Predictability

FrankCastle

Thanks guys, some interesting points raised here to with regard to my original post.

To play Devil's Advocate a bit, I'd argue that while in the past WWE/F may have been predictable, you couldn't see certain things coming. For instance, after Summerslam 91 would you have even guessed The Undertaker would get a WWF Title shot at Survivor Series? Would you have guessed that when Bret Hart won the Intercontinental Title at WrestleMania VIII, that he'd beat Ric Flair for the WWE Title a few months later?

I know things are vastly different now, but I wonder if the increased number of PPVs and wall to wall weekly programming have made things far more difficult to plan long term and intricately. I'd guess for stressed out WWE writers when they're producing so much live television that it becomes natural to go for the simplest route to the final goal.

Conversely, I am enjoying some things WWE are doing - the Ryback push is well done and the glimmer of a heel turn is good, as is the uncertainty of when Dolph Ziggler will cash in the Money in the Bank Briefcase. While I'm not a big fan of him at all, the Alberto Del Rio title win was unexpected and freshened up the WHC Title picture, and I like the fact that they've at least tried to establish a few decent tag teams.

In hindsight, I think the main event, particularly what's happened leading up to Cena v Rock 2, may be where my discontent lies. If, as I think it will, Rock drops the title to Cena to give him his win back, then Cena will inevitably have one more rubber match at most with Rock, which he'll win because Rock will disappear back to Hollywood, and then his only credible challenger at the moment is Punk, and that's a feud and series of matches we've seen plenty of times before.

Granted, a heel Sheamus or Ryback may provide some variety, but I can't see that happening. The only different guy I could see gonig after Cena is Mark Henry.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived