PRO WRESTLING REPUBLIC ~ June 29th ~ Sheffield Leadmill

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh and lolz at the people who took a booking off him... Again..

Yes, lets all laugh at the guys who may have lost a nights work taking a booking. Im surprised the grooves on that record haven't worn down yet.Whatever your feelings are on Steven and his various enterprises, begrudging wrestlers for taking a booking when some (including a guy who you seem to constantly argue with on twitter) do this as a full time job to pay the bills is getting a bit silly. I know most will find bookings elsewhere if there are other shows running that night but you cant expect them to turn down a booking with a guy, good or bad reputation, who's shows are always noticed. Im sure if they had reservations they worked something out in advance with him. If it comes out that any of them were screwed over in any way, then feel free to message me and say I told you so and ill gladly apologise, but when it comes down to it, perceived 'morals' wont pay the rent. That said, with the other comments from angry fans, I hope you receive your refunds and aren't left too much out of pocket or can get refunds on travel/hotel expenses, its shitty whenever a show gets cancelled, no matter who the promoter is.

• Paid Members

While I won't go about it in the way Hitman did (which was somewhat childish but did have a point) it really is just nonsensical for anyone to take a booking off someone like Gauntley and expect to be paid or in some cases for the show to even be on.He's got a history of pulling this rubbish again and again and hopefully on this occasion not too many people were ripped off (this forum seems to have it nailed down by now with paying on the doors but there is still a large enough community that doesn't use the UKFF and doesn't know his rep) but judging by Facebook and the fact they were using Skiddle and such I think some people have escaped this time; bar hotels if already booked which is a complete ball ache for some.I won't begrudge any wrestler losing a night's income and I hope that they are able to pull up an extra show from somewhere that night/weekend to make up for it (the quality of wrestlers involved you'd guarantee someone would book if they're running something) but you can't really have expected them to be putting that much focus on this event as if it would go ahead. Hopefully this is the final time he tries to run anything as it's just getting all a bit pathetic now. I won't make any sweeping general statement like this is ruining British Wrestling or any of that bollocks, but for the general fan that may have already purchased tickets as it was in their area for it to be cancelled it may put them off future events and that's something that could hurt the business.

• Paid Members

If Gauntley wanted to get back into the wrestling business, I don't know why he would aim his new product at the exact same group of fans that were burned by him previously. As this thread proved, nobody that was aware of his previous dealings was willing to put their trust in him. So who, realistically, did he expect to sell tickets to? As it happens, I may have checked this show out, but I was very much of the thinking that if I go, I will pay on the door.I actually thought the concept for this promotion was very strong, the venue is great and a solid roster was assembled. Unfortunately for him his entire target market had no faith in him.

Hopefully this is the final time he tries to run anything as it's just getting all a bit pathetic now.

It won't be. He'd never have put this show on if he ever had plans to stop doing it.I'm with hitman on this btw. Although in saying that, I don't really care about people taking bookings from Gauntley. It's the ones who will no doubt complain about being let down afterwards I have a problem with, as if this is some sort of big surprise. Anyone who works with Gauntley should do so knowing that there's more than a 50% chance they won't see a single penny from him, and when they don't, they have no right to complain.

Hopefully this is the final time he tries to run anything as it's just getting all a bit pathetic now.

It won't be. He'd never have put this show on if he ever had plans to stop doing it.I'm with hitman on this btw. Although in saying that, I don't really care about people taking bookings from Gauntley. It's the ones who will no doubt complain about being let down afterwards I have a problem with, as if this is some sort of big surprise. Anyone who works with Gauntley should do so knowing that there's more than a 50% chance they won't see a single penny from him, and when they don't, they have no right to complain.
I do agree with you on that point, when a guy works for any promotion or promoter who has had incidents in his history and is worried about it occurring again, then it is their job to secure some form of insurance should anything go wrong. What I disagree with is Hitmans insistance that guys should flat out turn down the booking out of principle.

I do agree with you on that point, when a guy works for any promotion or promoter who has had incidents in his history and is worried about it occurring again, then it is their job to secure some form of insurance should anything go wrong. What I disagree with is Hitmans insistance that guys should flat out turn down the booking out of principle.
Whilst you're right i am a cunt.. And it does look a little crass the way i worded my response the fact is these guys got warned by me (and others several times) since gauntley announced this show, we warned against bookings because he wasn't going to honour them.This is a guy who's pulled a scam at every incarnation of promotion hes run from 1pw to this one, hell this ime he was advertizing british guys who weren't even aware of being booked for it!So yeah whilst i was cuntish to be a little lolz you guys are idiots..again about i what else can we do? We passed warnings off to people and predicted what was goingtoo happen but they ignored them, it wasnt just in ring talent either, ben aulds bang out of pocket for taking gauntley at his word over sharing the costs over imported talent and bens been around and seen/heard the gauntley stories and still got involved.And whilst being moralistic might be a bad thing in wrestling why cant these guys say "fuck you you've scammed me/my mates/the fans so many times we aint doing it"?! Its not like trav or ligs or hayes etc will be short of bookings on that one date theyre big name guys here and are used all over the uk.In saying that its not just talen that should be fucking him off but guys like ben who know the score shouldnt be working with him in a financial capacity.So yeah apologes for the crassness.

I was intrigued about this show but many of my friends in the wrestling business said it was run by Gauntley who had a bad rep.1PW was about between my days of following/working in wrestling, just curious as to what he did to get such a piss poor rep?

