Trust Me

garynysmon

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One way of looking at it is the Attitude Era was the worst thing that could have happened to Wrestling, long term.

It's the period of wrestling that's aged worst as well for my money.

This 100 %

Compare that era to 90/92 WCW for example and i know which i could watch without cringing (well not too much)

Depends how old you are and what period of wrestling resonated with you during your youth, to be honest.

I liken it to music - some grew up in the 70s and love 70s music, ditto 80s, ditto 90s. Each group might say 'their music' was better/more worthwhile then the others, but in reality, it's like comparing apples and oranges. What works at the time is of its' time. Would it work now? Obviously not. Does that make it bad now? No, because it worked back then. Who's to say whatever wrestling is in 2023 won't be totally different to what we have now - will that make what we have now 'not very good'? No, because what we have now in this era works (to an extent).

Personally, I loved the Attitude era and still do. It was what I watched in my late teens, it was cool, it was what my friends at college watched, it's what we did road trips to the other ends of the country to see. The characters were great, the music was great, the storylines were great. Yeah, there was some dumb shit, the transvestite with Mark Henry, Mae Young bearing her breasts, the Hos, the miscarriage/woman beating storylines, etc. But equally there was a lot of stuff that was great and memorable and drew millions and millions of dollars, making WWE what it is today. If the Attitude era had never happened, business-wise, WWE might not even exist nowadays.

• Paid Members

It's a very interesting discussion but I think ClassicsGuy has pretty much nailed it for me there, 'of it's time' being the key phrase. I think Butch is right too, because the Attitude era has aged horribly, but that doesn't mean that it holds less historical value.

It's almost impossible to predict what might have happened to the company if the Monday Night Wars never kicked off. For all the problems that the business suffers as a result of it today, it would probably be in far worse shape if it had never happened at all.

Jake was great and i loved him as a baddie. But i was watching that warrior segment on superstars, or i think it was actually shown friday night on challenge first and as a youngster at the time and i genuinally didnt know jake was turning bad. He had done a few bits in the build up if i remember that i thought were a bit bad guyish. But as a turn i think it was poor. His tenure as a baddie overall from then on is one of the best ever mind.

With regard to the attitude era i do not think it has aged worse or better in any other age in wrestling history. Personally for me it produced some of the best segments, ints, charachters and matches in wrestling history.

I don't think the business has suffered from the attitude era either. What i think it has suffered from is lack of decent competition and comfort zone booking.

• Paid Members
'Well I spoke to God this morning and he said he doesn't like you'. - A line from another Jake promo but I'm buggered if I remember which one.

Is the post-match promo the brilliant 'I'm the snake all along' promo?

I dont remember many moves in his moveset.

As if that fucking matters.

It's not even necessary how well or badly the Attitude era's aged that's the main issue, it's the legacy it left behind. Generally i'd say it's been mostly negative, and personally, things would be better today if the attitude era, or more specifically, what characterised it - "crash tv", never existed. How it would have effected business is another matter.

No more patient build up, anticipation, or "less is more" which was always a sound philosophy in terms of fun, investment, and being able to digest what was going on, not to mention wear and tear on the wrestlers. From whole shows to matches, feuds, skits, turns, angles etc. They just threw everything at us - 100mph, FF all the way. The novelty of it was obviously good for business, but it also served to dilute the impact of everything that came afterwards.

What does he mean by 'moveset'? I take it he's talking about a video game or something?

Trying too hard.

I don't think there's any doubt that the Attitude era has made the WWE all broken and that. The problem lies in the fact that their competitions dead and they're comfortable enough business wise to ever hit the reset button.

A couple of remnants from the era that I despise and could be dropped relatively easily are the in ring 20+ promo and the Authority Figure. Not even Punk or Cena can make chatting that much shit every week engaging. And well. . . . . whatever, its all OT. And footys on. Someone make a new thread.

• Paid Members

I think despite us being 10 years removed from it, this time period will be looked at as the 'Attitude hangover'. The only way out of it is to re-educate the audience, which will probably mean some will drop off - but so be it.

It's crazy to think that everyone used to laugh at the old timers who disagreed with 'Crash TV', but in the main they were probably right.

I don't think a character like Jake Robers would have gotten over, to such lengths anyway, after 1998 or so. There's a reason why some of those clips and moments are so vivid for me and others in this thread. On a Raw episode in 1999' it wold just have been one segment in many. Remember when the Undertaker kidnapped Stephanie?

Archived