The three handled moss covered family credenza

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

There's a bit of discussion going on in the Questions thread stemming from somebody curious on the origins of a number of wrestling moves popularised in Japan. I've enjoyed reading the answers and learning something and i think it's a subject that could be interesting expanding on and thread-worthy. I love interesting cool move names that may have a bit of a story, background or reference behind them.

The one in the thread title is something i may have wrong (i only used it to have a more interesting thread title then the sub-title), i believe was originally a joke move name from Chris Jerichos list of 1004 moves from that famous Nitro segment in his feud with Dean Malenko and is a reference from 'Cat in the Hat'. Later on, Paul Heyman (i think) used it as the title for Perry Saturns swinging Fishermans Suplex finisher, although i think it got used for something else briefly too. If i'm wrong on any of that feel free to correct me.

Sliced Bread #2, Cattle Mutilation, Sharpshooter, Texas Cloverleaf where did all these originate from? Is there any reason behind the names?

What are some of your favourite move names and any move names that never stuck that you think should have? I think The Tombstone is one of best named moves ever, however i'm not a fan of the name Hells Gate mainly because J.R originally dubbed it The Death Valley Vice and i loved that and thought it was a badass name. The Last Ride was a nifty name too. F5 i like too and i didn't mind FU being a take off from that and like the idea of moves with that set-up all having similar names. When the name got changed though i really think he should have gone with The Throwback which is what his blockbuster type move he used to use was once called i think, thought that suited it perfectly really.

So, any names you're wondering where their name came from, names you know have a story behind them or a reference to something? What moves names are shit and what move names are cool as fuck?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
The one in the thread title is something i may have wrong

It's credenza, SOC - a cabinet.

I can't think of anything at the moment, other than for years my mate thought that the Pedigree was the Canterbury. RKO's a pretty stupid name, when you think about it; it's Orton's initials.

Wonder where the Fishermans Suplex originated from?some lad with a fisherman gimmick presumably.

Used to know tonnes of odd move names thanks to the CAW moveset thing on the old Smackdown games,memory's gone to shite though!

Wonder where the Fishermans Suplex originated from?some lad with a fisherman gimmick presumably.

Used to know tonnes of odd move names thanks to the CAW moveset thing on the old Smackdown games,memory's gone to shite though!

The Fisherman's suplex resembles somebody casting out out on a fishing rod. The backward motion of casting out anyway. Or I'm talking complete horse-shit. I always prefered Raven's Evenflow DDT as opposed to the Raven Effect. I'm supposing he felt the need to update it though, considering the grunge movement had been dead for some time.

• Paid Members

I always thought it was credenza myself, but when searching for it gredunza seemed to be the more common thought.

If that's the reason behind Sliced Beard #2 that's pretty weak.

Yeah, i wasn't much keen on RKO at first either, it's a grower though. Diamond Cutter is just a majestic name though.

• Paid Members

The Fisherman's suplex resembles somebody casting out out on a fishing rod. The backward motion of casting out anyway. Orr I'm talking complete horse-shit.

I always thought it was simply down to the hooking of the leg...

• Paid Members

RKO is/was also the name of a major movie studio in the US, which produced King Kong and Citizen Kane.

Sharpshooter was just a rebrand of an existing move, the name being designed to fit Bret Hart's "Hitman" nickname.

Cattle Mutilation is a US term for cows dying in mysterious circumstances, for example with all the blood and organs removed but no major wounds or holes -- it's a bit of a cult/conspiracy thing, so the phrase is along the lines of "crop circles" over here.

Cloverleaf is an American term for a particular road layout where you get two major roads crossing and then a circular slip road in each of the four corners, the name coming because it looks like a four leaf clover. The wrestling move is presumably because you cross over the guys legs. The Texas comes because Dory Funk Jr popularised the move.

• Paid Members

I would have thought Sharpshooter was an easy one to guess, with him being "The Hitman" and "The Excellence of Execution". Unless he named the move before those?

I always assumed Texas Cloverleaf was because the legs looked a bit like a four leaf clover, too. I never had a clue about the roads.

Might be a dumb question, but what's the origin behind the "Full Nelson" and "Half Nelson", etc. What's a "Nelson"?

• Paid Members

Nobody seems certain, though you get a lot of theories that it's something to do with Horatio Nelson. Obvious problem with that is that it would have been tricky to put him in a full nelson.

There are some stories its to do with a wrestler called Bobby Nelson who died about 10 years ago and supposedly invented it, but the name was in use at least 40 years before he was born (and the move probably goes back thousands of years.)

Another theory is it might be to do with Nelson the town in Lancashire.

The Razor's Edge & The Gore are two of my favorite names. Got a softspot for Jacknife Powerbomb too.

Anyone else think that the Piledriver was called a Powerdriver when you were a kid or was that just me? :)

Archived