The three handled moss covered family credenza

ShortOrderCook

Wonder where the Fishermans Suplex originated from?some lad with a fisherman gimmick presumably.

Used to know tonnes of odd move names thanks to the CAW moveset thing on the old Smackdown games,memory's gone to shite though!

The Fisherman's suplex resembles somebody casting out out on a fishing rod. The backward motion of casting out anyway. Or I'm talking complete horse-shit. I always prefered Raven's Evenflow DDT as opposed to the Raven Effect. I'm supposing he felt the need to update it though, considering the grunge movement had been dead for some time.

Interesting note on the origin of the name 'Even flow' It's generally acknowledged that Jake Roberts had some hand in training Raven or at least helping him along when he first started and this led to Raven adopting the DDT as a finisher. Even Flow is the name of a range of baby foods in the US (Along with the grunge connection) so since Raven saw himself as a 'baby' of Jake Roberts his DDT was the 'baby' version. Hence Even Flow DDT. - The more you know!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where did that come from? I just thought it was the Pearl Jam song.

That was told to me by Jake himself. Obviously with his reputation you can take that for what you will but personally I like that story enough to want to believe it. Plus after doing a tiny bit of research there really is an 'Even Flow' baby formula so the story does hold weight.

• Paid Members
The Moonlight Drive is a great name for a move; shame it's just a crappy neckbreaker used by John Morrison.

I have an irrational hatred of that name. I get The Doors connotations and that it fit with Morrison's character, but I always wanted them to call it the Moonlight DriveR

because it sounded more like a wrestling move and less like...well a Doors song.

Favorite name for a move is probably the Stone Cold Stunner. Rolls of the tongue and has the same alliterative qualities as Stone Cold Steve Austin does as a name. Think he says in his book Jim Ross came up with the name for that one.

I always thought RKO was a great name, because not only is it Randy's initials, it's a play on TKO, like 'Randy Knock Out'. That, plus the fact that it's short and catchy and fans can easily chant for it.

Another one is that at the moment of impact, both wrestlers bodies are in the same positions as when Marc Mero used to do his TKO finisher 5 years before Orton debuted in WWE.

The difference is that Mero started the move with the opponent on his shoulders before swinging him into position for what we now know as a RKO.

I don't know if people were using the TKO move before Mero did and if so whether it was called a TKO or not. I just assumed that was Mero's name for it because he was doing the golden-gloves boxer gimmick.

Attitude Adjustment is a terrible name for a wrestling move, it sounds like they had to come up with something new in about 10 minutes. The 'E can be really unimaginative with names these days. Prime Time Players feels like the first time a new tag team has been given a decent name in donkey's. London & Kendrick are probably the most successful tag team of the last ten years on paper, and the only cunts who knew they were supposed to be called the Wild Stallions were London & Kendrick themselves. We had to put up with the beyond shit 'Londrick' epithet on forums the whole time.

• Paid Members
What are some of your favourite move names and any move names that never stuck that you think should have?

Edge's old lifting DDT finisher he got from Gangrel (don't know why he was so determined to get rid of it in favour of the Running Hug Of Doom) - I hated the name "Edgecution", much preferred what it was briefly called: "The Buzz Killer". At the time, I thought I understood why they re-named it, as that was once the name of Syxx-Pac's chickenwing facelock finisher in wCw, but when you consider that WWE aren't really too fussed about re-using names long after they were used, it doesn't really make sense.

Also, I liked when Christian called his finish "The Impaler", hated it when he re-named it "The Unprettier". However, I do love the "Killswitch". Very cool.

I liked Angle calling his finish "The Olympic Slam" - "Angle Slam" rolls off better, but sounds a bit pony. I understand why he had to change it, of course. The actual finisher's a bit shite, though - it's just a version of the Samoan Drop, and doesn't look particularly impressive (except on one occasion when AJ Styles hit it on Angle).

I think The Tombstone is one of best named moves ever

Yus. One of the things I particularly like about it isn't just that the name fits the gimmick, it's also the fact that the opponent ends up positioned as if in a grave, and the executor is positioned as the "tombstone" at their head.

