WWE Elimination Chamber 2013

Arch Stanton

• Awards Moderator

I watched this... that makes two PPVs in a row!

Didn't pay much attention to Del Rio vs. Show as 1) I had nearly finished my book and wanted to get to the end (The Twelve by Justin Cronin, excellent, but read The Passage first) and 2) I already saw it last month. It was okay though.

Cesaro vs. Miz I liked - I guess it'll carry on after that finish, which is fine. Cesaro seems like more of a focal point now than he has done beforehand, which is good.

Chamber match - first question, is Swagger a heel? I think he is, but the kind of stuff Zeb Colter goes on about seems a little like the kind of thing the "USA, USA" crowd would like... The match itself was pretty decent, Kane gave a good reason for wanting to win beforehand and Henry was a monster, and definitely the highlight of it. I reckoned it would be between him, Jericho or Swagger to face ADR at WrestleMania, and while I'm disappointed Henry didn't win, what he did afterwards was great enough that it was fine. Swagger vs. Del Rio might be good at 'Mania, and it was probably fairly obvious that Swags would win the Chamber, I hope Del Rio's face turn, and Colter's nastiness, has got enough momentum behind it that the match does well. I don't know if it was intentional, but Swagger's new music sounds a bit like a rip off of 'The Road I Must Travel' by The Nightwatchman, which would be a nice bit of continuity from the Rage rip-off of his old music if so.

I LOVED the Six Man Tag. JLM kind of already summed it up, but The Shield are superb and there was a great atmosphere of chaos throughout. Brilliant match. Also I find it quite funny that Ryback just can't win a big match. Match of the night for me, others have said it better so I'll just reiterate that I LOVED it. I don't know what'll happen with The Shield from now but for the moment, they're brilliant.

I think I could actually hear King Pitcos groan from here when Kofi was announced as Dolph's opponent. I think I'd have preferred Tensai & Brodus vs. Rhodes Scholars on the main show, but it got Ziggler on there which I guess was the purpose. Poor Tensai, though, he's back exactly where he was in 2001/2002. Those figures Brodus was playing with looked fun.

Kaitlyn's match happened.

I have to admit, I was bored during Rock vs. Punk. I guess probably because I'd already seen it the previous month with higher stakes, but I couldn't get into it. Seemed to me that Punk had it legitimately won after Chioda's bump off the apron, he has a pretty genuine case for being screwed this time.

Overall, one match I loved, and a couple I liked. It was fun enough but not as good as the Rumble.

I'm tired.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
Del Rio & Big Show needs to be over with, though credit must go to Berti for getting a decent match of show (again).

What? Show's been having consistently good matches since 2011. It's nothing to do with "getting a decent match out of show", Show's actually very good. He's not plodding about like it's 2002.

Why in wrestling do so many people rate someone currently on their old work? Especially if 300+ lbs.

Del Rio Vs Big Show was a really good match. The way it was structured really reminded me of a Last Man Standing match. The spot with the bucket was botched at first but Del Rio quickly corrected the mistake and didn't let it ruin anything. He's great as a face Del Rio, plus the red gear he was wearing looked great.

Miz Vs Antonio Cesaro not a bad match but not a great match. Nice to the US title get what seems like a proper feud though.

Elimination Chamber match was pretty good, apart from Swagger winning. I don't want to comment much on this one. Mark Henry, Jericho and Orton were all fantastic though.

Team Superheros Vs The Shield was an alright match. I thought Cena didn't really do much for the match, the ending was good apart from the pinfall. Seemed like the camera hid how close Cena was to break the pin when he got his leg grabbed. I thought Cena was pretty rotten actually. Ryback was the most over of the night, again. Hopefully they give him a big win at Mania against Big Show or something. I cringed abit seeing the barrier for the Lilian Garcia area be broken down again. I can't name when but it seems like they use that spot far too much.

Kingston Vs Ziggler again. In a match that wont exist once its ended.

There was a divas match which I had very little interest in.

Rock Vs Punk was pretty dire aswell.

I decided not to watch live as im usually so tired that i always hate the main event. Having just watched it now i thought it was bloody brilliant. Punk as a heel can use rest holds to cover rocks weaknesses, his a heel. Heels use rest holds. Heyman was superb throughout the match. The kick outs had my jumping off my chair and i just loved it. Punk vs Rock is something id love to see again.

Although this means Rock vs Cena at Mania i do hope Punk gets added to the mix, he seems to bring out the best in both guys and it'll also play into Cena overcoming both people when he eventually wins the belt.

Big Show was great, Mark Henry was even greater and i was really surprised seeing Swag get the win.

Overall an alright show, Del Rio took the wind out of my sails when he slipped from the top rope and had to re-do the kick, but it was a good match up until that point. Big Show has been pulling it out the bag since Over The Limit last year at the latest, don't get why people still feel that he can't work.

