UFC 157: 'Rousey vs Carmouche'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This should be an epic fight card. Of the lighter weight classes, I think the women's division may have the greatest finishing rate of them with Rousey at the helm, the lady is a killer. She's one of those fighters that seems to have that aura of really being dangerous. As for the issue of why the division is 135, I thought it was just a simple matter of transferring the existing division from Strikeforce? Crazy to think that it's being done to keep Cyborg away from Rousey, it's by far the biggest, most lucrative fight in women's MMA.

Hendo vs. Machida has the potential to be a classic, unlike many I like the fact that it's 3 rounds, means we're likely to see intense action all throughout the fight without the ugly spectre of gassing. As epic as Shogun/Hendo was, the 5th round especially is probably the biggest example of top level fighters completely blowing their wad and having nothing left to give.

The rest of the card looks tidy, be nice to see Faber and his sister fight. Add the likes of Mendes, Koscheck, Johnson, Schaub and Stout and we have a good night of fights in store. This will also be the first UFC event I won't be watching live in well over a year, I'm going to the Soundwave music festival to see Metallica and Linkin Park. Better avoid the Internet like the plague until I see an encore presentation :p

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Truth be told, if Rousey looked like her opponent she probably wouldn't be getting the golden girl treatment. She's being pushed because she has a pretty face, blonde hair and a decent rack, simple as that. She's a tool to get the UFC onto mainstream magazine covers and the like.

If this was wrestling we're talking about, I'd agree - but wand has just said she's undefeated in her amateur and pro MMA careers, is the first American woman to medal in Olympic judo, and has beaten all her opponents with the ARMBAR in the first round of all her matches, and only one of her opponents has she not beaten within the first minute. It can't clearly be just about her looks, surely? I daresay they are the reason Dana's started a women's division at all, but surely it's a case of him thinking "Right, we've got, for the first time, a woman who's not only good, but marketable too"?

Genuine question: is it possible that all her opponents have been tin cans thus far?

This will also be the first UFC event I won't be watching live in well over a year, I'm going to the Soundwave music festival to see Metallica and Linkin Park. Better avoid the Internet like the plague until I see an encore presentation :p

You lucky bastard seeing Metallica. Enjoy it mate.

The Flyweight and Women's Bantamweight UFC divisions are small but I'm more interested in the latter with women fighting in the Octagon for the first time ever. Hopefully with time, both divisions will improve and get stronger. I really preferred how things were with Featherweight and Bantamweight as the lowest men's weight class. Bantamweight has taken a hit with people dropping down to Flyweight and Flyweight is a weak division.

• Paid Members
Genuine question: is it possible that all her opponents have been tin cans thus far?

Nope, she beat Kaufman and Tate in her last two fight who are roundly seen as probably 2 & 3 in the division. It aint like.Carmouche is a fucking can either, shes a powerhouse little fighter who gave Marlos Coenen fits for 4 rounds in their fight. Shes being massively overlooked in this fight.

Kaufman and Tate are not cans. Budd is pretty one dimensional, but I'd say she was tailor made as an opponent for Rousey. Don't know enough about Rousey's other three 'victims'.

*edit* Just to add something to what Ebb said, Carmouche was dominating and winning the fight against Coenen until getting caught in a triangle early in the fourth. This girl is no joke either.

• Paid Members

Thanks for that, Ebb.

So basically, Rousey is in proportional terms probably the most marketable fighter for UFC ever, being a perfect combination of looks and ability?

EDIT: And thanks, Milano.

• Paid Members
Thanks for that, Ebb.

So basically, Rousey is in proportional terms probably the most marketable fighter for UFC ever, being a perfect combination of looks and ability?

In the US, certainly. Obviously, the UFC is trying to become a Global brand, and fighters like Silva and GSP are huge in their 'home' markets.

