Predictability

FrankCastle

If this topic has already been covered elsewhere, mods, please feel free to delete or move...

Basically, I cast my mind back twelve months to another messageboard I used to post on (and got banned from for suggesting AJ Lee wasn't a very good Raw GM), and the consensus of opinion was that The Rock would beat John Cena in the main event of WrestleMania, because WWE would be mad to put Cena over in front of Rock's home crowd, and the fact they were paying Rock a lot of money, so he wouldn't just turn up to job.

Lo and behold, they were right.

Twelve months later, and people are suggesting that Rock v Cena II will undoubtedly end with a Cena win. The reasons being Cena put Rock over last year, WWE can't possibly keep the title on a part timer, and Cena hasn't held the belt in over a year.

I wouldn't bet against that outcome, obviously without seeing Raw tonight.

My question is: Has WWE become too predictable, particularly in it's main event? I could see Rock's title win coming as soon as Cena won the Rumble. I can see Cena winning the belt at WrestleMania. This has nothing to do with Cena-hate, rather the fact that once he's in with a shot of the belt, he rarely comes out second best. I have to admit I'm not looking forward to the prospect of another Cena reign, which again will probably lead to a feud with Punk as The Rpck will go back to Hollywood, and then, are we back to 2011 again?

I don't mean this to be a moan, but I'd like to be proved wrong, and see some genuinely unpredictable storylines and matches I've never seen before, but I honestly think that it's got to the point you can see WWE's main event planning months in advance, and to me that's hurting the product in the long term.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Basically, I cast my mind back twelve months to another messageboard I used to post on (and got banned from for suggesting AJ Lee wasn't a very good Raw GM), and the consensus of opinion was that The Rock would beat John Cena in the main event of WrestleMania, because WWE would be mad to put Cena over in front of Rock's home crowd, and the fact they were paying Rock a lot of money, so he wouldn't just turn up to job.

That's not how I remember it. I remember it being more 50/50. And if not, most were "certain" of the "logical outcome" for a Cena victory since "Rock was only part time."

Regardless, I thought it was one of the harder to predict WM main events to call in a long time.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it's easy to say with hindsight that last year's match was predictable, but it wasn't clear that The Rock was going to be staying around after WrestleMania. I think opinion was split on here. I definitely couldn't call it, I remember that much.

This year appears to be much more predictable, but I don't particularly mind that, because I want to see Cena get his win back, I want him to be the Champ again and I want to see morons crying on the internet when he does it.

Did you expect Slaughter to beat Hulk at WM7? Did you ever expect Sid to go over Taker at WM13? Or HBK to beat Austin? Y2J to beat HHH???

Its as predictable as ever. They still give you the odd match that keeps you guessing, but most of the time you can see the result a mile away. Does it really bother you? In the end we all watch it to see the good guy overcome the bad guy and to hopefully see the odd suprise thrown in here and there.

I thought Cena would win last year; I think he'll win this year. I'm as likely to be wrong this time as I was 12 months ago.

For all its faults, the WWE is pretty good at booking its main events, and keeping enough uncertainty to get you hooked.

• Moderators

Much like many others here, I didn't think Rock would win and he did.

But ont he general point of predictability - it's not such a bad thing. There's plenty of things that are unpredictable, but not everything needs to be. Being unpredictable for the sake of it leads to shitty "swerves" instead of a solid consistent build with a decent payoff. As long as they do enough in the build and match that, in the heat of the moment whilst watching them go at it, you feel like anyone could win at times then they've done their job well.

I was convinced that Cena would win last year.

In my mind, it made no sense to have The Rock who had only had one match (a tag match at that) in 7 years go over WWE's top guy. I know Punk was champ at the time, but we all know that Cena is WWE's top guy. Despite it being in ROck's hometown, they could have had Cena win. The spot were Cena rolled through the body press to hit the AA would have been the finish if Cena was to go over.

It was damaging to Cena (never thought I'd type that) hence why he had to get some credabiltiy back by beating Lesnar a month later. You could have still had both matches happen. If Cena was to go over Rock at WM, he then has the match with Lesnar and loses, which then gives legitimacy to Brock's hard as fuck ex-MMA Champion aura.

It was simply a case of WWE wanted to send the crowd home happy. Having said that, I can't see them have Cena lose to Rock two years in a row.

Wasn't it reported that Rock was booked for Extreme Rules in April? If so, Cena goes over at WM29 and then you only have a few weeks to the rubber match, thus ending Rock/Cena forever, as early reports are suggesting Rock/Lesnar for WM30 in New Orleans

• Paid Members
This thread sums them up quite nicely:

http://www.wrestlingforum.com/raw/706025-r...ll-cm-punk.html

Holy fuck what a headache that place is. Embedded youtube videos as signatures?! I'm so glad this place is here, nice and de-cluttered and easy to read, with hardly any mongs. I have little interest in Wrestling these days, but if this place was like that forum, I wouldn't even bother checking the results.

• Paid Members
What if no one is providing them with what they want, but WWE are still the nearest to the mark?

If a good band turns shit, do you force yourself to continually listen to the new albums that you don

Archived