WWE Elimination Chamber 2013

Arch Stanton

Also the very first Money in the Bank was cashed in on the "wrong" title. No reason it can't happen again. I don't think it will, but if they want Ziggler to win the WWE title, they'll do it and find a reason for him being able to afterwards.

The first mitb briefcases were for any titles though, it only got brand specific when it became a ppv

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty sure the first couple of MITBs weren't brand exclusive, it was only when Money In The Bank became a PPV that they started having Raw and Smackdown briefcases.

Anyway, really looking forward to Elimination Chamber. This is the most immersed I've been in the product in a good 5 years, not just for the Road to Wrestlemania but since around the Hell In A Cell PPV. The overall quality has really picked up, and there's a solid mix of veterans and new stars.

For this event, it's crazy to think that there's essentially 4 main events- Rock/Punk, the Elimination Chamber, Del Rio/Show and Team Cena vs. The Shield. Not bad for a B PPV.

Looking forward to the Chamber match the most. As far as Rock/Punk goes, I'm mildly hopeful that Dwayne heard the criticisms about his ring rust and works extra hard here. I enjoyed the Rumble match, but he was clearly a lot slower than he has been in the past. Way too much bulk there, Hercules. Del Rio vs. Show is a weird feud in that it started with the big gimmick matches and worked its way down to a regular singles match. Big Show put a nice spin on it with "Del Rio has never pinned me" though. Team Cena vs. The Shield is fairly predictable, it's Cena's redemption year and the Rumble winner ain't losing on the last big stop before Wrestlemania. It'll also be really weird seeing the Shield adhere to regular six man tag rules, this really should have been a Chamber match.

WWE has really stepped up their game the past 6 months, I expect it to continue here.

• Paid Members

With such a strong card it feels almost cheeky to not pay the subscription fee. Its surely time for Ziggler to cash in the MITB and I hope he finally does but I sense a Jericho win in the chamber.

Orton is bound to turn heel soon, but I guess he may well be chasing after Cena post-Mania.

QgLlp.gif

It's like the Rock-Austin of shit attempts at Rock-Austin.

Also the very first Money in the Bank was cashed in on the "wrong" title. No reason it can't happen again. I don't think it will, but if they want Ziggler to win the WWE title, they'll do it and find a reason for him being able to afterwards.

The first mitb briefcases were for any titles though, it only got brand specific when it became a ppv

The very first Money in the Bank match was Raw-specific, and only for the World title shot as that was Raw's belt at the time. Then a few months after WrestleMania, the champions switched shows.

I sense Brock interfering in the match between Punk and the Rock, leading to the Undertaker coming out to help the Rock. This leads to Punk vs Undertaker at Wrestlemania. Just a thought.

Jericho winning in the elimination chamber and Dolph cashing in MITB tonight is a nice idea, but I'd rather Dolph cash in on Raw tomorrow night in front of a bigger TV audience or at Mania itself.

So many things could happen!

Looks like a strong card. Three matches I'm really looking forward to:

1. Cena, Ryback and Sheamus vs The Shield has the novelty of having a babyface Super Team and of it being a rare chance to actually see The Shield wrestle. The faces looked class together on Monday and I'm hoping this is just a crazy fight with them throwing bombs and the Shield guys taking some crazying bumps.

2. Show and Del Rio have been having a great feud and if this is up to the caliber of their SmackDown and Royal Rumble matches we are in for another strong showing from both. Could certainly see Berty defending only to get KO'd post-match and then have Ziggler cash-in. I was half expecting that at the Rumble with the LMS stip since they could have really played that up as having taken it out of him.

Wouldn't be shocked if at some point in the future we find out that was the original plan and that Del Rio was only ever going to be a short-term champ but they decided to keep the strap on him for another month since he was getting over.

3. The Chamber match itself should be interesting. Only having the one match should make it stand out that bit much more. Hoping we get some crazy power spots from Henry and Swagger.

I'd love for Henry to win it but for a change it seems there are a number of possibilities that would all make sense - Jericho winning to set up him vs Ziggler would seem the "obvious" conclusion although it really does depend if Ziggler cashes in tonight (or maybe tomorrow on Raw?). If they hold off on Ziggler cash-in till Mania then I could see him facing Jericho for the MITB contract on the show and have Del Rio/Henry or Del Rio/Orton.

