The older i get

whereisshenmue3

I'm into listening to it at the minute.I think for me, it's a combination of there being masses of stuff to watch and less time than ever to watch it in. I can listen to Raw recaps on the run, but have no time or inclination to watch the shows.

I find myself preferring to read about wrestling than actually watching it.

Have I lost the love?

Me too. I'm 28 and only enjoy attending live events now - and even then WWE doesn't really do it for me anymore.

It's a combination of the fact that most of the stars of my childhood are now gone (from WWE especially) and my interests now being more varied - I wouldn't have found myself preferring to watch documentary films or read history books than watch wrestling on TV ten years ago!

But I still get a kick out of reading FSM and Powerslam on the way to work.

I reckon I'll not lose interest completely for another while - I kinda hope that if I have a kid in the next few years who gets into it, I'll be able to tag along and not always have to think 'am I getting to old for this?'. :-)

• Paid Members

I'm with you lot.

I tend to watch Impact on a Sunday night or at some other point during the week on Youtube, but otherwise just watch/listen to Shoot Interviews while playing Football Manager on the PC.

I have much more interest in watching documentaries or reading autobiographies than the actual 'Wrestling' nowadays. I can't be doing with the current WWE stuff at all.

Couldn't agree more. I subscribe to Sky so that I can fast forward through Raw, Smackdown and iMpact and watch each episode in about 20 mins. I do try and sit through the WWE and TNA PPV's in full though. The only wrestling I really enjoy these days are the New Japan PPV's.

I have over 500 wresting dvds and rarely watch them. Many are still in their plastic seals!

When it comes to reading the Observer, Power Slam and FSM though, I gobble them all up. And I always have a F4W/WO radio show on the iPhone in the car each morning.

I have similar feelings about both wrestling and music, but then think "hang on, I'm still listening to as much music and watching as much wrestling" - it's just that hardly any of it is from 2013. The advance of the Internet is that I can listen to, or watch, so much great stuff that it's a no-brainer to choose that over, say, a three-hour RAW full of shite.

I mean, right now on YouTube, I could watch an hour-long Japanese women's match, a load of old WoS, some of Danielson and Punk's ROH matches... or I could watch The Great Khali and Hornswoggle in a tag team.

As with others here, I still read Powerslam, the Torch and 411 all the time though. But then, as a kid, I didn't have Sky, watching wrestling via rentals and/or borrowing taped PPVs from friends, so I've always followed it in a sort of eccentric, behind-the-times way.

I thought it was just me!

I read about and listen to wrestling including podcasts, shoot interviews and anything else I get my hands on.

I put it down to a combination of losing the ability to suspend disbelief for an extended period of time (3+hours three times a week) and realising it is a 'work' and having more interest in the politics and creative process than the actual performance.

I find much more entertainment in watching older wrestling (PPVs and '5* matches' of the 80s -2000s) and reliving the memories or watching hard hitting Noah / ROH or events I have been to (again, NOAH UK tours, ROH, Dragon Gate UK)

This might be why I cancelled sky sports and realised I am not missing WWE but enjoy discovering matches on YouTube from a range of historical periods and promotions.

I think that with age comes responsibility and I have responsibilities like work, family and other hobbies to squeeze into a day and also I can't be bothered to endure something when I can make an educated / informed guess about what i like to watch.

• Paid Members

yeh i feel you. Ill always be fascinated by the business and i love watching any kind of documentary style piece and ill read stuff all day but my watching actual wrestling matches is abit sparse. Im still a fan, just in a different way.

Same with music and film, ill read anything related to the topic but i dont neccesarily watch or listen too what im reading about.

Im just abit of an infomation junkie when it comes to things im interested in.

I'm with you lot.

I tend to watch Impact on a Sunday night or at some other point during the week on Youtube, but otherwise just watch/listen to Shoot Interviews while playing Football Manager on the PC.

I have much more interest in watching documentaries or reading autobiographies than the actual 'Wrestling' nowadays. I can't be doing with the current WWE stuff at all.

That's pretty much what I do these days. I've tried to completely get away from it when my computer was buggered for a bit last year but I just came running back after a couple of months. I don't know why I just can't seem to kick the habit of following it. I seem to spend most of my evenings on the computer watching shoots, old videos and keeping up to date with what's happening in the whacky world of pro wrestling. Surely there's better things I could be doing with my time like tiling the fucking bathroom or something.

• Paid Members

I've been this way for a while now. Loving the behind the scenes stuff like the AOW podcast, but not really watching much new stuff at all. In fact the only WWE stuff I have watched in the last 6 months was thr Royal Rumble. Just waiting for something to grab me again.

• Paid Members

I've been the same for years, though mine seems to be limited to actual matches. I still make sure I watch most of the angles and the big moments but don't always watch the matches. Strange thing is that this is the polar opposite to me ten years ago- I'd watch match after match and gave no shit about anything that wasn't a match, usually.

I don't dislike watching matches at all, I just can't be bothered to watch all the matches for some reason. In fact, when i actually force myself to watch a load of matches (for example, if I order a PPV and stay up for it), I'll really enjoy them. I'll read about wrestling on here all day long if I could. It's a bloody curse because i spoil things for myself and i know I'll enjoy watching more matches.

• Paid Members

Interesting discussion. Last few posts making me realise I do much of the same. I love wrestling, when it's done right it's just fucking magical and there's few things I'll enjoy so much. I'm fascinated by many aspects of it and I love reading about it , writing about it, watching old stuff, watching promos and love hearing about the inner workings. I love delving into all of that behind the scenes and booking process' of it. And I am fascinated by the really great wrestlers. They're real life fucking super heroes.

But in saying all that, generally when I watch today I will always be doing something else at the same time. Sometimes something grabs me enough that it gets my full attention and if I'm staying up to watch a PPV that will, but I don't actually often do that now either.

Archived