WWE Elimination Chamber 2013

Arch Stanton

• Paid Members

20130124_EC_header_sponsor.png

SUNDAY 17 FEBRUARY, 1am Sky Sports 1. Full card as follows...

WWE CHAMPION THE ROCK VS. CM PUNK (IF ROCK IS COUNTED OUT OR DISQUALIFIED, PUNK WINS THE WWE TITLE)

20130201_ARTICLE_EC_rock_punk.jpg

The Rock is WWE Champion once again, but will his reign survive the efforts of a fuming CM Punk at Elimination Chamber? (Full article at WWE.com)

JOHN CENA, RYBACK & SHEAMUS VS. THE SHIELD

20130201_ARTICLE_EC_6man2.jpg

At Elimination Chamber, The Shield will compete in its second officially sanctioned WWE bout, facing a veritable all-star team of John Cena, Ryback & Sheamus! (Full article at WWE.com)

ELIMINATION CHAMBER MATCH TO DETERMINE THE NO. 1 CONTENDER FOR THE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

20130201_ARTICLE_EC_6man.jpg

With several former World Heavyweight Champions vying to challenge for the World Title at WrestleMania 29, who will prevail in this high-stakes contest inside the Elimination Chamber? (Full article at WWE.com)

WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION ALBERTO DEL RIO VS. BIG SHOW

20130201_ARTICLE_EC_show_delrio.jpg

World Heavyweight Champion Alberto Del Rio will seek to avenge his best friend, Ricardo Rodriguez, when he faces The World's Largest Athlete at WWE Elimination Chamber. (Full article at WWE.com)

UNITED STATES CHAMPION ANTONIO CESARO VS. THE MIZ

20130201_ARTICLE_EC_cesaro_miz.jpg

At Elimination Chamber, United States Champion Antonio Cesaro will take on The Miz. Will the always-game Awesome One be able to overcome the wear and tear he endured from Cesaro's attack on Raw? (Full article at WWE.com)

DIVAS CHAMPION KAITLYN VS. TAMINA SNUKA

20130201_ARTICLE_EC_divas.jpg

At Elimination Chamber, Divas Champion Kaitlyn will defend her title against Tamina Snuka. (Full article at WWE.com)

BRODUS CLAY & TENSAI VS. TEAM RHODES SCHOLARS (PRE-SHOW)

20130211_LIGHT_matches_tagteam_C-homepage.jpg

Team Rhodes Scholars will reunite, for one night only, against the newly formed unit of Brodus Clay & Tensai on the free Elimination Chamber Pre-Show, which streams live this Sunday. (Full article at WWE.com)

Paddy Power taking bets, as usual.

Pretty stacked card for what looks like a very, very strong show on paper. Really hope Mark Henry gets the win in the Chamber.

I expect the three top matches to be absolutely great fun, especially the Shield 6-man tag. That should be a riot.

Also nice that they are only going with one match in the Chamber this year. Makes that particular match feel more special.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Pre-Show bout will work the crowd up nicely, with Tensai and Brodus probably winning to start them off in a good mood. People shouldn't read too much into a Rhodes Scholars loss- It doesn't mean management are holding them down or whatever, they're just playing panto villains tonight to warm things up.

Kaitlyn/Tamina has had no build, but Kaitlyn's a champion the young ladies are getting behind, so she retains here I'd wager.

I've enjoyed the Miz/Cesaro build since they started interacting on Main Event at the turn of the year. Cesaro probably retains here through heelish tomfoolery, before Miz wins the rematch and the strap at Wrestlemania.

Bertie should retain the World title, but it'll be interesting to see if Dolph cashes in afterwards. If he doesn't...

...Menry wins in the Chamber and faces Del Rio at 'Mania. Del Rio retains there but goes into the Hall of Pain afterwards, crippling him, then Dolph becomes the first to cash in the case at a Wrestlemania. As for the Chamber itself, lots of options for them. The only two who definately won't win are Hell No, but even then it'll be fun to see how they keep that storyline running.

Not totally sure about The Shield/Team Cena. Either way, hopefully they get to give a decent account of themselves and this isn't the end of their badarsery.

