RevPro Presents: HIGH STAKES:CABANA VS SAMUELS 31/03/13, Sittingbourne

Andy

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Project Ego retained their tag titles against The Hangovers in another match that took a while to get going but then turned into something good. The highlight of the match was the interaction between Project Ego, who never fail to entertain and amuse. We were then told that Ego will go on to York Hall as champions, so possibly no match for them at the next show.

I thought Ego lost the titles on the IPW UK sow the night before? :confused:

When the IPW:UK/Rev Pro split happened both promotions continued with the current champions, with Rev Pro creating new titles for the Champions. So Sha Samuels was the IPW:UK champion and the Rev Pro Champion. Project Ego did the same with the tag titles.

Now the titles are starting to change hands so that the promotions don't have the same champions.

Rev Pro British Heavyweight Champion: Colt Cabana

Rev Pro Tag Team Champions: Project Ego

Rev Pro Cruiserweight Champion: Prince Devitt

IPW:UK World Champion: Sha Samuels

IPW:UK Tag Team Champions: The Wildcats

IPW:UK All England Champion: Sha Samuels

Sounds like a good show. Definitely going to be at May for Zack/MK II as I feel they could definitely better their first match. Scurll's heel turn is an interesting one, but with Zack already in a match, who do you have him face in May? Haskins definitely should be in line for a singles match against Devitt but the next show falls during the BOSJ. I would've thought a rematch with Ligero would be on the cards, but I'm hoping he gets Del Sol personally. With Zack/MK already booked and Scurll set to face Del Sol the day before, I hope we get Haskins/Del Sol as I feel either him or Ligero would be the best choice. But I don't know where that would leave Marty, Ligero, Ospreay, etc. Mastiff/Brown seems like a lock for the next show, although what happened with Big Van Walter? And with Cabana as Champ, providing he's back in May, who does he face? A rematch with Sha? Same for Project Ego as right now there are no viable contenders so again RPW may have to bring in an outside team. I wouldn't mind seeing The Bhangra Knights.

Project Ego retained their tag titles against The Hangovers in another match that took a while to get going but then turned into something good. The highlight of the match was the interaction between Project Ego, who never fail to entertain and amuse. We were then told that Ego will go on to York Hall as champions, so possibly no match for them at the next show.

I thought Ego lost the titles on the IPW UK sow the night before? :confused:

When the IPW:UK/Rev Pro split happened both promotions continued with the current champions, with Rev Pro creating new titles for the Champions. So Sha Samuels was the IPW:UK champion and the Rev Pro Champion. Project Ego did the same with the tag titles.

Now the titles are starting to change hands so that the promotions don't have the same champions.

Thanks, its all much clearer now

• Paid Members
Next up was my match of the night, as Devitt defeated Zack and Marty in a great little match. It didn't go as long as I'd hoped, but it was really good for what it was. Devitt pinned Marty, who refused to shake his hand after the match. Zack told him to shake his hand, but instead Marty kicked him in the balls and walked off. Just before this, Devitt had put both guys over on the mic and requested that his match against Jushin Liger be for the Cruiserweight Championship.

He kicked Devitt? Or Zack?

Next up was my match of the night, as Devitt defeated Zack and Marty in a great little match. It didn't go as long as I'd hoped, but it was really good for what it was. Devitt pinned Marty, who refused to shake his hand after the match. Zack told him to shake his hand, but instead Marty kicked him in the balls and walked off. Just before this, Devitt had put both guys over on the mic and requested that his match against Jushin Liger be for the Cruiserweight Championship.

He kicked Devitt

• Paid Members

He kicked Devitt

Cool, thanks. That makes things interesting - the LDRS still a team, but Marty starting to show signs of being the more arrogant, disrespectful member which will surely cause increasing slow-burn tension between the pair as we head further and further down the road.

Similarly, the long-running, increasingly-less-subtle split of The Kartel was one of the best stories RevPro (then still part of IPW:UK) ever told since the Orpington days.

The atmosphere for the main event was the best I've ever seen in sittingbourne.

Colts name was being chanted from the moment the ring announcer got in the ring after the previous match and pretty much didnt stop from there.

The place exploded when he finally did win, kids jumped in the ring and everyone went mental.

A goosebumps moment.