Fell asleep during Miz/Cesaro, woke up to the replay of the finish, it's an odd one, but means we'll probably get some sort of re-match at Mania.

The Chamber match was a goodun. Even though it lacked a proper 'holy shit/highlight reel' moment, the characters and stories going on meant that it didn't suffer. I didn't think they'd go for Swagger in all honesty, I was expecting a Jericho/Ziggler match, rather than pushing an angle that's only been going on a week. I've a horrible feeling we may be seeing Orton/Henry at Mania, which has been on SmackDown the past two weeks.

The six-man tag was absolutely fantastic! The Shield has really blown me away in the two matches they've had on tv, you wouldn't believe six months ago they were working NXT. Surprised they went over Ryback again instead of Sheamus, who probably wouldn't have been hurt too badly by taking the loss. I wonder if they're running out of ideas for Ryback or if they've got something massive planned for Ryback/Shield at Mania.

Rock and Punk had the most disappointing match of 2013 so far, Rock just doesn't look like he has the cardio for it anymore, and it's not like the match before the 5 minutes of chin locks was super intense. The bit where Chioda was knocked out while Punk covered Rock is insurance in my eyes. If the Undertaker can't go at Mania, then there's a bit of background there for Punk to slot into the main event. Although I was convinced Chioda would see the belt when Rock covered Punk and there would be some sort of screwy finish.

So an alright show that lays some of the ground work for Mania, I expect lots more to be sorted after tonight though.

• Moderators

What do we do with Mark Henry now? I want a SUPERTEAM of him and Show killing shit.

Really, how anyone can not claim that he's THE MAN at the moment is beyond me. What a total star he came over as last night. The intensity, everything. Total Man of the Match performance by the big man.

• Moderators
Does Mark Henry have the record for longest time taken to improve? Fifteen years of shit, and now mildly watchable. Good on him.

No. He was enjoyable in 2003 as a killer on Raw, his ECW run was fantastic too. And it's not as if he's mildly watchable these days, he's super duper watchable. No-one else in wrestling at the moment seems as believable, has his aura as a killer, and he plays his character to perfection. Not to mention his intensity, which is off the hook. He's the real cool heel for discerning adults, not CM Punk. I'm just hoping they don't turn him face after he got a nice ovation last night and has been starting to get pops when he comes out.

I'd genuinely like to see a colossal tag match between Brodus/Tensai and Henry/Show. With the latter winning, of course.

A five minute sprint of them knocking lumps out of each other? Yes please!

Del Rio & Big Show needs to be over with, though credit must go to Berti for getting a decent match of show (again).

What? Show's been having consistently good matches since 2011. It's nothing to do with "getting a decent match out of show", Show's actually very good. He's not plodding about like it's 2002.

Why in wrestling do so many people rate someone currently on their old work? Especially if 300+ lbs.

I have to agree with Butch, Shows matches against sheamus were great.

I am personally not a fan of Del Rio, I didnt like him as a heel and dislike him more as a face.

PS I have such a hard on for the shield, two matches and both awesome.

• Moderators

And it's little things like that which make a wrestler, and especially Mark Henry, great. There's more to a wrestler's shtick than crisp moves and being athletic. Banging on the pod like a caged angry beast when you've got that killer gimmick means so so much.

Does Mark Henry have the record for longest time taken to improve? Fifteen years of shit, and now mildly watchable. Good on him.

No. He was enjoyable in 2003 as a killer on Raw, his ECW run was fantastic too. And it's not as if he's mildly watchable these days, he's super duper watchable. No-one else in wrestling at the moment seems as believable, has his aura as a killer, and he plays his character to perfection. Not to mention his intensity, which is off the hook. He's the real cool heel for discerning adults, not CM Punk. I'm just hoping they don't turn him face after he got a nice ovation last night and has been starting to get pops when he comes out.

I'd genuinely like to see a colossal tag match between Brodus/Tensai and Henry/Show. With the latter winning, of course.

A five minute sprint of them knocking lumps out of each other? Yes please!

I genuinely lol'd at the part I've bolded. I understand people aren't fans of CM Punk on here, but to say Mark Henry is a better heel than him is ludicrous. Do you actually beleve that, or are you ripping the piss?

And it's little things like that which make a wrestler, and especially Mark Henry, great. There's more to a wrestler's shtick than crisp moves and being athletic. Banging on the pod like a caged angry beast when you've got that killer gimmick means so so much.

Yeah it makes a big difference the others could of done something not coping Henry but they just stood there , I mean Kane is supposed to be a monster and wanted to headline wrestlemania for the first time in 15 years I want to see something not just a 1000 yard stare

Archived