So, any names you're wondering where their name came from, names you know have a story behind them or a reference to something? What moves names are shit and what move names are cool as fuck?

"Starship Pain" is pretty cool. I agree with whoever said "Stone Cold Stunner", although I always found it slightly odd that he'd adopt it after dropping the "Stunning" moniker. "The Atom Smasher" (Adam Bomb's finisher) was a great name. I also preferred the "Scorpion Deathlock" to the "Sharpshooter" because it actually bent the opponent into the shape of a scorpion. Scott Steiner's version of the Flatliner was very cleverly (I thought) named "Novocaine".

"Burning Hammer" was excellent as well - fit Kobashi's gimmick to a tee. Move names that reflected wrestlers' trademark colours are nifty too - "Emerald Flowsion" (Misawa), "Ruby Flowsion" (Taue), "Orange Crush" (Kobashi), "Blue Thunder" (Akiyama). I know Kobashi and Akiyama haven't worn those colours in years, but they were good at the time.

The effect that names have on me is very odd: I used to abhor Big Show's punch finish, but now it's called the "WMD", I quite like it. Also didn't think much of John Morrison's springboard kick, but I've loved it ever since Cody named it the "Disaster Kick" (don't quite know why). And Wolf Hawkfield in AJPW (later known as "Jungle" Jim Steele) had as his finish the "Turbo Drop" - basically either a spinning powerslam or a spinning Outsider's/Razor's Edge depending on the version.

Indies often have decent names, even if the gimmick or move itself is rubbish. I liked Sterling James Keenan's (now Corey Graves in NXT) "MK Ultra" (named after the now infamous, legendary project the FBI supposedly set up to conducted experiments in mind control). Also, JC Thunder in his "Russian Nightmare" gimmick of Radik Anenko used a kneeling powerbomb finish simply called "The Nuclear Bomb".

Diamond cutter is the best, it's a cutter, he's diamond and diamond cutter means something. Razor's Edge is similarly cool.

Actually, that type of move is called a "cutter" because of DDP. The move name was so popular, people started calling all [wrestlenerd] three-quarter headlock neckbreakers [/wrestlenerd] "cutters". Prior to that, I don't think there are any examples of it being called a "cutter" - Johnny Ace/Laurinaitis, who's credited with inventing it, called it the "Ace Crusher".

• Paid Members

Some of the Indy guys have decent names but many of them are just plain shit though. I recall Mike Quackenbush (who I think is utter balls incidentally) being criminal at having 8 million named moves which no one apart from him will know. These are a few of his moves according to Wikipedia.

QD

• Paid Members
Diamond cutter is the best, it's a cutter, he's diamond and diamond cutter means something. Razor's Edge is similarly cool.

To link the two, I always liked "Diamond Death Drop" back when Razor was Diamond Studd.

I never got on with "Outsider's Edge", though. I can see why they went with it in that format, but I always thought "Outside Edge" was much more logical. I guess it's because I'm familiar with it as a cricket term, and I doubt many in the WCW front office were.

• Paid Members

I did like when James Tighe started combining Lex Luger's finisher with an airplane spin, almost certainly for the sole reason of calling it the Revolving Tighe Rack.

Danny Doring's arsenal of sex-related move names was pretty awful.

Attitude Adjustment is a terrible name for a wrestling move, it sounds like they had to come up with something new in about 10 minutes. The 'E can be really unimaginative with names these days. Prime Time Players feels like the first time a new tag team has been given a decent name in donkey's. London & Kendrick are probably the most successful tag team of the last ten years on paper, and the only cunts who knew they were supposed to be called the Wild Stallions were London & Kendrick themselves. We had to put up with the beyond shit 'Londrick' epithet on forums the whole time.

The Attitude Adjustment was the name given to Lex Luger's piledriver finisher for a while after his heel turn when he was managed by Harley Race and had the WCW Title. It sort of fit then, because I think he used to say that Race had given him an attitude adjustment. For Cena however, it sucks balls.

I remember seeing a WWE live event in Newcastle and Tony Chimmel introduced London and Kendrick as "The Hooligans". During the same show (i think) he introduced Jamie Noble as "The Redneck Messiah" Jamie Noble. Probably just house show ribs though.

