Mount Everest gigapixel panoramic picture

Stylin_and_Profilin

Lifted from another forum i'm a member of and was in two minds to put this in the iconic pictures thread from a while back but suffice to say it definitely deserves it's own thread.

As it says on the tin - a gigapixel photograph of Mount Everest.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/Gigapans/EBC_Pumor..._8bit_FLAT.html

Aside from seeing it in the flesh i guess nothing will do something of this scale the justice it deserves. That being said i've never seen anything like this before in my life. Technology is fucking incredible it really is.

Putting it into perspective the yellow dots along the bottom of the glacier that look like crumbs are actually campsites :omg:

Bonus points if you can pick out the various groups on the ascent; i'm struggling but apparently there are a few dotted around.

• Paid Members

ive gotten interested in Mount Everest this last week or so funnily enough, watching some documentaries and things about it. Amazing picture, until i zoomed in on the camp's i really didn't realise how vast the whole thing is, wow!

ive gotten interested in Mount Everest this last week or so funnily enough, watching some documentaries and things about it. Amazing picture, until i zoomed in on the camp's i really didn't realise how vast the whole thing is, wow!

I just thought all the colour was litter!

Spectacular stuff.

Not Everest, but did you catch that documentary the other night on one of the BBC channels about the North face of the Eiger? That was excellent too

• Paid Members
Not Everest, but did you catch that documentary the other night on one of the BBC channels about the North face of the Eiger? That was excellent too

yeh i watched it, it's an insane place. I've seen a documentary about the story of the failed 1936 attempt they told on there called The Beckoning Silence, it's well worth looking up.

I've also got a copy of The North Face, which is a German movie based on the same incident, i haven't got around to watching it yet. The Clint Eastwood movie, The Eiger Sanction is also based on the North Face, i saw that a year or two back but didn't really have the interest in the mountain then, i'll have to go back to it.

yeh i watched it, it's an insane place. I've seen a documentary about the story of the failed 1936 attempt they told on there called The Beckoning Silence, it's well worth looking up.

I've also got a copy of The North Face, which is a German movie based on the same incident, i haven't got around to watching it yet. The Clint Eastwood movie, The Eiger Sanction is also based on the North Face, i saw that a year or two back but didn't really have the interest in the mountain then, i'll have to go back to it.

The one where the guy was hanging by a rope in full view of everyone for days before he died?

That's what seems like the most intriguing aspect of that mountain, how it's so close to civilisation and the contrast between the different environments - both the village/resort, and the railway through the mountain with a door straight out onto the madness.

Like so much of the Swiss (and French) alps, the whole area looks stunning just from pics and browsing street view. Would be some life there!

Will have to check out those films whenever they're next on, cheers.

Archived