If Orton wins I expect him to turn heel but I wouldn't be shocked if it happened. Before Monday I'd have said Swagger stood no chance but if they really want to establish his new gimmick then the way to go is having him eliminate Orton (maybe after Orton eliminates Henry then gets a WSS) and Jericho in succession.

Probably Miz over Cesaro, as I can see Miz defending against someone in the early goings of the Mania card, which Cesaro may not make

Good point. Presumed they'd keep it on Cesaro but he's had it since SummerSlam thinking about it I agree there's a good chance he wouldn't even make the WM card. Have Miz make him tap to the Figure Four and then the next night on Raw he can show highlights of the Youtube reactions from Cesaro to it on an episode of Miz TV. :devil:

Orton is bound to turn heel soon, but I guess he may well be chasing after Cena post-Mania.

QgLlp.gif

It's like the Rock-Austin of shit attempts at Rock-Austin.

Look on the brights side King, at least it's not Triple H-Orton.

• Paid Members

Had major stream issues throughout Del Rio/Show so I struggled to get into it. Seemed like a solid opener though.

I thoroughly enjoyed Miz vs. Cesaro. I'm a big fan of the classic, simple, work the injured body part match up and Cesaro's varied arsenal of gloriously crisp, precise and yet still brutal offense is perfect for the purpose. Miz played his role brilliantly too. I think I wouldn't hate babyface Miz nearly as much if he'd shut the up, drop the cringeworthy Flair nonsense and just do some fiery underdog babyface wrasslin. I'd still struggle to ever buy him as a babyface because his promos make me want to murder everyone and he has an insanely punchable face, but this match was the first thing I've ever seen him do that I didn't hate.

Was a bit disappointed that this Zeb Coulter promo watered down the xenophobia and racism and went for the decidedly tamer "illegal immigrants" instead. I feel like if you're going to push the envelope in an attempt to make Jack Swagger interesting then you might as well go all in. The excellent new music and his slightly more intense demeanour and style are positive steps but there's still a lot to be done.

I felt like Swagger's new gimmick made him a perfect opponent for Del Rio at 'Mania, so the result of the chamber match wasn't a a surprise. The match was still really good though, and I thought the closing stretch was fantastic. Of course, the main thing I wanted to see was Mark Henry saving face in defeat with an utterly beastly performance and he certainly did that and the crowd responded accordingly. Menry is so fucking good.

Shield vs Cena/Ryback/Sheamus was superb I thought. The Shield's continuous, seamless tag team work is a joy to watch and both the match itself and the commentators put over the importance of that brilliantly. The Shield really are excellent. Ambrose has such great mannerisms and a general unsettling weirdness about him and is a perfect cult leader, Rollins is the berserk, fanatical, die for the cause type (who more than delivered with his bit of their promo on RAW last week) and then Reigns looks better every week as the enforcer. I particularly like how he roars like a loon at every opportunity, and I like that all three of them keep preaching and hurling abuse and generally stay on message the whole time they're on screen.

Ryback's hot tag was great, Cena and Sheamus both did well as faces in peril, and each time they had their comeback cut off seemed more and more surprising as the crowd was just waiting for the babyface dream team to fire up and all hit their finishers together like on RAW and kill it off. I thought it was a particularly excellent touch that they teased that happening for the finish to make the Shield win even more of a shocker. Also the bit before all of that where everything went mental and Sheamus got twatted through the barricade was brilliant. This win is so much more valuable to The Shield than any of the other three and it was cool to see them get it.

Ziggler vs. Kofi was a thing. Guess it was good that they had Big E. do something on pay per view. His gear, his hair cut and the fact that he currently has no purpose whatsoever are still problems though.

Divas match was fine. I feel for Kaitlyn as she's clearly working her arse off and is willing to bump all over the show for the cause but the division is non-existent.

Rock vs Punk was alright. Lots of stalling and shortcuts as you'd expect; Rock looks gassed so early into his matches on this run. Still got pretty good towards the end, though it was hard to invest in this as the result was just a bit too clear before the match.

