Oscar Predictions and Discussion 2013

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

I still need to see Zero Dark Thirty. Lamby, would you say it's essential to see in the cinema or can I hang on and watch it on a TV?

Got to disagree on Brave, though. It may be me being a blinkered Pixar fanboy but I loved it. I'm sure I'd have loved Ralph if I'd seen it as well, and would have been happy with either winning. It's a John Lasseter win either way, so all power to the Mouse.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I still need to see Zero Dark Thirty. Lamby, would you say it's essential to see in the cinema or can I hang on and watch it on a TV?

Got to disagree on Brave, though. It may be me being a blinkered Pixar fanboy but I loved it. I'm sure I'd have loved Ralph if I'd seen it as well, and would have been happy with either winning. It's a John Lasseter win either way, so all power to the Mouse.

HG, seeing Zero Dark on the big screen is essential personally. The end sequence that really needs no introduction is one of the greatest sequences ive ever seen on film. The sound too sends a shock right through your body. I can't wait for the blu ray.

The problem is not too cinemas are carrying it anymore.

Im a pixar fan too and Wall e is genius. However I feel Pixar have been running out of ideas lately.

• Awards Moderator

HG, seeing Zero Dark on the big screen is essential personally. The end sequence that really needs no introduction is one of the greatest sequences ive ever seen on film. The sound too sends a shock right through your body. I can't wait for the blu ray.

The problem is not too cinemas are carrying it anymore.

Im a pixar fan too and Wall e is genius. However I feel Pixar have been running out of ideas lately.

I'll have a root around - the cinema nearest to me tends to get things a few weeks or months behind the multiplexes (Beasts of the Southern Wild, Amour and Argo were only shown this weekend) so it might arrive there soon.

I can see what you mean about Pixar (the trailer for Monsters University hasn't totally convinced me it'll be up to the standard of the first one) but I wouldn't have put Brave in that 'running out of ideas' camp. It's a basic story at heart, yeah, but I think that was the point; they wanted to try out a fairy tale, and they made what I'd say was a pretty good one.

Mind you, after you've made Wall-E followed by Up followed by Toy Story 3, anything you do afterwards is going to seem like a step down - how do you top those three?

Plus, I'm pretty sure Brave is the most stunning depiction of Scotland ever in a film. The place looks absolutely gorgeous throughout.

(And yes, I know it's CG, but it's still Scotland!)

• Awards Moderator

I thought she came across well at the Oscars - certainly no worse than anyone else. Jennifer Lawrence has come out of it with most of the positive press, but Hathaway didn't do anything to embarrass herself in her speech or anything. Plus she was part of the Les Mis singalong which I really enjoyed.

EDIT: It seems that it's a lot to do with her BAFTA acceptance speech, which went a bit long. Apparently she - shock - practiced a winner's speech for the Oscars so that she didn't seem too unlikeable and it'd go better than the one last month. Obviously, no other actor has ever done this.

• Moderators
I've seen either a bunch of people expressing that opinion, or opining on other people expressing that opinion. What did she actually do? I haven't really had a chance to have a look at an Oscars recap yet.

Some people just don't like clowns.

Archived