Rock keeps the title and we all know he's going to face John Cena at Wrestlemania, but that's part of the fun in many respects. Nothing wrong with predictability in wrestling and the stipulation should make things quite lively.

• Paid Members
Also nice that they are only going with one match in the Chamber this year. Makes that particular match feel more special.

Indeed, they're using it exactly as it should be used IMO - as a "final eliminator" for a Wrestlemania challenger to the title which the Rumble winner isn't facing. In the past few years, it's just been a vehicle to mix things up before Mania - often by putting the "Smackdown" title on a "Raw" guy (although the lines are obviously even less defined this year)

As I'm here, I'll predict:

Rock retains to head to Mania vs. Cena

Cena/Ryback/Sheamus to win the match, but not necessarily come out of it unscathed

Anti-immigration Swagger to win the Chamber & go on to face Del Rio (who retains vs. Show)

Probably Miz over Cesaro, as I can see Miz defending against someone in the early goings of the Mania card, which Cesaro may not make

Kaitlyn to retain the Divas, as a) Kaitlyn vs AJ seems the likely Divas match for Mania, and b) she's amazing.

Edit: Actually, on reflection Kaitlyn & Trish vs AJ & AN Other seems more likely for Mania, so it could well be that Tamina takes the title and is the other. Kaitlyn is still amazing, though.

I'm not particularly invested in any of the outcomes, but I am looking forward to the show tonight. Rock vs Punk is either setting up Rock vs Cena or as an outside possibility, a triple threat. Both of which are fine, but don't excite me in and of themselves. With The Rock in it, though, it's got the big fight feel, CM Punk's on form, and Lesnar's been knocking about lately.

The six-man with The Shield is quite interesting. Cena's heading to the main event of WrestleMania so presumably he's getting the pin here (although it's Cena so he doesn't really need it)... Ryback's got all the history with them and has been royally fucked by the booking for about four or five months now so he needs the win most... And The Shield themselves might suffer from a loss, although they've just been treading water for ages now anyway and won't gain much from winning unless there's a plan for a big WrestleMania match with them. Anyway, it's quite novel to see a standard six-man tag with John Cena in it on a pay-per-view, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they're going to raise it above the quality of a regular TV six-man main event.

The Shield will compete in its second officially sanctioned WWE bout

That will come as a surprise to the thousands of people who have seen them compete in the many house show matches they've had. Ugh, WWE.[/Finmartin]

There really was something like that in a recent issue of Powerslam.

The World title contender chamber is a tough one to call. There's nobody there who makes a WrestleMania main event level match with Del Rio... But then, the World title match doesn't necessarily have to have much prominence on the show. Last year, Sheamus and Bryan didn't really even start feuding until after the WrestleMania match. I do love the idea of a Swagger vs Del Rio feud given Swagger's new gimmick, but he's only had it a week so it seems too soon. Kane and Bryan aren't winning it, are they? Orton's on his arse, momentum-wise. It's either Jericho (with a Ziggler cash-in on Del Rio surely imminent) or Henry. With it being the only one on the show, it's got the ability to stand out more. But some of the most fun in the chamber has been because the two-per-show format has given the likes of Kofi, Santino and Morrison spots in them to shine.

Don't think that The Shield would suffer too much from a loss, depending on how they follow it in the coming weeks. Ryback has recovered from a fair bit more.

As for the PPV itself, the three big matches interest me, but outside of that I can't be bothered. Got a feeling it'll be a "download and skip the shite" deal with this one.

• Paid Members

Ryback really needs a big win, unless they have decided that they don't actually want to push him as a top guy after all. The booking of him in all of his big matches so far would suggest that they are thinking about it, but reluctant to pull the trigger, which has left him dead on his arse in terms of momentum at the moment.

Of the three babyfaces in the match, he's the one that has the most history with The Shield, considering they cost him the WWE title twice and defeated him at the TLC PPV. It would make the most sense if he got his retribution against The Shield tonight, by getting the winning pinfall in heroic fashion. Cena doesn't need it and so long as he isn't on the losing team tonight, he won't lose any momentum going onto the WrestleMania main event. The Shield don't need the win either, when their MO is three-on-one ambush attacks, whether they have a 'W' or an 'L' on their record ultimately doesn't make them look any more or less dangerous.