One thing that pisses me off about names of moves is when they just name it after the wrestler themselves, ie Angle Slam, Vader Bomb etc. Just plain lazy.

• Paid Members
Talking of indy guys, i love the name of Chuck Taylor's hold-arm,-boot-to-face,-drop-down move; Sole Food. Quality stuff.

It's also Gail Kim's finish in TNA, which she calls "Eat DeFeet". Not bad - it's better than her old finisher, which she called the "Happy Ending". Boring and dodgy at the same time.

Moves that have superlative descriptions are quite cool, too: RVD's "Five-Star Frog Splash" and UK indie regular Rich N' Famous has the "Solid Gold Piledriver" (though I don't know if he still does it).

That said, I have a love-hate relationship with the "Best Moonsault Ever" - I initially hated it because it was just so typical and representative of Christopher Daniels' inability to "get it". The original name of "Ascent to Heaven" was great, and then, whilst still called "The Fallen Angel", he renamed it the BME. Now, I like it again, because he's finally properly dropped all the Fallen Angel bollocks and the move name now fits his gittish character.

Talking of indy guys, i love the name of Chuck Taylor's hold-arm,-boot-to-face,-drop-down move; Sole Food. Quality stuff.

I'm also a big fan of Super Dragon's Barry White Driver.

Joey Hayes heel persona sometimes does that move, he calls it the "Foot 'n' Mouth", a description of what happens and the thing its name after is nasty as well.

• Paid Members
I would have thought Sharpshooter was an easy one to guess, with him being "The Hitman" and "The Excellence of Execution". Unless he named the move before those?

He was both of those names years before his singles push and need to pick a decent finisher. Patterson suggested it to him backstage at the Las Vegas TV taping on 26/03/91.

From Bret's book (he, Vince and Patterson in a room)

Pat came in and interrupted us to tell me I had to come up with a name for my new finishing move. Between the three of us we tossed around different ideas until finally I threw out, ".... executioner, eliminator, sniper, sharpshooter..."

"That's it!" Vince cut me off smiling. "I like that! Sharpshooter!"

The king of "how did a move get it's name" stories comes from the Walls Of Jericho. Now, Chris got that name from Helloween's first album, but look at the list of potential names an unnamed writer suggested to Vince, as published in "Undisputed" :

The Millennium Crash

Jericho Shutdown

Turn of the Century

The Bender

Y2Korkscrew

Ball-Dropper

Cloverleaf 2000

Back to the Future

Apocalypse

Big Finish

Y-2-3

The Whammer Jammer

The J Factor

Y2J Blitz

Jeri-KO'-er

The Concluder

The Vanquisher

The Embarrasser! (that move is pretty degrading!)

Double Leg Vine of Torment

Figure Y2J Leglock

Millennium Buster

Y2J Catastrophe

Jerichonium of Pain

Lion Clutch Press

The Party favor

Eve of Destruction

Millennium Melt Down

Twist of fate

The Savior Screw

The heroes welcome

Rock and Roller

Some of those read as though they don't even know what Chris' move is, notably the Jeri-KO'-er and Y-2-3.

Here are other names Chris himself contemplated : Humiliator, Buyrate, Final Countdown, Apocalypse Now, Time's Up, Time Killer, Killing Time, Crash Course, Symbol Of Salvation, End Time, End of Time, End of The Age, Doomsday Device (really??), Power Slave, SaviourSelf, No Escape, Jericoil.

My own favourite names of moves are ones that tie in with the name or gimmick of the wrestler performing them but without sounding too daft. Hart Attack, PowerPlex, Jacknife, Razor's Edge, Rock Bottom, Styles Clash, Cop Killer, British Airways, Tower of London, that sort of thing.

Ones I dislike are Sweet Chin Music just because I think it just sounds terrible - I still don't really understand what it's supposed to mean, I just remember Shawn saying "a little chin music, and he was out" over a replay of him hitting Diesel with it, and it stuck as a name after he turned baby. And any terrible name where they can't think of anything so just put their name next the move name. DR Driver, Rikishi Driver, Angle Slam - boring and generic. Although I don't mind "Angle Lock" as a play on words on "ankle lock."

Archived