Italy in early July. Rome, Florence and Venice. Should be cultural!

We went to Venice for 4 nights last March and it was fantastic. The people on the whole were very friendly, the food was fantastic and the whole place is stunning. If you find yourself in the Castello region then hunt down the little pizza place at the end of Calle Mondo near Santa Maria Formosa Square for lunch, the best pizza I've ever tasted, get a slice or two to take out and it will keep you going for a while. If you are on San Marco Square you need to eat at Cafe Florian, one of the oldest Cafes in Venice, the decor is simply amazing, service is great but as with most places to eat in Venice its very expensive. If you can afford it pay for a private water taxi ride down the Grand Canal, you get to see a lot of the iconic sights that way, most hotels can arrange one but you'll be looking at least 100 euros for that. We want to go back once our finances allow it.

• Awards Moderator

We went to Venice for 4 nights last March and it was fantastic. The people on the whole were very friendly, the food was fantastic and the whole place is stunning. If you find yourself in the Castello region then hunt down the little pizza place at the end of Calle Mondo near Santa Maria Formosa Square for lunch, the best pizza I've ever tasted, get a slice or two to take out and it will keep you going for a while. If you are on San Marco Square you need to eat at Cafe Florian, one of the oldest Cafes in Venice, the decor is simply amazing, service is great but as with most places to eat in Venice its very expensive. If you can afford it pay for a private water taxi ride down the Grand Canal, you get to see a lot of the iconic sights that way, most hotels can arrange one but you'll be looking at least 100 euros for that. We want to go back once our finances allow it.

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely check out those eateries. We're only there for two nights so I think the plan's mainly to wander around looking at the main sights - San Marco Square will certainly be one of them.

Sadly I think the private water taxi will be a bit out of the price range. :( .

• Paid Members

Agreed. I only spent one day in Singapore on a stopover so I wish I could have seen more.

• Paid Members

We're hoping to go to America this year. Late summer/early autumn-ish is the plan, funds permitting. My girlfriend wants to go to New York, she's obsessed with the place after going once as a kid. I'd like to go somewhere more summery, especially after our last couple of holidays have been in Canada. I was thinking Florida.

I don't know. She'll most likely get her own way.

• Paid Members

going on the bog standard Gran Canaria piss up in July. Id rather do something else really but it was a case of them organising it and me just paying up...should be a laugh regardless.

• Paid Members
We're hoping to go to America this year. Late summer/early autumn-ish is the plan, funds permitting. My girlfriend wants to go to New York, she's obsessed with the place after going once as a kid. I'd like to go somewhere more summery, especially after our last couple of holidays have been in Canada. I was thinking Florida.

I don't know. She'll most likely get her own way.

You won't regret NY mate, i've been going every 6 months since I was 17 and it's still great value. Best city in the world.

Archived