Not a bad show at all. I liked Miz/Cesaro and was very much into the Chamber and the six man tag matches. Rock/Punk was decent, I missed most of Show/Del Rio and the filler was fine too.

I think I woke up my neighbours shouting out loud when Reigns speared Sheamus through the barricade, and almost took out Lilian at the same time. Could have been a Charlie Haas situation all over again. It's those kind of chaotic moments that makes their stuff so exciting to watch. I'm sure Ryback will get his payback at Mania, but they've done a great job sticking with The Shield for this long.

Perfectly good show heading into Mania.

It weren't a bad show, but it weren't great either. Del Rio & Big Show needs to be over with, though credit must go to Berti for getting a decent match of show (again).

Cesaro's gimmick may be a little dull but he is really brilliant in the ring. Takes the lead in every match and looks hard as hell, he is as natural a talent that I've seen in WWE in years.

I was worried they did the chamber match too early but it worked out ok. I had a suspicion Swagger would win. Not sure why they're trying to make Bryan the heel in the upcoming Kane feud, he is so more over as a face than Kane.

Shield were great. Top notch. But Ryback losing AGAIN. Fucking madness. Sheamus had absolutely no reason to not take the fall here, meanwhile Skip looks like a total chump. Rubbish. Poor booking.

Punk-Rock was ok. Punk looked like a wrestler and Rock looked like a trier. It's pretty shite for the WWE champion to look like a trier in two straight matches.

Quite a good PPV to be fair didn't feel like a lot really happened other than Swagger becoming the number one contender for Del Rio's Title though.

When Del Rio and Big Show were first on I thought there's no way Ziggler's cashing in tonight then as it'll spoil whether Jericho is winning and really it would be a climax right at the start of the show and nothing else could have overcome that shock/surprise cash in for the rest of the night. I actually said to a mate at work that with Swagger's new sort of view and saying about stopping them getting over the border etc that it'll be Swagger and Del Rio at WrestleMania. But in the lead up to Elimination Chamber I started to think Jericho winning and Ziggler cashing in would be so much better. So I thought either Swagger wins and Ziggler isn't cashing in until WrestleMania or after WrestleMania or Jericho wins and Ziggler's cashing in tomorrow night on Raw. So yeah it looks as if it's the former.

Glad The Shield went over too, 2-0 to them in official WWE matches. Very concerned about them having Ryback getting pinned though, why couldn't it have been Ryback speared through the barricade and Sheamus pinned? Ryback has much more to lose getting pinned than Sheamus would have had.

Punk will probably continue on saying he was screwed as he had The Rock down for a count of about ten but the ref was out. I'm just wondering where this will go now and if this rumoured Punk and Undertaker WrestleMania match will be happening. If Taker is okay for it then I'd love to see it but if he isn't I'm not sure where they're going with Punk for WrestleMania. He can't really be involved in Cena and The Rock as this is the rematch from last year and the revenge of Cena. Brock is in a feud with Triple H and Vince McMahon, Jericho and Ziggler have been in a bit of a mini feud but that may be over now but both men will need to be doing something at WrestleMania, I'm assuming Ryback and The Shield are still going to be feuding. So unless Taker is okay for WrestleMania then I haven't a clue what Punk will be doing there.

Loved the Chamber match, especially the end sequence with Jericho and Orton. Henry looked like a beast as well. Not sure I like Swagger coming from total obscurity to a Wrestlemania main event, but we'll see where it goes.

Team Cena vs. The Shield was lovely and chaotic. I feel like Ryback got pinned a little too easily considering he didn't take very much damage prior to the finish, but he presumably will look a lot stronger at Wrestlemania if this Shield thing continues.

Del Rio vs. Show was a nice opener, I missed about the last 3 minutes of it so didn't catch the botching, but they have pretty good chemistry in the ring.

Rock/Punk was a disappointment. Rock has serious cardio issues carrying around so much muscle, and Punk's use of rest hold chinlocks rivalled Orton at his worst. I actually preferred the Rumble match to this by a considerable amount, and I thought at the Rumble they were holding back for a future meeting.

Hoping that Rock's been back long enough for Cena to drop the insider bullshit going forward to Wrestlemania. Really, really hoping filming for Hercules or whatever finishes up ASAP so Rock can get a bit more lean for Wrestlemania.

Archived