I'm really hoping for the 6 man tag match to end up being in the Chamber, it'd put a nice twist on it and it could play into the one team at a disadvantage and pack of wolves mentality as it'd be two vs one at one point, maybe even three vs one and then the eliminations. Obviously the best way would be having The Shield get the number advantage, maybe have Ryback and Sheamus vs Ambrose then have the next two be Rollins and then Reigns and then obviously have Cena come in but by then maybe Sheamus will have been eliminated and then they will still have the numbers advantage to go on and win. I think we need The Shield to win here but wouldn't be surprised if WWE decide to have Cena become SuperCena again as he's going to be facing The Rock at WrestleMania and Cena has said himself that 2013 will be his year. So I think The Shield need to win or else it'll turn into another Nexus with a loss making them seem not a big deal anymore whereas I think WWE will think Cena should win to look strong against The Rock, wouldn't be surprised if they have Sheamus and Ryback already eliminated if they turn it into a Chamber match then when Cena comes in he overcomes the odds.

The Shield don't need the win either, when their MO is three-on-one ambush attacks, whether they have a 'W' or an 'L' on their record ultimately doesn't make them look any more or less dangerous.

It depends what the plan is for them at WrestleMania. If it's The Shield vs Undertaker, Triple H and Ryback (which it's not, but anything huge like that), then they should win tonight to build them up for it. If at WrestleMania they're just in a tag team turmoil match or facing Kane and Bryan, or running interference for CM Punk, then they should lose tonight. Do you reckon tonight will be Ryback's big redemption and that'll be the end of him vs Shield?

• Paid Members
It depends what the plan is for them at WrestleMania. If it's The Shield vs Undertaker, Triple H and Ryback (which it's not, but anything huge like that), then they should win tonight to build them up for it. If at WrestleMania they're just in a tag team turmoil match or facing Kane and Bryan, or running interference for CM Punk, then they should lose tonight. Do you reckon tonight will be Ryback's big redemption and that'll be the end of him vs Shield?

I honestly don't know. As things stand, it's difficult to see where else they can go with it beyond Ryback getting his win over them and tonight would seem as good a time to do that as any other. I don't think it's ideal for them to lose any of their heat by losing a match just yet, but at the same time Ryback's fucked if he does another job in a big match.

I reckon it'd have been The Shield vs. Ryback, Randy Orton and Chris Jericho at Wrestlemania. I can see CM Punk and Kofi Kingston being added to each side. If that IS what the plan is, The Shield should be winning this, and then Ryback getting the big redemption at Wrestlemania. The fued has been going long enough that it'd make sense to go with that I reckon.

• Paid Members
I reckon it'd have been The Shield vs. Ryback, Randy Orton and Chris Jericho at Wrestlemania. I can see CM Punk and Kofi Kingston being added to each side. If that IS what the plan is, The Shield should be winning this, and then Ryback getting the big redemption at Wrestlemania. The fued has been going long enough that it'd make sense to go with that I reckon.

I wouldn't object to that, but CM Punk making up the numbers in an 8-man tag at Mania, for which he isn't even the focal point? I can't see that happening.

Plus, with those teams, that match would feel even less 'big time' than tonight's six-man, so it's pointless.

No Barratt on the card. His current gimmick is a complete bust. He'll be midcard all year at this rate.

Is it just me or does anyone think Ziggler will cash in the briefcase against the WWE title rather than the WHC. Yeah I know its supposed to be the latter but it wouldn't be surprising given how Vince likes to throw curve balls at the Universe. Just imagine Ziggy running in after Rock retains tonight. Would love to see this.

And where does Punk go after tonight, who does he get at Mania or is it burial time!

As for Ryback, I'd love to see him turn heel tonight and join the shield. He's going no where fast as a face especially on Raw and it will be a pointless exercise anyway when Cena gets the title back.(Though Cena doesn't need it).

Archived