I was intrigued about this show but many of my friends in the wrestling business said it was run by Gauntley who had a bad rep.1PW was about between my days of following/working in wrestling, just curious as to what he did to get such a piss poor rep?

Announced shows, advertised talent who were never booked, and never bothered holding the events. When 1PW went under the first time he stopped answering emails and calls so everyone had a sense it was coming but that just made it harder to get their money back. When he did do things to the end (1UP Games shop with the original 1PW) he proved he was completely useless there too. I could order stuff and tell him I was paying by cheque (I was a teenager at the time with no paypal account so I'd get my mum to send cheques and give her the money) the DVD would turn up the next day while the cheque was still ready to go. I always sent it as I don't do theft but I wonder how many people clocked on to that and ended up with free merch?I'm sure Dale will say the opposite here to defend his friend but I did notice periods where Dale was spamming UK Wrestling groups on Facebook and not in a "aggressive advertising" kind of way, in the "desperation 3 posts in one group in a day" way so I can only guess, and that's all it is, a guess, that people smartened up, anyone who was going to go was paying on the door, Gauntley still hadn't learned and was relying on ticket sales to pay talent and as the show got nearer panicked he couldn't pay anyone and didn't want to risk being thrown through one of the Leadmills windows by one of his happy workers so canceled the show. If I'm right do I get a free ticket to Gauntley's next relaunch as a prize? They might as well send me one anyway it'll be one they get right when they don't refund it after canceling the show.

• Paid Members

Whilst you're right i am a cunt.. And it does look a little crass the way i worded my response the fact is these guys got warned by me (and others several times) since gauntley announced this show, we warned against bookings because he wasn't going to honour them.This is a guy who's pulled a scam at every incarnation of promotion hes run from 1pw to this one, hell this ime he was advertizing british guys who weren't even aware of being booked for it!So yeah whilst i was cuntish to be a little lolz you guys are idiots..again about i what else can we do? We passed warnings off to people and predicted what was goingtoo happen but they ignored them, it wasnt just in ring talent either, ben aulds bang out of pocket for taking gauntley at his word over sharing the costs over imported talent and bens been around and seen/heard the gauntley stories and still got involved.And whilst being moralistic might be a bad thing in wrestling why cant these guys say "fuck you you've scammed me/my mates/the fans so many times we aint doing it"?! Its not like trav or ligs or hayes etc will be short of bookings on that one date theyre big name guys here and are used all over the uk.In saying that its not just talen that should be fucking him off but guys like ben who know the score shouldnt be working with him in a financial capacity.So yeah apologes for the crassness.
While I was going to avoid this thread I feel I should maybe write something seen as Hitman wants to put my name out there.It's hard to explain why I got involved with Gauntley with out implicating others , you know something. I'm not whinging that I have lost out financially - my mistake , my fuck up - time to take it on the chin and move on.If I was to actually paste the email conversations on here you might all be shocked , end of the day I was supposed to be dealing with all flights but things got tipped on it's head and suddenly Gauntlety was sorting out Corinos. I'm gutted this has happened for two main reasons , One is Steve Corinio has been screwed again. Steve is a complete gentleman - I even offered to send him half the money up front after what happened to him by Tom Russon - his responce was that enough of his friends have worked for me that he didn't need it.Second is fans being let down , I have booked a great replacement but still not delivered who I have advertised. I do not want to be that promotor . I have worked my bollox of for nearly 3 years to constantly deliver to fans , this is why I am so annoyed by myself.I know people will mock me for getting involved with him ( Hitman even facebooked me to say told you so ) well I guess you were right - don't know what else to say.Just on a second note - I booked Jacobs flight and sent his Visa application of yesterday

Second is fans being let down , I have booked a great replacement but still not delivered who I have advertised. I do not want to be that promotor . I have worked my bollox of for nearly 3 years to constantly deliver to fans , this is why I am so annoyed by myself.

Know its far from a priority but might want to change your sig then so it doesn't advertise someone who wont be there.

Ben you put you're name out there when you chose to make that public statement on facebook about this whole fucking mess.

Hitman even facebooked me to say told you so

No i didn't.. I pm'd saying i did try to warn you, it wasnt a "ha ha told you so" type of message it was "mate i did try to warn you, and you should sue the fucker" You agreed with me...

Like I said in the PM with you, I agree with you on some level, but the way you go about things is a bit much at times. If the guys have any reservations about a booking, its their job to sort some sort of insurance if anything were to happen. Ben hits it on the head, especially with his second point, the worst part of any situation like this is when fans are left out of pocket or without the guys they wanted to see. Guys like Ben and other promoters up and down the country do a great job to boost the reputation of british companies and deliver great shows, and its thanks to these companies that when things like this happen, the impact on fans is minimal.

Like I said in the PM with you, I agree with you on some level, but the way you go about things is a bit much at times. If the guys have any reservations about a booking, its their job to sort some sort of insurance if anything were to happen. .

Yeah i agree its a bit much at times but its staggering how many times this happens and to the same people...

Ben hits it on the head, especially with his second point, the worst part of any situation like this is when fans are left out of pocket or without the guys they wanted to see. Guys like Ben and other promoters up and down the country do a great job to boost the reputation of british companies and deliver great shows, and its thanks to these companies that when things like this happen, the impact on fans is minimal

Absolutely spot on.

Archived