More random thoughts (and some fictionalised imaginings) regarding last Sunday’s show from “Old David”. Nothing substantial has been posted so far from our other usual regular contributors so this strange slightly unhinged review may well be all you are going to get.

It was supposed to be springtime but it felt more like mid-winter as we arrived shivering in Sittingbourne on 31st March for another show from Revolution Pro Wrestling. The doors opened pretty much on time and a good sized crowd soon filled the compact venue. It was reassuring to see a decent crowd once again despite the freezing weather and the knowledge of other quality shows were also taking place today.

As Andy Quilden and referee Chris Roberts entered the ring one thing was immediately apparent to everyone; the “New Sound System” was up and running, as promised! All evening everything was loud and crystal clear; well done to all at RPW! :thumbsup:

After a fine opening match the much heavier Rampage Brown defeated the popular Dean Allmark, much to the displeasure of a very noisy crowd, who were in full voice throughout, chanting “Deano – Deano – Deano”. Allmark is very popular here and personally I would like to see him getting a serious run at the cruiserweight title. The prospect of Deano trading moves with the likes of Zack Sabre, Marty Scurll, Mark Haskins, Prince Devitt, and others is quite mouth-watering. Outstanding as this “opener” was, these two men are both worth more important places on the RPW roster. Rampage Brown is already one of Britain’s most impressive young heavyweights, a man capable of giving a good account of himself against any heavyweight you could name, and as you will read later on, he may well be already destined for greater things!

In the second event Mark Haskins had to settle for yet another “Cruiserweight Contenders” match; and he made his displeasure at this very clear to promoter Andy Quilden before the start. He pointed out that once again he had been “ignored” whilst Andy’s favourite “blue-eyed boys” (an obvious reference to the Leaders) were given the title shot; when was he going to get his chance? “We’ll see what happens today” was Andy’s rather muted response!

His match with young Will Ospreay was full of excellent highflying stuff, with young Ospreay on the back foot from the aggressive and more experienced Haskins for much of the time. A quality contest was spoiled for me by Haskins revolting use of toilet roll (after using it to wipe his nose), and also a weak “run-in” to assist Haskins by somebody wearing an El Ligero mask.

Nevertheless with another victory notched up I’m sure RPW will soon have to give the “Main Attraction” the title match he undoubtedly deserves.

The 3-way Cruiserweight Title Contest in which Prince Devitt successfully defended his belt against the combined forces of “Leaders” Marty Scurll and Zack Sabre Jr was full of fine wrestling from all three men. However watching the Leaders competing with one another was (at times) a disconcerting sight for us Sittingbourne regulars. Devitt retained the title when he pinned Marty Scurll, and it looked like “handshakes all round”, then suddenly Marty turned and without warning he attacked the champion. He then stormed off in a temper leaving Zack astonished, angry and rather confused.

A change of attitude from Marty may be a good idea right now, and it will certainly add even more excitement to an already thrilling cruiserweight division. The Leaders are part of a glorious Sittingbourne wrestling history, but their era is now in the past. Recently the strutting “Party Marty” has become less and less beloved by the fans; and we all remember the cheers for the once hated “Rockstar Spud” at the previous event here, with plenty of boos for our “Party Marty”. Marty Scurll has enjoyed giving wrestling fans an entertaining pantomime villain before; so perhaps cocky Party Marty could be set to turn nasty and upset his once loyal supporters.

Was this just a moment of madness or the beginning of a serious heel turn, only time will tell?

On a show of this quality one or two matches often get “lost in the shuffle”, and for me that was very much the case with Dave Mastiff v Andy Simmonz. It was a thoroughly decent heavyweight clash but nothing special, and at Sittingbourne to be remembered “special” is required.

The match was just getting out of second gear with Mastiff beginning to dominate, when Rampage Brown invaded and helped Simmonz to give Big Dave a good working over. With Mastiff prone in the ring (the winner by a disqualification) Simmonz grabbed the microphone and promised the angry crowd that (with him as mentor) Rampage Brown will be a future heavyweight champion. Dave recovered and the evil pair fled to the dressing room, presumably setting up a future confrontation between Brown and Mastiff; assuming of course that Big Van Walter has now been forgotten?

Project Ego successfully retained their tag titles against the Irish team of “The Hangovers”. An excellent match but nothing particularly memorable about it, plenty of quality wrestling, but perhaps too much “synchronised 4 man acrobatics” for me. However that style of “wrestling” is very popular today, so what do I know?