• Paid Members

Just wanted to say ,(as many already have), that whilst I love MMA , in particular UFC, I am not as big a follower as i'd like to be. Having said that I always read these threads for Wand's awesome and hilarious write ups on the shows.

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

I read the comments underneath the article someone posted that Meltzer wrote, the one that Dana got angry at about the women's fight not being likely to draw. There are some proper cunts on there, talking about how it won't be interesting and that they'll probably switch off right before. Rousey sounds like a great asset for UFC, so I hope the PPV does good numbers. From what I've seen so far, MMA harcore fans are a bigger bunch of turds than RoHbots.

Henderson and Machida is the main event of this PPV for me, and I couldn't really give a fuck who wins the female bout (I'll watch it if I have time, but it's not a must-see for me). Until they develop a proper 140lbs division which will see the majority of decent female MMA talent able to compete fairly then I have no interest. This 135lbs deal has been done blatantly to keep Cyborg out of the picture. When you're picking weight limits in order to keep the most dominant female MMA fighter in history out of the equation the situation is a farce.

Truth be told, if Rousey looked like her opponent she probably wouldn't be getting the golden girl treatment. She's being pushed because she has a pretty face, blonde hair and a decent rack, simple as that. She's a tool to get the UFC onto mainstream magazine covers and the like.

I'm investing no time or effort into the division because I know as soon as she loses, it'll all disappear quick sharpish, so what's the point?

EDIT: In fact Wand, can you edit your poll and add a "who gives a fuck?" option to the main event choices? ;)

But Dave, doesn't hold any stock with you that Cyborg was gassed off her tits when she was dominating? Thats why i dont fully agree.with what your saying. If Cyborg was proven clean and they did this i'd be questioning the decision, but she didn't. It's Cyborg's fault.

I don't usually agree with a lot of what David says regarding MMA however on this occasion as exaggerated as his point is, I do agree.

The UFC has no interest in women's MMA whatsoever, they have an interest in money, success and free publicity. Ronda is a moderately attractive woman at best however when put in the class of women's MMA fighters she looks way more attractive than she is due to the unattractiveness of a large percentage of them and that creates attention because people don't expect to see attractive girls fighting.

Now fair enough looks alone aren't going to do it, she's less attractive than say Gina Carano and no more attractive than say Miesha Tate so you need to have a good story and a gimmick to really ride the hype train...both of which she has.

UFC have created a weight class and handed Rousey a title so they had no intention whatsoever of then having her fight Cyborg, or even someone like Coenen.

I think that writing Cyborg's achievements off due to (alleged) steroid use is hugely unfair as well, espescially when a very large percentage of UFC fighters have used or do use numerous PED's. Cyborg's main issue wasn't that she allegedly used steroids, it's that she was stupid enough to mis-time her cycles and get caught.

• Paid Members

I just watched the Primetime and well...

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

That last 5/10 minutes hit me where I live. Incredibly moving stuff. The first half I spent the time wondering where Rousey gets her insane drive to not only compete but train at such a level, it was emphatically answered in the second half.

If you are going to watch this make sure you follow it with a few hours of Tracy Morgan.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Seriously Wand, add a "not interested" option to that main event and lets see what kind reaction it gets.

It will not attract much I guess. People seem interested for the most part.

Regardless of the long term prospects of the women's division. Rousey is a hot ticket right now and is gaining a lot of mainstream attention. Casual fans care just as much about her as they do Aldo, Edgar, Barao or Mighty Mouse.

If you watch the Primetime show, she shows a more expressive side of her than any of the guys I mentioned above . People can relate to emotion and expression.

Rousey has beaten some of the top talent available in her weight class, whilst its true it is a shallow weight class , the way she has beaten the talent in front of her is very special. The Tate and Kaufman fights were scary.

Yes, her looks are one of the main reason she is popular. But, I really could not care less personally. Its a shallow world. Much like with the Brock's run, it may not last long but I am going to enjoy Rouseymania whilst it lasts.

Archived