As they have become more popular and started to look unbeatable Project Ego seem to have lost some of the fizz and the excitement that came with their earlier appearances here. It must be time for our promoter to find them some serious opposition; a team guaranteed to frighten even “Mother Ego”. Since my suggestion of Rampage Brown & T-Bone obviously fell on stony ground (a different plan is obviously in place for the impressive Rampage) it is down to Andy Quilden to tempt us with something exciting. We know that Project Ego are at their most entertaining when they are really scared; so over to you Andy!

All that was left now was tonight’s main event with Colt Cabana challenging Sha Samuels for the RPW Heavyweight Championship. Cabana had promised that if he failed to win the title he would never wrestle on Britain again. Well his fans will be relieved to hear that Colt Cabana did win, and to the delight of everyone is the brand new RPW Heavyweight Champion. The seemingly never-ending reign of Sha Samuels is over!

As a “wrestling match” this was OK, but for drama, plot twists and turns, and sheer entertainment and excitement, it was pure joy. The crowd reaction when Colt Cabana finally gained the submission victory was beyond ecstatic; “spurs 4 life” is right when he described this as a genuine “goosebumps moment”. They are very rare in British wrestling, and are something to cherish and remember. Several people asked me about the match afterwards, knowing presumably that I am normally not a fan of this sort of contest. I happily described it to them as "A thoroughly enjoyable and perfectly judged Action Movie”, along with the requisite happy ending. Thinking about it now, with the benefit of a few days reflection, it was actually much more than that; and so was the regularly criticised (by me) title reign of Sha Samuels.

Sha Samuels long reign as Heavyweight Champion, and his eventual fall, can easily be seen as a wrestling equivalent of a great “Shakespearean Tragedy”!

Thinking back, we remember popular Sha Samuels, member of IPW’s favourite team “The Cartel”. He was an important member of this elite group, and along with his friends and comrades he was loved and admired by fans wherever he went. However because of his ambition, jealousy, and desire for individual fame and status he deserted them all. He betrayed their trust and friendship, all because of his need to wear championship gold. All that was missing on Sunday was a ghostly appearance by “Banquo” Frazier, to put the final frighteners on him.

Because of this arrogance and treachery all his friends and allies were gone, some even crossing a wide ocean simply to get away from him, and he was now all alone facing an unexpected “American challenge” for his title. Perhaps he was now worried by that reassuring prediction made to him long ago by the old Eastender witch “Mother Dot”. A quote that had reassured him every time he wrestled, up until now that is, “Fear not young Sha, because no man that’s born of British woman shall ever have power upon thee.” How had he been tricked into wrestling “an American”?

Not to worry, because he still had one ally left; somebody whom he could trust absolutely; someone who would not to let him down. Referee Chris Roberts could always be relied upon to call it “strictly by the book” as he had done so many times in the past. Sha knew that a disqualification or count-out verdict could once again be used to ensure he retained that precious crown. It was bound to work, after all was it not at tactic he had used many times before? Well Chris Roberts let him down, and let him down badly; yes we all love you Chris! First Sha blatantly punched Roberts in an attempt to get himself disqualified, but to his horror even Chris Roberts had had enough. He simply refused to disqualify him. In desperation Sha then marched out and refused to return. Chris Roberts began the 10 count, but at the request of Colt Cabana he stopped the count! He allowed Cabana to go backstage and drag a protesting Samuels back to the ring. The match would go on! A desperate but predictable “belt shot” also failed to pin the American, and by now the tide had turned as Cabana dominated the match. The noise became intense as at long last he gained the winning submission, with his unique reverse boston crab submission move.

I have seldom seen or heard so much sheer joy at a wrestling show, it truly was a wonderful moment for those of us lucky enough to be there. A night I certainly won’t forget and a lot of credit for that pleasure must (reluctantly) go to Sha Samuels who has proved (in hindsight) to have been a genuinely memorable champion.

A champion whose catastrophic “fall from grace” was pure Shakespearean tragedy, well in my vivid imagination anyway!

Another top class Sittingbourne event, and at last the fans here have a champion to admire, cheer and applaud. Hopefully by the time they return on May 26th, “springtime” will finally have arrived!

Archived